Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Nov 2011 (Friday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why do photographers do this?

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 04, 2011 21:28 |  #1

I have lost track of the number of times I have seen this, especially whenever I see a thread that says "critique my photography business website" or something along those lines:

"Let us capture..."

"We will edit or retouch to your heart's content..."

"Our experience is second to none..."

STOP THIS.

If you are a single person operation, or even a multi-person operation operating under the lead of one person, you need to stop saying "we" in your literature/website/wha​tever.

It's YOU. It's all about YOU and YOUR vision. There is no WE here. Even if you have assistants, they are helping YOU to achieve your desired end result. Do people think that saying 'we' or 'us' helps lend them credibility? It's okay to be an individual. YOU are the artist. Start acting like it! Take credit for your work, be confident in it.

The one exception is a company that uses the fact that they are a team to help their marketing and mold their vision. E.g. a husband and wife wedding team - it's THEIR vision, and they use the fact that they are a husband and wife team to appeal to their clients. In that case, feel free to 'we' all over the place.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links
Ross ­ J
147 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 04, 2011 23:21 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

haha...that's funny I know exactly what you're talking about

There's a bit of a generation gap going on. The Gen Yer's understand the internet and know that one person can multi-task and be behind an operation. But a lot of the older generations from the past didn't trust one man operations, so a lot of people learned to throw the "we" around to make their small businesses appear bigger. It may have worked better in the past...doesn't work on Gen Y

Also, digital is tribalizing so surfers quickly dismiss references based on individual experience. Surfers tend to respond better to group experiences and that's why comments sections are so important. For example, a blog might be written by a single individual but surfers won't take it seriously unless they can find positive group comments about it. In other words, the "I" is just as irrelevant as the "we" when it lacks the backing of positive group comments.

ManiZ
594 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 04, 2011 23:46 |  #3

Not just photography, this happens in pretty much every business imaginable. I used to be on 350Z forums locally and a member started his window tinting business. All his posts suddenly took a turn for the "we". He did great work, but I always laughed at why he didn't feel confident enough to forego the "we". Same was the case with a gizmo guru who designed some amazing electric circuits to modify the Z's components. He too developed the multiple personality syndrome overnight.

I think one man operations sometimes want to come across as being larger than they are. Not sure why that is...

5D4 Gripped | 16-35 f4L IS | 24-70 f2.8L II | 70-200 f2.8L II IS | 85 f1.8 | 600EX-RT | 430EXII | YN-468II | YN-622c | 'Stuff'

spitfirex007
96 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 04, 2011 23:55 |  #4

It does not matter who is in charge or who owns the business. If there is more then one person, it's we or us. You include your staff and treat it as a team. If you hired them they more then likely have some part in your business and your success.

mikekelley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 05, 2011 00:07 |  #5

spitfirex007 wrote in post #13356252 (external link)
It does not matter who is in charge or who owns the business. If there is more then one person, it's we or us. You include your staff and treat it as a team. If you hired them they more then likely have some part in your business and your success.

Except the photographer isn't selling his assistant's vision, he's selling his own vision.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

spitfirex007
96 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 05, 2011 00:19 |  #6

mikekelley wrote in post #13356278 (external link)
Except the photographer isn't selling his assistant's vision, he's selling his own vision.

I look at it completely different. Maybe because I grew up playing sports and working as unit. But it doesn't matter who's vision it is. Everyone is working together to achieve the final result. Including your team by saying we or us is showing your appreciation.

Everyone knows it's the photographer's vision and creativity. Doesn't mean they need to take all the credit. To be honest, I find it kinda selfish to consider it I or me when more then one person is working on a project. Regardless how big or small their role is.

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2011 00:20 as a reply to  @ mikekelley's post |  #7

Word.

Ross ­ J
147 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 05, 2011 00:33 as a reply to  @ Architective's post |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

The "we" stuff made sense in a print era culture, but what worked then does not work now. Gen Y grew up with computers and instant gratification. Their lives have always been....me me me me me. They don't believe in the kumbaya "we" crap. :) They think it sounds like fake 60s-Woodstock-Hippie talk. Gen Y likes opinions to be personal yet praised by a group. That's why they trust single-person sources like individual blogs, but then they check it against group opinion (comments sections, forum postings etc) Gen Y is driving the advertising industry insane because none of the old tricks work on them.

Hillbille
530 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 05, 2011 00:57 as a reply to  @ Ross J's post |  #9

Not many people have the "where with all" to just go into business of any kind. Usuall the person is married and starting a business is a pretty big step. So... the wife (or a relative) is TOTALLY involved. When you are married you never say "I" but rather "We" when you discuss major steps in life or business for that matter. So the natural thing to do is to incorporate your mate into everything you do.

When a solo business becomes "I" as in "I do everything by myself" and you are married, you will soon find yourself all alone doing it all. Funny how social issues of today have evolved to this state as opposed to past times. The person that stays at home and does the cooking, cleaning, laundry and shopping as well as caring for the children if any feels they deserve (and rightly so!) to get credit for that. It's a "small" thing to include them in the "business" but there is hell to pay if you don't!! LOL!!

Saying "we" is very legitimate in today's social environment and is accepted for what it is - a comment of equality in all things between two partners.

Hillbille

Rebel T2i, XS, Rebel T3; EF-S 70 - 300mm non L; EF-S 55 - 250mm; 50mm 1.8; 18 - 55 kit; YN-560; YN-468 - Pure Fun and Raw excitement.

magnum808
321 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 05, 2011 01:40 as a reply to  @ Hillbille's post |  #10

another exception is fashion photography... Hair/makeup, wardrobe stylist, and photographer are all equal parts of a team.

Canon 50D|Canon 5D
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 430 EX II speedlite

kaelaria
111 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 05, 2011 03:42 |  #11

It's the same as pricing something $19.99 instead of $20. Consumer confidence, just psychology, nothing more. That being said I think it's silly and don't do it LOL!

BG Pictures (external link)
Cigar Obsesssion (external link)

Clovie
38 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 05, 2011 04:38 |  #12

oh really?? I much prefer to hear we then me...me sounds self absorbed and arrogant

paullindqvist
94 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 05, 2011 04:41 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Clovie wrote in post #13356648 (external link)
oh really?? I much prefer to hear we then me...me sounds self absorbed and arrogant

I think that very much depends on culture/country. To some me sounds more personal (in a good way)and truthful if your a one man show.

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 05, 2011 06:50 |  #14

Well....as long as the photographer takes ALL the pictures, does ALL the processing, and does ALL the behind the scenes work....than "I/My is appropriate....otherwi​se "we/our" is more appropriate. Sometimes having others implied tells perspective clients that even if something happens to "I", than there are others to help out!

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 05, 2011 09:47 |  #15

kaelaria wrote in post #13356574 (external link)
It's the same as pricing something $19.99 instead of $20. Consumer confidence, just psychology, nothing more. That being said I think it's silly and don't do it LOL!

+1.

Best, Bruce

sponsored links

5,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why do photographers do this?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.