I'm trying to decide on an alternative to the supplied Canon strap that came with my 50D but the more I read about the Black Rapid straps -which seem to be the norm (and alternative "sling" type straps) the more confused I get.
I think the idea of a sling strap is great but have heard that people have had their cameras drop to the ground because of bad quality/design. Other critical comments say that camera tripod threads weren't designed for this kind of stress and will eventually warp the camera body. Furthermore I don't like the idea of having to remove the strap each time I use my tripod.
My "problem" is that I have a Manfrotto 808RC4 head which comes with an RC-4 type quick release plate, and Black Rapid only has a solution for an RC-2 quick release plate.
But...... despite all of this I still want a sling strap of some sort!
So, which strap will fit the bill for the following criteria?:
- safe: won't let the camera easily fall off the strap
- strong enough to hold a semi-/pro camera (I'm thinking of getting a 5D II or possibly III if that comes along later) with various (heavy) walk-around type L lenses
- comfortable and unobtrusive (which is why I like the sling strap idea)
- can be left attached when using a tripod
- won't have fasteners or connectors that scratch the camera body, lens, myself or anything else it comes in contact with
- will fold as easily and take as little space as regular camera straps (so I can fit my camera into my camera bags as before)
- can be used with a battery grip attached
A little thought... are there sling straps around which attach to the metal lugs on the camera itself, just like normal straps, but instead of getting in the way when shooting somehow go towards the bottom of the camera? Looking at my 50D I imagine a strap attaching to just one side, then attaching again to the mounting lug underneath the battery grip or somehow to the side of the Manfrotto RC4 quick release plate (attached underneath the camera or underneath the battery grip). Possibly in conjunction with a wrist strap.
Hmmm... just thinking out loud