Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 31 Oct 2011 (Monday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropped a 1d MKIV

lforme
104 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 14:34 |  #1

Hi all,
Has anyone dealt with the canon repair service?
My strap just came undone and the camera with 24-70mm hit a granite floor from about 4ft:(
It amazingly still works fine but has a couple of small marks on 1 corner and looks like its got a 3mm crack in it on the corner, is it likely to have done some unseen damage inside.
The 24-70 has bent in a bit on the filter thread.
I'm also worried its not 100% weather sealed anymore as im in the Marines and it will have a hard life outdoors.
Am I likely to be without it for a while during repair?
Is it even possible to repair the weather sealing without replacing the whole camera?
Sorry for all the questions its only 3 weeks old!
I'll try to get some pics up.
Tim

Lforme

sponsored links
lforme
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 15:22 |  #2

Pics

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Lforme

lforme
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 15:22 |  #3

1 More

HOSTED PHOTO

Lforme

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 31, 2011 15:24 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Looks like it depends on what's in stock and what's not. The filter ring for the lens can easily be replaced. That crack looks finish only. If it's working I doubt Canon will do anything.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 31, 2011 15:29 |  #5

Battle scars... if you ask me. They make the camera yours!

If it doesn't impair anything, I'd be inclined to leave them be and be proud of them.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 31, 2011 15:31 |  #6

lforme wrote in post #13333693 (external link)
Pics

I tripped with my MkIII slung over my shoulder and fell onto an asphalt surface. 70-200 bounced on its lens hood, scuffing the hood a bit and the MkIII body hit the ground with the lower right corner, dented it in a teeny bit and scuffed it down to the metal. Camera and lens still worked perfectly but when I sent it in this fall for clean/check, I asked about an estimate for cosmetic repair. While it was there they replaced the mirror box, claimed the AF tests were a bit off (I never had any AF issues, go figure) and replaced the bottom cover. Total charge (I'm a CPS Gold member) was $346 for everything. There was a standard $209 flat rate labor charge, rest was parts.

Those bodies are damn rugged, yours is probably fine. I would send the lens in for that filter ring though, if you ever want to screw anything on the front of it you're gonna be out of luck, and a friend of mine dropped a 24-70 flat on its lens cap about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor, and while it all appeared to work fine, the manual focus was messed up. It cost him just under $100 to have the focus motor replaced.

lforme
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 15:58 |  #7

Thanks for the advice, I might take it in so the the shop can have a look tomorrow. I'll definately get the filter ring done, I'll miss the 24-70 as its permanently on the camera. It might be an excuse to get the Sigma 50mm I've been eyeing up :-)

Lforme

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 31, 2011 16:49 |  #8

Big question here -- did you have the lens hood on? If not, well, you might consider this a lesson learned:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

lforme
THREAD ­ STARTER
104 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 31, 2011 16:53 |  #9

:oops:Didn't take it with me as it was dark

Lforme

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 31, 2011 17:10 |  #10

lforme wrote in post #13334110 (external link)
:oops:Didn't take it with me as it was dark

Bad bad bad! I put on lens hood regardless of lighting conditions! Lesson learned here I think!

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

pdemetreos
148 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 01, 2011 20:24 |  #11

Pm'd

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 01, 2011 20:36 |  #12

the 1dIV looks alright, the lens filter ring would definitely need to be serviced.

i've seen worse =]

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

tygrtx@gmail.com
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 01, 2011 20:56 |  #13

Thanks for the hard lesson learned. I've recently stopped using my lens hoods so i'll get back to using them!

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 01, 2011 21:16 |  #14

lforme wrote in post #13333445 (external link)
Am I likely to be without it for a while during repair?

You'd have to be VIP to get in-home service.... so yeah, you're without it the whole time they have it ;)

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

avan
512 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 01, 2011 21:51 |  #15

More lucky than me. my 1D4 fall of the tripod hit the rock and slide in the stream I was photographying. The camera was not totally immerge and only a few second. From Canon canada service it is totaly out of repair. The body only have a small dent and the lens a 16-35 only a small sractch, the CPL on it, nothing.

1DMK4, T6s, 100-400mmL IS II, 16-35mm f4, 100mm macro
[www.pbase.com/jeelee/g​alleries (external link)

sponsored links

2,876 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dropped a 1d MKIV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.