Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 Oct 2010 (Thursday) 02:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.

weka2000
Is that a 300mm in your pocket?
20,889 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 30, 2011 14:15 |  #2281

Moppie wrote in post #13327501 (external link)
We are surrounded by some pretty cool talent!

Tony, about time you started shooting again, no reason you couldn't win it next year. :cool:

Yes me and a few others have just seem to have lost the desire. More than anything its a change od scene thats is needed to inspire.

https://500px.com/tony​searle/galleries (external link)

sponsored links
manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 31, 2011 01:26 as a reply to  @ post 13327501 |  #2282

arbnz wrote in post #13317579 (external link)
Dave, I particular liked the photos you put up the other day from the Scotland Vs Argentina were excellent, really captured the atmosphere.

Cheers fella! :)

tongmaster wrote in post #13319378 (external link)
Dave, I might need you to call around and run me through that camera stuff again. Do you look through the big round bit on the front?

Black bit on the side son. I had been wondering just how buried in work you'd be with The Rena thing...

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 31, 2011 02:45 |  #2283

Very cool pic Moppie!

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,367 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 31, 2011 03:00 as a reply to  @ weka2000's post |  #2284

very nice - I have a calendar with the same pic in it. (true!)

Moppie wrote in post #13327501 (external link)
Speaking of shooting again, who remembers my old A80?
I took it out for a walk with a flickr group on Saturday and it still works! :lol:

while you were all out being observant, did anyone notice that the clocks in this shot all tick over the minute at different times? ;)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 31, 2011 03:07 |  #2285

Cheers! even fools like me can get lucky once in a while!

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

klippe
Goldmember
2,166 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 31, 2011 16:35 |  #2286

I am wondering why the greener folk amongst us haven't been down in Tauranga getting all the carnage shots from the Rena oil spills etc (if there are actually any to be had).

I loved the Herald article this morning "Where have all the Rena volunteers gone?" :)

The impossible has begun - another step closer - and I am very hungry for it.
http://www.motorsportm​edia.co.uk (external link)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 31, 2011 16:54 |  #2287

klippe wrote in post #13334034 (external link)
I loved the Herald article this morning "Where have all the Rena volunteers gone?" :)

The same place all the Oil has gone.

While it was a disaster, the good old NZ media, desperate for something exciting and dramatic to happen that would provide attention gathering footage beat it up just a little bit.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

klippe
Goldmember
2,166 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 31, 2011 17:07 |  #2288

Moppie wrote in post #13334116 (external link)
The same place all the Oil has gone.

While it was a disaster, the good old NZ media, desperate for something exciting and dramatic to happen that would provide attention gathering footage beat it up just a little bit.

Oh say it isn't so Moppie! Oh the humanity!

I spoke with someone who holidays down there a lot. He said (in reference to the "clean up" on the beaches) that is was like watching people looking for shells on the beach. Helpers thought they'd found some oil so they pick up a small clump of sand, only to then drop it again when they realised it wasn't oiled up.

Some of what was shown was very bad, but as per usual, blow it out of all proportion again.

Another thing that cracked me up was that some locals were talking about how the fishing industry brought in a lot of the money for the area etc, talking it up as if Tauranga was facing economic collapse as a result of the oil spill (all the while failing to mention the massive amount of Japanese money that comes in through forestry-related exports). Gotta love it!

The media never ceases to disgust and amaze me. Yay for them!

Cliff

The impossible has begun - another step closer - and I am very hungry for it.
http://www.motorsportm​edia.co.uk (external link)

weka2000
20,889 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 31, 2011 18:24 as a reply to  @ klippe's post |  #2289

NZ govt was right ..."deal with it when it hits the beaches"

Trouble is why does it sway a lot when it comes to voting.

akiwi
Cream of the Crop
6,903 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 01, 2011 03:45 |  #2290

Ok, I haven't been there and heard the media reports, but I know someone who has been very involved in the cleanup operations, and has worked her ass off organizing people and getting the job done. On the other hand it is good to hear that their efforts have been successfull.

Peter
www.PeterHansenPhoto.d​e (external link)
Gear:: Canon 7D & 350D :: EF 24-70 F2.8L :: EF-s 17-85:: 50mm 1.8 ::70-200 F4L ::100 F2.8 Macro:: Sigma 10-20 :: 580EX:: Elinchrom studio lights:: loads of other bibs & bobs.

weka2000
20,889 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 01, 2011 04:02 as a reply to  @ akiwi's post |  #2291

There is no way we can prepare nor fund a "cleanup if it happens service". But we can now say no to offshore oil drilling on the east cape. Sometimes a small disaster can prevent us from a bigger one.

Christchurch should be a major warning to auckland to strengthen buildings. The world economic state should be warning to us all not to over commit what we can not pay for should something happen.

No point crying over spilt milk, next time use 2 hands to hold the bottle :lol:
Yet we can not plan to prevent every disaster.

We are still better off than Japan and Thailand

....hops off soapbox ......

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2011 19:33 |  #2292

Guys, i'm seriously considering getting an AlienBees Vagabond Mini Lithium (external link). They cost US$249/$313 in the US, or AU$401/NZ$521 from the Aussie distributor (external link). I have someone in the US willing to receive and reship one to me.

I don't think you can post batteries. The cheapest courier I can find from the US to NZ, for a 4x5x8" package that weighs 4.5lb, is US$130. At that price the Australian distributor is about the same price.

Can anyone suggest a good value way to get a package with a lithium battery to New Zealand, given i'm not in any great rush to get it?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 01, 2011 22:05 |  #2293

tim wrote in post #13339614 (external link)
Guys, i'm seriously considering getting an AlienBees Vagabond Mini Lithium (external link). They cost US$249/$313 in the US, or AU$401/NZ$521 from the Aussie distributor (external link). I have someone in the US willing to receive and reship one to me.

I don't think you can post batteries. The cheapest courier I can find from the US to NZ, for a 4x5x8" package that weighs 4.5lb, is US$130. At that price the Australian distributor is about the same price.

Can anyone suggest a good value way to get a package with a lithium battery to New Zealand, given i'm not in any great rush to get it?

Actually small batteries can be shipped, but this aint a small battery!!

Based on the size of the battery in these - these are NOT safe to be shipped by air. Technically I think you can only ship up to 100wh by air, and even then they have to be handled as hazmat. As a result, getting the Vagabond which has 130wh, shipped legally from the US will be cost prohibitive, as pretty much there isnt consumer surface shipping available anymore, as the USPS discontinued it back in 2008. Air shipping from Aussy probably has the same issue.

If it wasnt batteries, I'd point you to the USPS Priority mail flat rate boxes - up to 20 lbs in a 12x12x5.5" box (smaller sizes available as well) which are about $US59 to send, and arrive in about 7-10 days (based on Atlanta to Christchurch). Not as trackable as Fedex/UPS, but you can work out when it gets in the country. I've sent about 10 back in the last couple of years, and none have gone missing.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 01, 2011 22:31 |  #2294

Hmmm... so if we put it on DHL that would be bad?

I'm not sure how they get shipped from Australia to New Zealand, but they seem happy to do it, for about AU$58, so maybe they're just not declaring it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 01, 2011 22:33 |  #2295

DHL Can surface ship, as can FedEx.

I know someone who was going to buy one in from overseas, I'll ask him if he did, and how it was shipped.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

sponsored links

1,978,310 views & 1,387 likes for this thread
GKPE 8, Yet more NZ ramblings from some flightless Kiwis.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.