Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 15:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you survive the lust for Full Frame?

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 02, 2011 08:10 |  #76

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13341621 (external link)
We probably need to be careful in just throwing around the crop term. I know this statement was made in relation to the 7D earlier in your reply though.

You're right. I was referring to APS-C cameras, not APS-H. APS-H is different. The only drawback to APS-H is that you loose a little bit of wide angle, which may or may not matter to you, but it should be noted since APS-C cameras have other options in EF-S lenses. The 1D3 should definitely be a consideration for anyone looking in that price range, but it depends on application. The 5DII has an advantage in overall resolution as well as high-iso and those factors may be more important to some than the superior build quality, autofocus as well as other features of the 1d iii.

My point, I guess is that there are a lot of factors that go into the choice of a camera body, with sensor size being just one of them.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

sponsored links
CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 02, 2011 09:00 |  #77

Naturalist wrote in post #13341456 (external link)
I survive the lust by looking at the price and then referencing my checkbook balance. Pretty cut and dry.

This is how I stop myself from buying photo equipment.

Christian

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 02, 2011 09:05 |  #78

I was quite happy with my 7D, until I found a fairly good deal for the 5Dii, so I just ended up getting that and forsaking my 7D. That said, my check book and my girlfriend said, "If you *want* it..."

People's issues with AF aside, I like my 5D because it works a lot (a LOT) like my 30D for most circumstances, so it wasn't a stretch to get used to "downgrading" from the 7D.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 02, 2011 09:06 |  #79

Go get an $80. dollar film camera and scan the negatives. Full Frame.

But yeah I know what you mean. Full frame FTW.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,717 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 02, 2011 09:20 |  #80

I resist because all of the APS sized options that provide a resolution and ISO improvement and don't involve a backwards technology step in usability over my 40D are priced out of my justification range.

- A 5Dc would get me better quality pixels and a stop or maybe two of usable ISO and is likely to be my next budget body purchase, though it's probably $300-400 above what I could seriously justify at the moment - that might change down the track.
- A 1Ds2 is another option but ISO-wise I'm not sure if it is going to be worth the money for me and there is also physical size (it's bad enough dealing with the impression the 40D creates over a P&S, let alone a 1 series) and useability issues. Cost more than the 5D...
- 1D2n doesn't offer any resolution improvement.
- 1D3 doesn't offer more pixels but arguably offers much better pixels and has 2, maybe 3, stops ISO advantage over the 40D from what I can see - cost and size are big detractors
- 5D2, 1D4, 1Ds3 or 1DX: $$$ They all offer the sort of improvements I want but are too much camera for me.
- A 1Ds is an intriguing option for me at the moment. They go for doable (for me) prices at the moment. I'm just not convinced it is going to give me anything that much better than the 40D does. Certainly not enough to warrant investing in the experiment IMO.

I also realise that the higher resolution APS-C bodies would be an improvement. The 50D is even around the price I could spend at the moment. Again, I'm not sure it will offer enough of a step up over the 40D to justify the outlay.

The only times I wish for more from my 40D is when I am in low light (inside buildings) shooting machinery for later reference at work. Yes, a flash would help (and does) a lot of the time but I run into enough instances that I think I'd like to be able to use more than ISO 800 without fear of not being able to pick out interesting details at close to 100% during later reference. An MT-24EX would probably solve all my problems :D

I also thought I wanted an APS sized sensor to go wide but the 14mm is plenty wide for me on the 40D at the moment

Gear List

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 02, 2011 10:23 as a reply to  @ smythie's post |  #81

I've decided to wait until the 5Diii is out and the 5dii drops below the $1500 mark, maybe in 1-2 years. Of course, given the constant rise of glass prices, I may end up spending the same or more when I finally do upgrade body + lenses.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 02, 2011 11:20 |  #82

easy for me, i'm still learning about the 7d.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 02, 2011 11:29 |  #83

smythie wrote in post #13341896 (external link)
I resist because all of the APS sized options that provide a resolution and ISO improvement and don't involve a backwards technology step in usability over my 40D are priced out of my justification range.

- A 1Ds2 is another option but ISO-wise I'm not sure if it is going to be worth the money for me and there is also physical size (it's bad enough dealing with the impression the 40D creates over a P&S, let alone a 1 series) and useability issues. Cost more than the 5D...

- A 1Ds is an intriguing option for me at the moment. They go for doable (for me) prices at the moment. I'm just not convinced it is going to give me anything that much better than the 40D does. Certainly not enough to warrant investing in the experiment IMO.

the 1D2 is a great camera, I used one side my side, usually one in each hand with a 7D. sometimes, if i wanted a LOT of shots of a really fast sequence, id hold the 7d on top of the 1D2(turned upside down) and fire away. it may sound dumb, but in practice it was pretty cool to be able to really catch the action. besides, two different sensors, two different ''look and feel''s

the 1Ds2 im sure would be a real kick @ss camera. ive never used nor seen one. but if i had the money at the time, I would have purchased one over the next subject....

the 1Ds1!!!

I purchased this camera, thinking it would be a 1 series camera, real fast. Nope. its slow, slow to turn on, slow to operate, slow to do just about anything with- except autofocus in good light. the low light performance of a how old camera? yeah its not brilliant... but if you use a fast lens... IE a 50mm, the AF is fine enough(and always better than a 5Dc, period.)

the 1Ds1 should be regarded in 2010(and forward) terms of technology as a film camera with adjustable ISO on the fly.

Really, the files from the 1Ds1, look a little muddled sometimes, those are big photosites, but I have yet to see a camera that really yields the film feeling, with out actually shooting film.

even shooting with the cheapo 50mm/1.8 is magic.

Now that all being said. THE ONE LENS I on the 7D that has given me a close approximation to that magical film feeling is the sigma 30mm F1.4.

Honestly, I should have purchased that lens when I first started. but i knew nothing about photography and was just happy with having purchased a 7D as my first camera.

LOOKING back, I would have bought the 7D(sans kit) and the sigma 30mm and NOT have looked back.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2011 12:37 |  #84

rick_reno wrote in post #13342531 (external link)
easy for me, i'm still learning about the 7d.

im in no need or hurry for a FF.. unless there is a 8fps FF out there...

but i am trying to learn how to better get one of THESE in my hands (7d)!!!! I have needed the 8fps a few times... as the 3.7 my t2i does is not quite enough... im missing pics that if i had would make a great collage
im training my jedi skills on getting my truck through inspection first and what i can sell to get parts of the funds...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

dlintz
613 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 02, 2011 12:49 |  #85

I went from a 40D to a 1DsII. Honestly I wish the high ISO handling was a bit better but otherwise it's still a fantastic FF rig.

smythie wrote in post #13341896 (external link)

- A 5Dc would get me better quality pixels and a stop or maybe two of usable ISO and is likely to be my next budget body purchase, though it's probably $300-400 above what I could seriously justify at the moment - that might change down the track.
- 1D3 doesn't offer more pixels but arguably offers much better pixels and has 2, maybe 3, stops ISO advantage over the 40D from what I can see - cost and size are big detractors
- 5D2, 1D4, 1Ds3 or 1DX: $$$ They all offer the sort of improvements I want but are too much camera for me.

I also realise that the higher resolution APS-C bodies would be an improvement. The 50D is even around the price I could spend at the moment. Again, I'm not sure it will offer enough of a step up over the 40D to justify the outlay.

The only times I wish for more from my 40D is when I am in low light (inside buildings) shooting machinery for later reference at work. Yes, a flash would help (and does) a lot of the time but I run into enough instances that I think I'd like to be able to use more than ISO 800 without fear of not being able to pick out interesting details at close to 100% during later reference. An MT-24EX would probably solve all my problems :D

I also thought I wanted an APS sized sensor to go wide but the 14mm is plenty wide for me on the 40D at the moment

Doug

1Ds II 17-40L - 24-70L - Sigmalux - Sigma 85 f/1.4 - 70-200L 2.8 II - Sigma 1.4x - G9 - Cybersyncs and some other stuff

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2011 13:20 |  #86

dlintz wrote in post #13342979 (external link)
I went from a 40D to a 1DsII. Honestly I wish the high ISO handling was a bit better but otherwise it's still a fantastic FF rig.

wow i want the 7d for 8fps.. but a quick google results..
Capable of firing at 4 frames per second for bursts of up to 32 frames in JPEG or 11 frames in RAW

i may have to think about this!!!!! price is still too much for me.. but can dream...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 02, 2011 13:21 |  #87
bannedPermanent ban

TeleFragger wrote in post #13343126 (external link)
wow i want the 7d for 8fps.. but a quick google results..
Capable of firing at 4 frames per second for bursts of up to 32 frames in JPEG or 11 frames in RAW

i may have to think about this!!!!! price is still too much for me.. but can dream...

What is so special about that? The 7D easily moves more data.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2011 13:31 |  #88

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13343132 (external link)
What is so special about that? The 7D easily moves more data.

nothing much.. just my first time seeing a FF over 4fps... im going to replace my camera hopefully in 2-3 months with a 7d as it is the price breaker for me.. i can sell my camera and hopefully fund a 7d.. a FF is out of my price...

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 02, 2011 13:32 |  #89
bannedPermanent ban

TeleFragger wrote in post #13343181 (external link)
nothing much.. just my first time seeing a FF over 4fps... im going to replace my camera hopefully in 2-3 months with a 7d as it is the price breaker for me.. i can sell my camera and hopefully fund a 7d.. a FF is out of my price...

The DsIII is 5FPS and the DX is 12FPS.

Do you live under a rock? From the Geico commercial....:)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (external link)

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2011 13:35 |  #90

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13343190 (external link)
Do you live under a rock? From the Geico commercial....:)

prolly.. that is all im tryin to say... :lol:

sponsored links

15,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you survive the lust for Full Frame?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.