Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which FLASH ~100$ should I pick for my 7D?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 28, 2011 07:10 |  #16

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13319487 (external link)
I find the assortment of 3rd-party flashes very interesting
But I always worry about reliability. If something happens to a Canon flash, we know where to send it to fix it, and we have a rough idea how long it will take.
If your thinking is that the flash is disposable and you'll just another to replace it, it may not take long before you could have just bought a reliable one
I have zero experience with any flash outside of Canon's own, but have friends that went the cheap route only to moan about it later

yeah, I've been moaning about my cheap 3rd-party non-Canon flash for years - moaning about how great it is !

sponsored links
mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 28, 2011 07:38 |  #17

But I always worry about reliability. If something happens to a Canon flash, we know where to send it to fix it, and we have a rough idea how long it will take.
If your thinking is that the flash is disposable and you'll just another to replace it, it may not take long before you could have just bought a reliable one

I have zero experience with any flash outside of Canon's own, but have friends that went the cheap route only to moan about it later

This is true, if my Yongnuo's pack up a year from now, thats it, I have to replace it.

But at £95.00 a pop compared to £340.00 for the Canon, it is a risk I am prepared to take. :-)

You'll be late for everything because the light was right and the action was good (magoosmc)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 28, 2011 23:53 |  #18

You have several levels of third party flashes.
At the top would be companies that produce high quality designs and have US service centers. You should feel perfectly safe with them. Metz, Sunpak, and Sigma all fit into this category and make very good units. You can't go wrong with them unless you want wireless E-TTL through pocket wizards.

Next you have retail stores in the US with good reputations who hire out Chinese manufacturing companies to make them a "store brand" unit. Adorama's Flashpoint brand would be an example. With support and service from a good company like Adorama you don't have to worry as much but the quality will likely be less than that of the better brands.

Next you have companies who do nothing but sell stuff that is ordered from a manufacturer of generalized devices. You will often find nearly identical units under different brand names which are made in the same plant by the same people with only cosmetic differences. A good example would be Bower, Vivitar and such. Often these are the same devices as "store brands" and service can vary from brand to brand depending on who the "store" is. These are the ones I avoid.

Then you have companies that are trying to break into the market with new and innovative products. Nissin and Yongnuo come to mind. They represent a great value but they dont' have US service centers, or even offices and thus a greater risk.

But sometimes that doesn't matter. If you can get a flash for $100 with the features of a $300 flash, you can buy two and have a spare if the first one breaks. No reason to service it. Just throw it away. You're still $100 ahead. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 29, 2011 09:52 |  #19

kfreels wrote in post #13323332 (external link)
Then you have companies that are trying to break into the market with new and innovative products. Nissin and Yongnuo come to mind.

Ummm, Nissin has been making flashes for decade now. Like 5 decades so they arn't really one of the new players in the game.

To the OP: yongnuo is a good flash to look into if you want an inexpensive option. Personally I went with the yn468. Good little flash that has ETTL, manual, and optical slave modes so I found it to be a good option for me to learn about flash photography with.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 29, 2011 10:20 |  #20

gremlin75 wrote in post #13324537 (external link)
Ummm, Nissin has been making flashes for decade now. Like 5 decades so they arn't really one of the new players in the game.

To the OP: yongnuo is a good flash to look into if you want an inexpensive option. Personally I went with the yn468. Good little flash that has ETTL, manual, and optical slave modes so I found it to be a good option for me to learn about flash photography with.

Fair enough. I read several places that they just started making dedicated units in the last 5 years but if that's not true then they belong in their own category - a long-time maker with a US distributor and no US service center. I'm actually planning to buy one of these soon as my Sigma doesn't work with the Phottix Odin (nor does anything else but the canon EX units) and the Nissin is reported to do so.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 29, 2011 10:44 |  #21

kfreels wrote in post #13324623 (external link)
a long-time maker with a US distributor and no US service center.

The no service center is the disheartening thing or me as their flashes arnt exactly on the cheap side like yongnuo so it would be nice to have a service center. I knew nothing about Nissin until I ran across a review for the di866. Since then I've been quite interested in the 866. Amazing specs and less then the 580ex2.

Josh13
164 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 29, 2011 20:46 as a reply to  @ post 13319487 |  #22

Maybe a used 420EX it has ETTL and canon quality just no manual control. I got mine for $100 on craigslist.

5DIV, Elan 7n, 400 f4 DO I, 100-400mm II, 1.4x TCIII, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8 STM, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7rIII, A6300, 100-400 GM, 85 f1.4 GM, 90 Macro, 55 f1.8, 16-35 F4, 35 f2.8, Batis 25 f2, Samyang 14 f2.8 AF, MC-11.
D500, 200-500, Tokina 300 f2.8, 35 f1.8
S110, D20, Hero 6, 3+

mjHession
Goldmember
1,963 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 29, 2011 20:52 |  #23

Sigma 500 dg super, maybe?

Primary Gear - M6 Mark II; Σ 35mm f/1.4 A - Σ 150-600mm f/5 - 6.3 C
Canon 1.4x II & 2x II

Full Gear List - Feedback

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 31, 2011 07:07 |  #24

gremlin75 wrote in post #13324709 (external link)
The no service center is the disheartening thing or me as their flashes arnt exactly on the cheap side like yongnuo so it would be nice to have a service center..

the lack of local service centers shouldn't be a concern for flashes, they seem to last for years. my yongnuo has been going strong for over three years, if something bad happens then I'll spend another
.......... $35

cloudbuster
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 07:42 |  #25

im looking for a bargain flash too :)
what mean flash talk - the different terms, syng high speed master slave.
where can I find that to better understand. thanks.

MinnGreenGT
281 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 01, 2011 10:24 |  #26

If you're interested in learning about off-camera flash techniques (generally using speedlites), then spend some time reading the Strobist: http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …/welcome-to-strobist.html (external link) (especially his "lighting 101" series).

As for an actual glossary of terms, check out this http://photo.tutsplus.​com …asters-lighting-glossary/ (external link) or this PDF from B&H: http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …roLighting/15Gl​ossary.pdf (external link)

As for the discussion of service, I have a brief experience with Yongnuo. My first YN-467 stopped working after only brief session of shooting the day I received it. I contacted the seller (eBay, Hong Kong, not Yongnuo directly), who said it was the first time he'd had an issue as such. I sent the dead unit back (on my dime, about $12-14 USPS to HK), and they sent a replacement - which arrived about a week later. I have had the unit a few years without any issues since. Well... the bounce card/diffuser thing broke - but that had everything to do with me dropping the camera (which also resulted in me sending my 24-70 f/2.8 back to Sigma for repair - *ouch*).

I absolutely recommend Yongnuo flashes to those interested in testing the waters. My flash kit now contains my YN 467, an old ProMaster speedlite, 2 Nikon SB-28s (great for Off Camera lights), and a couple of Flashpoint/Mettle Strobes.

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 | Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,253 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 01, 2011 20:57 |  #27

ezella wrote in post #13308981 (external link)
My purpose is to shoot indoor. I am using 24-105 F4 L (just 1 len at this time).

Thanks for attention.

Do you plan on using the wireless off camera flash capability of your 7D?

If so, the cheapest way to do this is with a used Canon 420EX (about $120) or a new Yongnuo YN-565. (about $150)

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

ezella
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 02, 2011 01:18 |  #28

thanks for all. I will consider YN -565... it's about 135$ in my country.

CanonCleGuy
680 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2011 09:32 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

I understand that 420EX is a wonderful flash but its 7-8 years old. It may break anytime and canon's repair isn't cheap and you pay shipping too. For the same price why not go for YN-565. If the comparison is between 430 II and yn 565 then its a different story

5D Mark 3 | 7D + BG-E7 | 60D (Wife)
70-200 II L | 50 L | 100mm L | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 2X III | 28-135 (Wife) Wishlist: BG-E11 + 24-70 L, 24-70 II L , 1DX :shock:
600 EX-RT | 430 EX II | Manfrotto tripod + head | Lowepro

sponsored links

3,621 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which FLASH ~100$ should I pick for my 7D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.