Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 01:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is there something you don't like about your 5D?

regatta
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 02, 2011 08:16 |  #16

kf095 wrote in post #13341436 (external link)
It doesn't have ISO in VF. No dust cleaning.

People paying same price as 5Dc goes for now for 100x to have it cosmetically old.

What does this mean?

Sam
7D and saving for 600mm

sponsored links
AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 02, 2011 08:20 |  #17

I actually think the 5Dc has good autofocus. Then again I only do still, landscaps and portraits with it but it's dead on. Its my 2nd body to my 1DIV but I actually like it for trips etc. My only complaint is LCD. It doesn't represent colors. Other than that i love it.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,717 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 02, 2011 08:33 |  #18

Hogloff wrote in post #13341516 (external link)
Auto focus is suppose to make things easier...not harder. If you have to put so much effort into "making sure that the line that you are focusing cuts the long side of the AF", then you are missing the moment or are compromising your composition. Center point is ok, outer points are just unreliable which makes them useless...especially in dimmer light.

I typically manually focus my 5d2.

That screams contradiction. MF'ing the 5D2 would take as much, if not more time than thinking about getting the outer points into a "cross" situation. In addition, taking the time to ensure the centre point (or any cross point for that matter) is over the subject requires the same effort as thinking about the outer points and no more than MF.

Gear List

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,483 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 02, 2011 08:38 |  #19

regatta wrote in post #13341690 (external link)
What does this mean?

Ecxuse my English.

The ISO information is not present in viewfinder.
No dust reduction system to shake dust of the sensor.

FujiFilm x100 costs as much as 5Dc, but half the price of this P&S is due to cosmetically old design (Read first post on this thread).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

regatta
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 02, 2011 08:41 |  #20

kf095 wrote in post #13341766 (external link)
Ecxuse my English.

FujiFilm x100 costs as much as 5Dc, but half the price of this P&S is due to cosmetically old design (Read first post on this thread).

Oh sorry, I didn't know what x100 was.

Sam
7D and saving for 600mm

mkville
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 02, 2011 08:44 |  #21

When I had mine, the AF was fine for me, but the lack of a sensor cleaning was bad my screen was embarrassingly dirty, also I would say the upload speed of the transfering of files, after I just started using a card reader and I was good. For all the bad I could still live with it. Great camera!!

Mark
flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 02, 2011 09:56 |  #22

It's ancient, tiny screen, no live view, just feels old. I'm getting a 5D2 in the near future.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

cfvisuals
THREAD ­ STARTER
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 02, 2011 10:28 |  #23

theextremist04 wrote in post #13342121 (external link)
It's ancient, tiny screen, no live view, just feels old. I'm getting a 5D2 in the near future.

I want to wait for 5D2's price to drop further down.

A thousand bucks can get me some good glass.

How much lower can 5D2 go if 5D3 is announced?

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,126 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Nov 02, 2011 10:39 |  #24

kf095 wrote in post #13341766 (external link)
Ecxuse my English.

the fuji also performs better at hi ISOs than ANY canon DSLR that i've owned so it's not as simple as you say.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 02, 2011 11:25 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #25

Lack of weather proofing / dust
lack of Live View - I loved LV on my 50D when shooting moonscapes, etc.
lack of info in VF

(I'm OK with ISO which shows when you press the middle button on top, which I do by feel), but the lack of mode (Timer vs One-shot vs Continuous, etc, etc) in the VF is a pain. Sometimes I'm all loaded up on the tripod and wan to check some of these parameters and the only way is either tilt the tripod down to check the top LCD, or remove the camera from mount, or find and display the shot info on the main LCD at the back. Would be so much easier if it were all in the VF.

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 02, 2011 11:33 |  #26

I just don't see what good the VF info is. I honestly don't think I've ever even looked at info in VF. I would think you know the settings you are set before you take shot or even look through vF.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,734 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 02, 2011 17:12 |  #27

3 fps costs me lots of great images that I would capture at 5 or 6 fps.

The LCD screen is awful, and I depend on reviewing/examining images as I am shooting (to know what adjustments to make for the next shot).

Tons of dust seems to find its way into not only the sensor area, but also the viewfinder.

The joystick (multicontroller) fails to function when the camera gets even slightly wet.

Files are not as clean at 800 ISO or 1600 ISO as the mark 2 - and yet the pixels are much larger. What's with that?!

Yet despite its shortcomings, it is a good body for the money.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Erik_A
349 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 02, 2011 19:18 |  #28

The 5Dc is such a classic, very "film like" images that hold up to a lot of post processing very well. Since the AF system is the same as the 5 Dmk 2 - I know a few pros that don't shoot video switching back to the 5Dc since the out of camera colors are better. I hate the AF points except the center for any type of backlit images.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 02, 2011 19:25 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

smythie wrote in post #13341745 (external link)
That screams contradiction. MF'ing the 5D2 would take as much, if not more time than thinking about getting the outer points into a "cross" situation. In addition, taking the time to ensure the centre point (or any cross point for that matter) is over the subject requires the same effort as thinking about the outer points and no more than MF.

Not really. Once you get the hang of manual focus, you don't think about it at all. Just look through the viewfinder and focus until what you want in focus is just right. With autofocus, you need to watch a little red rectangle in your viewfinder ensuring it is overtop what you want in focus...way more effort as far as I am concerned.

Erik_A
349 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 02, 2011 20:18 |  #30

..but for aging eyes and glasses, much harder to MF

sponsored links

5,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
is there something you don't like about your 5D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.