Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Oct 2011 (Monday) 16:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which strap to get? (Black Rapid?)

HiRes
67 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 31, 2011 16:39 |  #1

I'm trying to decide on an alternative to the supplied Canon strap that came with my 50D but the more I read about the Black Rapid straps -which seem to be the norm (and alternative "sling" type straps) the more confused I get.

I think the idea of a sling strap is great but have heard that people have had their cameras drop to the ground because of bad quality/design. Other critical comments say that camera tripod threads weren't designed for this kind of stress and will eventually warp the camera body. Furthermore I don't like the idea of having to remove the strap each time I use my tripod.
My "problem" is that I have a Manfrotto 808RC4 head which comes with an RC-4 type quick release plate, and Black Rapid only has a solution for an RC-2 quick release plate.
But...... despite all of this I still want a sling strap of some sort! :)

So, which strap will fit the bill for the following criteria?:

- safe: won't let the camera easily fall off the strap
- strong enough to hold a semi-/pro camera (I'm thinking of getting a 5D II or possibly III if that comes along later) with various (heavy) walk-around type L lenses
- comfortable and unobtrusive (which is why I like the sling strap idea)
- can be left attached when using a tripod
- won't have fasteners or connectors that scratch the camera body, lens, myself or anything else it comes in contact with
- will fold as easily and take as little space as regular camera straps (so I can fit my camera into my camera bags as before)
- can be used with a battery grip attached

A little thought... are there sling straps around which attach to the metal lugs on the camera itself, just like normal straps, but instead of getting in the way when shooting somehow go towards the bottom of the camera? Looking at my 50D I imagine a strap attaching to just one side, then attaching again to the mounting lug underneath the battery grip or somehow to the side of the Manfrotto RC4 quick release plate (attached underneath the camera or underneath the battery grip). Possibly in conjunction with a wrist strap.
Hmmm... just thinking out loud ;)

6D | 50D | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II| 70-200 f/4L | 35 f/2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 |Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 | 430EX | 580EX II

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 31, 2011 18:01 |  #2

I've never had a problem with any of my BlackRapids drop my camera. As for stories of cameras being dropped, maybe it is or usually user error and not securing it correctly to the camera. I've ran, jumped and swung my camera around with the swing and never had a problem. So as long you have OEM products, you should be fine. If you have aftermarket grips which is made with poor quality, you may probably experience your camera coming off the strap.

Safe: Any strap will do. So as long you secure it and check on the connections occasionally, you won't have a problem.
Strong: I have a Nikon D7000 with a grip. The weight of the camera is heavy and the sling straps that I reviewed handled it just fine
Comfortable: I think any of the sling straps on the market will be comfortable. After all, they all copy from each other. However, I loved all my BlackRapid straps but I'm starting to like the neoprene straps better. Its more flexible and thinner.
Left attached when using a tripod: You can leave BlackRapid out on this competition. The only one I see benefiting from leaving the strap on and using a tripod would be CarrySpeed (carryspeed.com)
Won't scratch camera: They won't scratch the camera body or lens. I'm very protective with my gear like yourself so I make sure of this when I purchase a product. I baby my gear.
Fold easily: All the straps I've seen and reviewed are of the same size or about the same. The smallest strap that I've seen so far is the BlackRapid RS-Sport 2. It's the smallest I know of out of all the straps on the market.
Use with grip: All will work with the grip. Its a matter of the quality of your grip. If you have OEM products, you have nothing to worry about.

Here are some sling straps that I've reviewed that can help you decide which fits your needs:
BlackRapid RS-7 - http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …id-rs-7-camera-strap.html (external link)
BlackRapid RS-Sport - http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …rt-camera-strap-with.html (external link)
BlackRapid RS-Sport 2 - http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …id-rs-sport-2-camera.html (external link)
CustomSLR Split Strap - http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …r-camera-split-strap.html (external link)

I also have the CustomSLR Glide Split Strap. I'm currently reviewing it and should have it up either tonight or tomorrow.

*EDIT* Just posted the review for the Glide Split Strap - http://1kindphotograph​y.blogspot.com …r-glide-camera-split.html (external link)

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 31, 2011 20:09 |  #3

How about the Canon EOS Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace? It's very comfortable as well. :)

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 31, 2011 20:18 |  #4

- safe: won't let the camera easily fall off the strap - Any of the BlackRapid straps are safe.

- strong enough to hold a semi-/pro camera (I'm thinking of getting a 5D II or possibly III if that comes along later) with various (heavy) walk-around type L lenses - Any of the BR straps can hold the heaviest of L lenses. I hang a 1D+ 300 f/2.8 IS while shooting sports for work.

- comfortable and unobtrusive (which is why I like the sling strap idea) - RS-7 is the most comfortable out of the slimmer straps (RS-4,5,7), it is also the least bulky. The Sport strap is also very comfortable.

- can be left attached when using a tripod - If you have a Manfrotto tripod, BR sells an adapter for the RC-2 plates.

- won't have fasteners or connectors that scratch the camera body, lens, myself or anything else it comes in contact with - I wouldn't worry about that. I have more scratches on my gear from actual use than from the BR fittings. If you're worried about scratches, leave your gear in the box at home.

- will fold as easily and take as little space as regular camera straps (so I can fit my camera into my camera bags as before) - The BR straps will be a little more bulky, but its well worth it. I would pick the RS-7 as most compact.

- can be used with a battery grip attached - Any of BR straps can be used with a battery grip.

My suggestions:

RS-7 on Amazon (external link)
Sport on Amazon (external link)
Sport-2 (a little thinner than the Sport) (external link)

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 31, 2011 21:01 |  #5

Staszek wrote in post #13334964 (external link)
- safe: won't let the camera easily fall off the strap - Any of the BlackRapid straps are safe.

- strong enough to hold a semi-/pro camera (I'm thinking of getting a 5D II or possibly III if that comes along later) with various (heavy) walk-around type L lenses - Any of the BR straps can hold the heaviest of L lenses. I hang a 1D+ 300 f/2.8 IS while shooting sports for work.

- comfortable and unobtrusive (which is why I like the sling strap idea) - RS-7 is the most comfortable out of the slimmer straps (RS-4,5,7), it is also the least bulky. The Sport strap is also very comfortable.

- can be left attached when using a tripod - If you have a Manfrotto tripod, BR sells an adapter for the RC-2 plates.

- won't have fasteners or connectors that scratch the camera body, lens, myself or anything else it comes in contact with - I wouldn't worry about that. I have more scratches on my gear from actual use than from the BR fittings. If you're worried about scratches, leave your gear in the box at home.

- will fold as easily and take as little space as regular camera straps (so I can fit my camera into my camera bags as before) - The BR straps will be a little more bulky, but its well worth it. I would pick the RS-7 as most compact.

- can be used with a battery grip attached - Any of BR straps can be used with a battery grip.

My suggestions:

RS-7 on Amazon (external link)
Sport on Amazon (external link)
Sport-2 (a little thinner than the Sport) (external link)

RS-4, RS-5 are pretty much the same with the difference of the pouches on the padding. The RS-7 doesn't have pockets like the RS-4 and RS-5 but has a curved design. Width of all 3 are the about the same. Same goes for thickness of the padding. I wouldn't consider anything of these "slimmer".

If anyone is afraid of the carabiner scratching the camera body, there is a fix for this. Get shrinkwrap tube that is usually used for wires and insert it onto the carabiner so that it wraps it. Once its on, heat it up so that the shrinkwrap tube shrinks around the carabiner. This will protect the metal from damaging your gear.

Another method would be to use electrical tape. I don't like this method because with heat, it can leave sticky residue on the metal and possibly your gear as well.

FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 31, 2011 21:05 |  #6

I regularly hang my 7d with grip and 70-200 IS II from the tripod screw on the grip with my eBay knockoff BR strap... I upgraded to genuine BR hardware on the strap... But.. It's all plenty solid.

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 31, 2011 23:19 |  #7

iazybandit wrote in post #13335135 (external link)
RS-4, RS-5 are pretty much the same with the difference of the pouches on the padding. The RS-7 doesn't have pockets like the RS-4 and RS-5 but has a curved design. Width of all 3 are the about the same. Same goes for thickness of the padding. I wouldn't consider anything of these "slimmer".

If anyone is afraid of the carabiner scratching the camera body, there is a fix for this. Get shrinkwrap tube that is usually used for wires and insert it onto the carabiner so that it wraps it. Once its on, heat it up so that the shrinkwrap tube shrinks around the carabiner. This will protect the metal from damaging your gear.

Another method would be to use electrical tape. I don't like this method because with heat, it can leave sticky residue on the metal and possibly your gear as well.

I disagree on the sizing. I originally had the RS-4 and felt it was too bulky. It would also ride up my neck making it uncomfortable. The RS-7 fixed these issues by being slightly curved and narrower.

As for the scratching, I have never experienced the clasp reaching past the bottom plate of the camera.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 01, 2011 06:33 |  #8

Staszek wrote in post #13335805 (external link)
I disagree on the sizing. I originally had the RS-4 and felt it was too bulky. It would also ride up my neck making it uncomfortable. The RS-7 fixed these issues by being slightly curved and narrower.

As for the scratching, I have never experienced the clasp reaching past the bottom plate of the camera.

Actually, you are correct about thickness. I even stated it myself in my post but went and made the mistake. The thickness of the RS-4 and RS-5 is thicker than RS-7 due to the pockets but not by much. RS-4 and RS-5 are straight where as the RS-7, like you said is curved. That's why I ended up selling my RS-4 for the RS-7 before getting the RS-Sport/2. Narrower? I don't think it is.

djchrono
85 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 01, 2011 10:36 |  #9

I have the Bos Strap (http://www.bosstrap.co​m (external link)) and find it's quite good.

Here's what I like about it:
- not bulky
- very compact when rolled up
- uses strap loop on camera instead of tripod socket
- reasonably comfortable to wear crossed over the shoulder. Heaviest weight I've tried is a 60D with 24-105L which feels fine.
- very easily unhooks from the strap, so I can take the camera off without removing the strap from my shoulder
- seems secure enough

And the downsides:
- probably not as comfortable as a padded shoulder strap
- camera bounces around at the hip when walking sometimes

So it depends what's most important for you. I wanted something very compact to travel with, easy to use, and provide better comfort than the supplied neck strap, and this works well.

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX | Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 EX | Canon 580EX II

Staszek
Goldmember
3,605 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 01, 2011 21:40 |  #10

iazybandit wrote in post #13336502 (external link)
Actually, you are correct about thickness. I even stated it myself in my post but went and made the mistake. The thickness of the RS-4 and RS-5 is thicker than RS-7 due to the pockets but not by much. RS-4 and RS-5 are straight where as the RS-7, like you said is curved. That's why I ended up selling my RS-4 for the RS-7 before getting the RS-Sport/2. Narrower? I don't think it is.

Maybe it's an illusion? You are probably correct.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2011 06:30 |  #11

For those who don't like the RS straps because it makes tripod use difficult. Here are my two solutions -

1. Use the BR connector on an AS clamp. Then use the AS plates on your camera/lens.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/BR%20-%20AS.jpg

2. Optech sell these little connectors. Just use the BR carabiner to attach to the Optech connector.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/BR%20Optech.JPG

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 02, 2011 08:30 |  #12

i started with the RS-7. LOVE it. and i'm one of those people who HATE camera strap. then came the Sport version - i won this via Facebook/Twitter. used it. LOVE it even more. actually fits my body much better. sold the RS-7 and now only using the Sport Version. as far as you camera falling off. NO PROBLEM here. i dont see any reason why it would fall off, unless you're not screwing it correctly.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

Agged
278 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 02, 2011 16:29 |  #13

[QUOTE=hollis_f;133413​99]For those who don't like the RS straps because it makes tripod use difficult. Here are my two solutions -

1. Use the BR connector on an AS clamp. Then use the AS plates on your camera/lens.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/BR%20-%20AS.jpg

Damn, I love this solution! Well done!

I immediately copied the same idea using the Manfrotto QR base plate and it works very well, EXCEPT, the Manfrotto base is quite a bit larger and the locking lever sits on your chin when trying to look through the viewfinder. I'll try it for awhile before deciding whether it stays or not. It is very convenient. Another unintended bonus is that the surplus RT-1 screws (the ones that were deemed to be too tall) can be screwed to the QR base plate to hook the caribiner to.

Thanks Hollis!

Flickr (external link)
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …rch.php?searchi​d=27565292

EricR
46 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 02, 2011 16:41 |  #14

Check out some of the REALLY cool straps that this company has.
http://www.rileygdesig​nworks.com/page/page/6​735720.htm (external link)

I picked up this one yesterday. So far, I like it a lot.
http://www.rileygdesig​nworks.com …/item/7684447/8​157343.htm (external link)

Plus, they are made in the USA. :cool:

GroWeb
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined May 2008

Nov 02, 2011 19:27 |  #15

Agged wrote in post #13344088 (external link)
I immediately copied the same idea using the Manfrotto QR base plate and it works very well, EXCEPT, the Manfrotto base is quite a bit larger and the locking lever sits on your chin when trying to look through the viewfinder.

I've been using the RC2 baseplate with my BR Strap for a year or so now, and it makes it possible to remove the camera from the strap and put it back on in a snap at any time (for monopod, tripod, switching the attachment from the camera to a lens foot, easier vertical shooting, handing the camera to someone else, etc.). The locking-lever-to-the-chin problem is a non-issue for me due to the presence of a battery grip between my camera and the baseplate.

Glen

sponsored links

15,916 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which strap to get? (Black Rapid?)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.