Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.

S.E.V.
THREAD ­ STARTER
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 29, 2011 18:09 |  #76

Gel wrote in post #13324548 (external link)
SEV, generally I only deliver 400-700 shots. Usually I'll take anywhere between 1000-2000 at a wedding but as I have no idea on the weather, the people, numbers thereof and things going on then I might not even fill a card and deliver 400.

The more images a couple get, the weaker the overall album is and there is an absolute limit to how many a couple can look at before getting fed up. Even of their own wedding.

You guys in the US pay sooo much for wedding photography. We watch 'Four Weddings USA' and regularly squeal at the 60K budgets.

You've been given a gift by your tog...the Raws. I don't think there is any lattitude to sue as if it's anything like here in the UK you'll only get a percentage back.

BTW, all the EXIF data is still in the images you've posted, the camera tpye, metering, shutter settings and oh, the copyright detailing who took them. Which makes me also wonder, are these exported from the RAWs by yourself or are they the finished product supplied by the tog (who would usually take them out).

Saying that, I don't but I shoot manual and have no auto settings to hide :D

I edited nothing, just uploaded them as is if anything I only re-sized them to 800 long side. Not stripping any info from the exif.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

sponsored links
Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 29, 2011 18:50 |  #77

Ok, well maybe Photoshop CS6 will sort the ring shot out.

Chris Giles Photography

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 29, 2011 18:59 |  #78

Gel wrote in post #13326330 (external link)

Hopefully is was shot with that light camera... you know the focus after the picture is taken one.

Peter

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 29, 2011 20:06 |  #79

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #13326355 (external link)
Hopefully is was shot with that light camera... you know the focus after the picture is taken one.

lol, the lytro camera? that thing looks pretty cool for some things. the glass isn't very sharp though.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 29, 2011 20:19 |  #80

I was going to say something about the OP's assertion that $2000 was in the low range, and other posts have said that price range is 'full of amateurs.' Then I saw where he was posting from (the LA area) and realized that probably is in the low range.

I always have at least 4 'entire wedding day' galleries rotating on my SmugMug site (external link) so my clients can see that I maintain a high standard from beginning to end. I'd recommend anyone looking for a wedding photographer ask to see such examples. Sure, it's a lot to look through (normally 500 or so finished images), but if it makes my clients feel better, I have no problems with that.

As for suing the photographer (which I'm not even sure the OP was intending to do), that's a bad idea all the way around. Probably the best you could do would be to get your $$ back but you'd still have to pay all those court costs, take the time to fight it, and for what? It'd be better to work with the photographer directly and see if you can't work something out. I've only ever had one issue with an unhappy couple (the groom was 'disappointed' in the total number of portrait images, as well as their location...even though the bride's tardiness was responsible for most of that!), and was able to smooth things over after discussing the day's logistics with him later on.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 30, 2011 01:56 |  #81

Gel wrote in post #13326330 (external link)

That ring shot sure raised a lot of drama. It is the one shot that COULD be recreated by the OP if it really mattered that much...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 30, 2011 05:18 |  #82

suecassidy wrote in post #13327270 (external link)
That ring shot sure raised a lot of drama. It is the one shot that COULD be recreated by the OP if it really mattered that much...

Or maybe even, that shot was deliberate.

Chris Giles Photography

S.E.V.
THREAD ­ STARTER
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 30, 2011 09:56 |  #83

PhotoMatte wrote in post #13326537 (external link)
I was going to say something about the OP's assertion that $2000 was in the low range, and other posts have said that price range is 'full of amateurs.' Then I saw where he was posting from (the LA area) and realized that probably is in the low range.

I always have at least 4 'entire wedding day' galleries rotating on my SmugMug site (external link) so my clients can see that I maintain a high standard from beginning to end. I'd recommend anyone looking for a wedding photographer ask to see such examples. Sure, it's a lot to look through (normally 500 or so finished images), but if it makes my clients feel better, I have no problems with that.

As for suing the photographer (which I'm not even sure the OP was intending to do), that's a bad idea all the way around. Probably the best you could do would be to get your $$ back but you'd still have to pay all those court costs, take the time to fight it, and for what? It'd be better to work with the photographer directly and see if you can't work something out. I've only ever had one issue with an unhappy couple (the groom was 'disappointed' in the total number of portrait images, as well as their location...even though the bride's tardiness was responsible for most of that!), and was able to smooth things over after discussing the day's logistics with him later on.

Well that's why I asked for all the RAW files so I can see if I can manage something out of them.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 31, 2011 16:25 |  #84

Based on what I see the photographer did a good job. Of course, what you can do with a raw file and the photographer are totally different as each of you would do have a different style of editing.

At this point, I think you should move on and have fun with the edits. Not many photographers would give up the RAW files.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 05, 2011 19:28 |  #85

when you pick this particular photographer, what kind of work did he show you? is it not consistent with what you are getting?

Gearlist

SchwettyLens
197 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 06, 2011 07:19 |  #86

I think the photographer did ok but failed at culling.

http://usagani.com (external link)

lil_miss
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 06, 2011 21:37 as a reply to  @ SchwettyLens's post |  #87

bnlearle wrote in post #13317957 (external link)
I'll be honest. After seeing those, I think you're wanting more than what you paid for. I was expecting far worse. And some of your critique is just wrong. The one with the two people walking back down the aisle... I almost NEVER am in the aisle for that -- usually shoot it the same way. I love the feel of it over the guests' heads.

I think the photographer screwed up by giving you too many images so you're focusing on the bad ones. That and I think you're wanting more than what you paid for. Not saying YOU did this, but it reminds me of when I was starting and a couple would show me photos that they liked -- as if it's that easy (just show me a photo and I can make it happen without a problem :P). All I could think was, if you like those photos by that photographer who is WAY more expensive than I am, why don't you hire them? The answer was simple back then -- they wanted to believe they could pay me beginner photographer prices and get experienced photographer results.

I feel like that might be happening here.

caught14 wrote in post #13321031 (external link)
The biggest surprise for me is that your photographer actually gave you the RAW images. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a photographer giving the client the RAW images. I'd consider that very valuable in terms of compensation for you. Other than the online gallery, I haven't seen any compelling evidence that the photographer should refund a portion of your money. Good luck, and I hope that you find some images that you are satisfied with. It sounds like you had more than just the hired photographer working for you...

I agree with both of these... while it sux that you're not entirely happy with these.. I do think your expectations were obviously not matched with what he could deliver.

A bunch of Canon bits and pieces.

Blog (external link) :: Facebook (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 09, 2011 13:56 |  #88

too much tilting IMO, but good use of off camera flash.

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 09, 2011 14:16 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

Svetlana wrote in post #13376692 (external link)
too much tilting IMO, but good use of off camera flash.

Thanks! Like I told other people before, these are only my “first” few weddings I did. Considering the fact that I started photography in July, 2010, I think these shots are pretty good for my experience. I try to shoot better now, with more interesting compositions. Post processing got much better with RPG LR keys too :-)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

ImaginePhotography
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 18, 2011 07:41 |  #90

This was likely mentioned earlier but I haven't read all 7 pages yet...

It is vitally important that any potential clients view several, and I mean several, full weddings of any potential wedding photographer. Any chucklehead can get together 100 lucky shots over a few weddings and put the cream of the crop on their site for the world to see. A full wedding will show you how they work hour after hour.

Also, quantity of images shouldn't be the focus, within reason. I'd rather have 50 amazing shots of my wedding than 250 mediocre ones. That's where working within your budget and being creative with it can be handy.

Photographer A is 2k for 6 hours and is mediocre
Photographer B is exceptional and costs 2k for 3 hours.

Photog A will be there to get all of the stuff as it happens such as cake cutting, garter toss, etc

Photog B won't be there for all of that, but he sure can stage a cake cutting with you, and maybe even work with you and the DJ ahead of time and see if the reception can be front-loaded with a couple of special parts so he/she can get them captured. (we are asked to play the role of Photographer B frequently)

And really, at the end of the day, which photos get put above the fireplace? Everyone dancing half drunk all night, or you and your new spouse embraced in a wonderful shot?

Sorry things didn't work out and I wish you the best in your marriage

Cheers

www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)

sponsored links

47,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.