Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 01 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So, ever get NO feedback on your wedding photos?

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 01, 2011 14:57 |  #1

I shot my first paid wedding back in September. This came about after talking with the mother of the groom. My second shooter and I are pretty experienced photographers but had never shot a wedding before. We spent huge amounts of time preparing, and we were very pleased with the results (and both of us are highly critical of our own and each others' work).

It took me about 3 weeks to pull everything together after the wedding. I delivered an online gallery plus a DVD set to the bride and groom. There were 2 DVDs of images and a slideshow DVD set to music that I prepared. All were printed with an image of the bride and groom on the DVDs and, I think, looked very professional.

I showed the pictures and slideshow to some close friends and asked for critique, and all said the same thing, that they were great and the wedding couple got much more than they paid for. Basically, what they paid me for this first wedding didn't even cover our expenses, but we were OK with that.

The bride and groom returned from their honeymoon one week after the wedding, and I got an email asking how it was going with the pictures and when they'd see them, saying they were very anxious to see them. With another full-time job and as a soccer coach too, I was using any available free time to finish the pictures and deliver them.

At almost 3 weeks, I emailed a pointer to the online gallery with instructions on how to navigate around. I sent it to the groom and said he could feel free to forward it to his friends and family. I told him the DVDs would be in the mail in a couple of days and asked that he let me know when he got them. He emailed me when he received them and thanked me for "all our hard work."

Weeks went by, and when I checked gallery statistics on the online gallery, I saw more than 14,000 hits on photos in that gallery. However, not a single comment on any photo in the gallery and not a single comment from the bride and groom. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and sent the groom a quick email, saying we'd appreciate any feedback at all so we can continue to improve and grow as wedding photographers....No response. I emailed the groom's mother, my initial contact, and told her that I wasn't trying to get her son in trouble but was really wondering if they were disappointed by the photos, since I hadn't heard anything. She wrote back immediately and said, "No! Everyone was thrilled with the photos! I'm sure he'll be sending you an email soon!" That was a couple of weeks ago, and still nothing!

How odd is this? Or is this pretty typical once the bride and groom get what they want? This is a very young couple. In fact, I have two kids older than bride and groom, and I know that emailing them is like sending email into a black hole. I don't want to be obnoxious and press them for feedback, but is there anything else I should do? I'm pretty perplexed by this!

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,424 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 01, 2011 15:26 |  #2

it varies...
I have couples that email me minutes after reviewing their photos, and other couples that take quite a while... I used to worry about it, now I don't - I follow the delivery tracking (when shipped) and once delivered, I stop worrying.

5D4 / Want a 1D X
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2011 15:30 as a reply to  @ SMP_Homer's post |  #3

Just walk away.

Definitely don't push them.

Take their silence as positive feedback, because you know as well as anyone else on here that if they DID NOT like anything at all, you'd be the first to know.

Some people just have no manners or simply don't think about it.

Theyre on their honeymoon period still and maybe even busy.

Who knows?

Your job is done.

Hopefully you do hear from them but if not just move on.

Support this site - donate here

SchwettyLens
197 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 01, 2011 15:31 |  #4

Dont worry about it man. It is always like that. There is time you think you did awesome, clients are not as thrilled. There will be time when you think you didn't deliver your A game, the clients love it. Dont think about stuff like that.

http://usagani.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,937 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2011 15:42 |  #5

It's not unusual. Some people don't think to thank you. You just did what they paid you to do.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 01, 2011 15:53 |  #6

Did you forget to lock down the gallery so now they and all their guests have downloaded everything they want?

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 01, 2011 15:58 |  #7

Not unusual....I even had a couple not ever return my calls when I tried to set up delivery of their pictures (his parents set up the photography and paid for it). It was a last minute gig and in the rush I had forgotten to get an address to send the disc to.

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,727 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 01, 2011 16:07 |  #8

I wouldn't worry about it. From what you described, you've done a professional job. While I understand you might want feedback that you can use for marketing purposes and also to improve, but I wouldn't really push this too hard. Some people just aren't incline to give any feedback. Just the way it is...

NYC Wedding Photographer (external link) | Blog (external link) | facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear

justanothaguy
58 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 01, 2011 16:29 |  #9

the old saying no news is good news.. After spending my whole life dealing with customer service you realize that some people no matter how thrilled with the service won't thank or congratulate you for it, they figure you provided a paid service and they were just happy with... However had they been dissatisfied you would know about it.

T3i Gripped / 5D MK II Gripped
EF 16-35 F/2.8L II, EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Σ 70-200 F/2.8 OS, EF 50 1.8 II, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 Non-vc, EF-s 55-250 IS, Kenko Extension tubes, 580 Ex II x2

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Nov 01, 2011 16:35 as a reply to  @ justanothaguy's post |  #10

tim wrote in post #13338644 (external link)
It's not unusual. Some people don't think to thank you. You just did what they paid you to do.

+1 the thanks is in the payment. I never call the guarage after they have serviced my car, I never call the restraint after a good meal. You did your jub, they payed, Nuff said!

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,424 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 01, 2011 17:09 |  #11

also keep in mind... if they were really happy with the images, they're too busy posting them to FB or showing them off to friends and relatives, etc...

5D4 / Want a 1D X
Sig85 /35L/100L/135L/16-35L II/70-200L II/100-400L

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 01, 2011 17:12 |  #12

I think you'd be hearing something if they were unhappy with anything, so I would take no news to be good news, especially since you've heard they were happy already. It makes you appreciate the clients you have that really value what you do when you have them.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 01, 2011 18:50 |  #13

nicksan wrote in post #13338763 (external link)
While I understand you might want feedback that you can use for marketing purposes and also to improve, but I wouldn't really push this too hard.

I really agree with this, it sounds like you're not confident in the job you did. From a customer's perspective, if I hired a photographer and they were bugging me for feedback on the job I paid them for, I would think it is odd.

As said before, if they were unhappy they would likely let you know.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 01, 2011 19:40 |  #14

I always get a lot of gushing from the couple when we're together. But nearly never a comment posted by anyone in the on-line gallery and only an occasional comment on my FB page. That's just the way it is. Doesn't mean they don't like the work.

You really need to make the time to sit with them to go over the images in person. It's a very important sales opportunity.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 01, 2011 19:44 |  #15

Well if you really are looking for feedback you could include a pre-stamped feedback card/mailer thing with their CD asking a few questions or something. They might take the time to do that, who knows.

Gear List

sponsored links

3,317 views & 0 likes for this thread
So, ever get NO feedback on your wedding photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.