Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 60mm f2 macro micro-review and sample pics

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2011 21:10 |  #1

So I have been looking for a copy of this lens since they came out...I finally found a second-hand one in a store in Busan, South Korea and snapped off a few frames. This is by no means a scientific review, but since there's so little information about this lens, I thought I'd add whatever I can. Quick first impressions:

- The build quality is excellent. I think it matches or exceeds most of Canons's non-L line-up.
- Despite this lens being designed for 1.5/1.6x crop bodies, it worked perfectly on my 1.3x APS-H body with no visible light fall-off, even at f2.
- The copy I was trying front-focused MOST of the time...though once or twice it appeared to get it right. The front focus wasn't bad, but noticeable for macro work at f2 (scroll down for pics). EDIT: For those of us with Micro Adjust-capable cameras, this shouldn't be a problem, what little the lens was off by is well within MA range.
- Purple/orange fringing was minimal but present at f2...however, it disappeared by even f2.2-2.5.
- Not having the barrel extend during focusing is awesome, and a rarity with many lower-end macros
- Focusing is not nearly as quick or quiet as USM. It's accurate, but it takes its sweet time (I'm guessing a focus-limit switch would help this)...also, there's a bit of bzzzt-bzzzt as it focuses, which, at first, was a little annoying after my 16-35L II and the Tamron 70-300 VC USD, but not nearly as bad as my old Tamron 17-50 f2.8 was.

Samples: Straight off the card, shot with a 1D Mark III. No PP of any kind done.

@ f2...slight front focus (focus point was set on the "6" in the phone number)...however, surprisingly sharp and lacks serious CA

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6240/6297260790_ceabbc03ec_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56150019@N07/6​297260790/  (external link)
TV3_8627 (external link) by canonzenit (external link), on Flickr

@ f4 ...very sharp and still great amounts/quality of bokeh...

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6239/6297261360_882df8f4c9_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56150019@N07/6​297261360/  (external link)
TV3_8636 (external link) by canonzenit (external link), on Flickr

@ f2 ... impromptu portrait of my friend (just wanted to see what the lights in the background look like)...nothing spectacular, but certainly makes a good portrait lens in a pinch

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

TV3_8639 (external link) by canonzenit (external link), on Flickr

@ f2 ...ever so slight front focus (focus was set on the "C" in Ultrasonic, looks like it really focused on the border between the "I" and the "C") and slight fringing around the letters, not bad considering it's wide open with some very harsh lights being reflected by the letters

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6048/6297260534_1aef886d1a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/56150019@N07/6​297260534/  (external link)
TV3_8633 (external link) by canonzenit (external link), on Flickr

Hope this helps some of you guys looking at this lens. I'm considering buying that copy, though it's a little expensive, so I might wait 'till I'm back in Canada for a visit in a few months.

Cheers,
Tamas

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 30, 2011 22:35 |  #2

I just ordered one from Abe's of Maine for $369 shipped after the $100 mail in rebate + code: LOYALTY15. I had been thinking about picking up a fast 50mm and wanting to explore macro/close up photography and this lens seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Flickr (external link)
5D3 | 5Dc | 7D | Tok 16-28 | 24-105 | 17-55 | 70-200 f4 IS | Pancake 40 | Sigma 50 | 85 1.8 | Yongnuo 565EX | Demb Flash Bracket | DiffuseIt Bounce Card | Manfrotto 535 CF Tripod | 2x Yongnuo YN560s | 2x PBL Softbox Umbrellas | CyberSync Triggers | Epson R3000 | A very understanding wife

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 31, 2011 18:33 |  #3

Lucky you! Please post up samples/impressions when you get yours! The one I tested here was the rough equivalent of about $450...used!!! :( I'm probably going to wait 'till I'm home (Canada) for a visit before buying one.

-=Gear=-

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 31, 2011 19:07 |  #4

Thinking of selling mine. No complaints...it's super sharp with nice bokeh, but I'm not doing much macro and I find I'm using the 17-50 more for portraits. Maybe the Sigma 30 is more up my alley.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 31, 2011 23:36 |  #5

Stir Fry A Lot wrote in post #13330624 (external link)
I just ordered one from Abe's of Maine for $369 shipped after the $100 mail in rebate + code: LOYALTY15. I had been thinking about picking up a fast 50mm and wanting to explore macro/close up photography and this lens seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Whoa, I can dig that price!

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

blackzarg
158 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 01, 2011 10:39 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #6

I'm considering to sell my 90mm and getting this at that price for portraits... based on reviews looks like the sharpness is about equivalent, with the main difference being the non-extending barrel and FTM on the 60mm. Macro is more of a hobby (of this hobby), so don't need the length.

Canon 60D | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II
Flash: YN465 | RF602 Triggers
Other Stuff: Gorillapod SLR-Zoom w/ Manfrotto 484RC2 | Other tripods and ballheads

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 01, 2011 21:34 |  #7

Yeah, $369 shipped brand new is a killer price for it! I'm seriously considering it unless I find a good deal on a used copy :)

-=Gear=-

Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 01, 2011 21:44 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #8

Comes with a 6 year warranty too!

If you order from Abe's make sure to write in the memo section not to solicate you with any sales calls. They might send you an email trying to get you to call them also. Unless it says there is a problem with your order it is most likely a ruse to get you to call them so they can push a filter or lens cleaning kit on you. They're a legit company but need to quit with this practice.

Also in the Lens Archive there are people saying that if you get a model number ending with the number 37 you may have to send it in for a firmware update to get all the autofocus points to work. It may be resolved by now however as I did not read any posts that were recent concerning this issue.

Flickr (external link)
5D3 | 5Dc | 7D | Tok 16-28 | 24-105 | 17-55 | 70-200 f4 IS | Pancake 40 | Sigma 50 | 85 1.8 | Yongnuo 565EX | Demb Flash Bracket | DiffuseIt Bounce Card | Manfrotto 535 CF Tripod | 2x Yongnuo YN560s | 2x PBL Softbox Umbrellas | CyberSync Triggers | Epson R3000 | A very understanding wife

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 02, 2011 18:55 |  #9

Stir Fry A Lot wrote in post #13340169 (external link)
Comes with a 6 year warranty too!

If you order from Abe's make sure to write in the memo section not to solicate you with any sales calls. They might send you an email trying to get you to call them also. Unless it says there is a problem with your order it is most likely a ruse to get you to call them so they can push a filter or lens cleaning kit on you. They're a legit company but need to quit with this practice.

Also in the Lens Archive there are people saying that if you get a model number ending with the number 37 you may have to send it in for a firmware update to get all the autofocus points to work. It may be resolved by now however as I did not read any posts that were recent concerning this issue.

Awesome, thanks so much! I just emailed someone about a used copy, I'll email them again about the SN. I'll check on that firmware thing, I remember it being discussed a while ago...let me know how you like yours/would like to see some samples when you get it!! :)

-=Gear=-

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 02, 2011 19:27 |  #10

Stir Fry A Lot wrote in post #13340169 (external link)

To clarify: not the model number, but the internal "lens ID" code. You cannot tell this from looking at the lens. You need to check the EXIF information from a picture taken with this lens. Look for "Lens ID", "CanonCS.LensType", or something like that. If the number is 37, it needs to be upgraded. A good one has ID 137.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 02, 2011 22:05 |  #11

lar55 wrote in post #13344840 (external link)
To clarify: not the model number, but the internal "lens ID" code. You cannot tell this from looking at the lens. You need to check the EXIF information from a picture taken with this lens. Look for "Lens ID", "CanonCS.LensType", or something like that. If the number is 37, it needs to be upgraded. A good one has ID 137.

Beautiful!!! This is why I love this forum, the endless amount of useful info! Thanks very much, I'll make sure I see a picture with intact EXIF before buying one used!

EDIT: here's the EXIF off the lens I shot the test pics with...where do I find this 37/137 info?

http://www.flickr.com …1360/meta/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

-=Gear=-

Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 02, 2011 23:19 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #12

The code ends in 43 for that lens so you should be good to go.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)

Stir ­ Fry ­ A ­ Lot
679 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 07, 2011 22:05 |  #13

Just got the lens a few hours ago and took a few test shots. This is a very impressive lens, especially considering the price and how versatile it is. The colors, sharpness, and contrast hold their own very well against all my other lenses all the while being the cheapest one to boot. It actually focuses very fast unless you go from a macro length to a normal one, in doing it is pretty slow and tends to hunt. I don't find it to be particularly noisy either as some people have stated either. So far it has been 100% accurate and it appears that I got a newer model with the upgraded firmware so all the autofocus points are working properly. I used it wide open a few times and found the colors, contrast, and colors to be very good. Another bonus is that if you take the hood off the on-camera flash works very well for illuminating the subject even at the closest distances.

All in all I highly recommend picking one of these bad boys up.

Both images are SOOC raws converted to jpeg. The flower was taken at f11 iso100 and the bear was taken at f2 iso1600.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Flickr (external link)

vickylou
203 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 18, 2011 09:51 |  #14

how does the AF compare to the usm of the canon 60mm? for 50:50 portrait : macro will I benefit more from the F2? I have a soon to be 3 year old to AF is important, how is AF if not moving between 1: and portrait? does AF assist on 430ex II help AF? i love the look of the bokeh. They look equal on the macro side, what do you think about the portrait side? cant afford 2 lenses. I am just worried the AF will be so slow i will miss those shot. I currently have the tamron 17-50 VC and the AF is great, how do they compare?

Canon 60D; Canon 10-18 IS STM; Tamron 17-50 VC; Canon 100mm F2.8L macro; Tamron 60mm F2 macro; Tamron 70-300 VC USD; Canon 430ex II; Yongnuo 565ex; Manfrotto 190 classic; Manfrotto 488RC2; Hama Rexton 150; Manfrotto backpack & Eager to learn :)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2011 21:43 |  #15

Ah thanks Stir Fry A Lot, appreciate the info, and great sample pics :) I'm officially on the hunt for one! :)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

10,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 60mm f2 macro micro-review and sample pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.