Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Nov 2011 (Friday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help planning trip to Ireland.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,850 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 04, 2011 23:00 |  #16

I agree with comments from tats...many of the best sights were simply stumbled upon! We stumbled upon an old cemetery south of Kilkenny, and some of the Irish people visiting the site and taking grave markings told is about the very large stone cross near the cemetery, a 'high cross' (in Ireland from 7th century to 11th century!) said to be the burial place of Niall Caille a high king, the king of Ailech in the 9th century

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/101-0183_IMGa.jpg

...and ancient fortress

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/101-0184_IMGa.jpg

And the village of Cashel had both a great photo opportunity and terrific cheese (blue type, which I usually dislike!)

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Ire_Cashel.jpg
a panorama made from two shots

My wife and I agree about spending a bit of time in the big city, but spend much more time outside the big city if you can, to really experience the people and the culture of a country! As for equipment, don't dwell too much on it...the above shots were taken many years ago with a G2, before I owned my first dSLR!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,181 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 05, 2011 00:32 |  #17

i'd leave the 100-400L at home...or if you're dead set on it, then leave the 55-250IS...but i'd probably take that over the L to just have a nice compact telephoto...unless you've got spots where you know for sure you'll see wildlife the 100-400 doesn't seem like it'd get much use...

also i'd rent an UWA, but that's just me

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 08:48 |  #18

ok Where do i find the Puffins? are they in Ireland?

Canon 7D, Canon Rebel T1i, EFS 55-250, Sigma 30mm, 85mm, EF 100 Macro , 100-400 L, EFS 18-135, EFS 17-55, 430EXII.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 05, 2011 11:03 |  #19

Yes they have Coors/Bud lite there and it is just as bad there as it is here. The Guinness there is much better than you usually get here.

When we went I took my 40D (did not have the 5D yet) EFs 17-85, 70-300DO, flash and CPs. Compact easy to carry kit that did all I needed. Travelling with a tripod is too much trouble so the IS is invaluable.

Looking at your current kit, I would think that the 7D, 17-55, and 55-250 plus flash would work admirably. Or the 100-400 for the long work.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2011 11:54 |  #20

toadallymissy wrote in post #13356978 (external link)
ok Where do i find the Puffins? are they in Ireland?

they might be in Ireland, I know they ARE in Newfoundland...

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2011 12:02 |  #21

toadallymissy wrote in post #13354426 (external link)
OMG my head is exploding. i am all for everything i can cram into 8 days. hows the wildlife there? birds? that cemetery is amazing tats. id love to find something most tourists wont get to see. i plan to take my 17-55, 55-250, 100-400 flash. **** i am sure i will take everything in my arsenal and probably rent the 10-22 for the trip. i want magical, fairytale, surreal. My friend wants only one thing. she wants to watch the border collies hearding. do they have coors light over there? lol and if they do will it cost me my arm and leg? Hey keith know anyone who would be willing to be a driver for our visit? that will get us to the non tourist stuff? of course i will want some of the touristy stuff too. i heard it pays well for drivers.

My favorite part of Ireland (we did both north and south, with our kids), was our side trip to the Aran Islands. You want to talk about "off the beaten track", you have to take a ferry to get there and ride bicycles or horse drawn buggies once you do. It was a magical place, full of moss covered celtic crosses and grazing sheep. I loved it and so did our boys who were pre-teens at the time. At one point we were hiking along a winding path en route to an old cemetary and we heard an accordion playing in the distance. As we rounded the bend, there was a wizened up old man, sitting in a rickety chair, with his eyes close, swaying back and forth playing "Danny Boy". It was something straight out of central casting! My cynical side figured this was his own little tourist trap (Danny Boy, really????) but it was so cool. I took a few pics of him, gave him some $$ and we all had a big yak with him. It was a moment I'll never forget and the pic is my screen saver on my phone still.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 05, 2011 12:10 |  #22

this was taken in my film days and this cheesy "watercolor" version of it is the only one I have left of it that made it in to my computer. Still, you get the drift of it...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sue Cassidy

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 13:50 |  #23

suecassidy wrote in post #13357531 (external link)
My favorite part of Ireland (we did both north and south, with our kids), was our side trip to the Aran Islands. You want to talk about "off the beaten track", you have to take a ferry to get there and ride bicycles or horse drawn buggies once you do. It was a magical place, full of moss covered celtic crosses and grazing sheep. I loved it and so did our boys who were pre-teens at the time. At one point we were hiking along a winding path en route to an old cemetary and we heard an accordion playing in the distance. As we rounded the bend, there was a wizened up old man, sitting in a rickety chair, with his eyes close, swaying back and forth playing "Danny Boy". It was something straight out of central casting! My cynical side figured this was his own little tourist trap (Danny Boy, really????) but it was so cool. I took a few pics of him, gave him some $$ and we all had a big yak with him. It was a moment I'll never forget and the pic is my screen saver on my phone still.

this sounds absolutely wonderful. i am going to research Aran Islands for sure.

Canon 7D, Canon Rebel T1i, EFS 55-250, Sigma 30mm, 85mm, EF 100 Macro , 100-400 L, EFS 18-135, EFS 17-55, 430EXII.

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 13:53 |  #24

Skip Souza wrote in post #13357334 (external link)
Yes they have Coors/Bud lite there and it is just as bad there as it is here. The Guinness there is much better than you usually get here.

When we went I took my 40D (did not have the 5D yet) EFs 17-85, 70-300DO, flash and CPs. Compact easy to carry kit that did all I needed. Travelling with a tripod is too much trouble so the IS is invaluable.

Looking at your current kit, I would think that the 7D, 17-55, and 55-250 plus flash would work admirably. Or the 100-400 for the long work.

too bad i dont care for dark beers. i like the piss water..lol but if they serve it in shot glasses ( for me) i might have to try every beer i come across. So you dont think a 10-22 is neccessary? something wider than 17mm. this will be my only issue.. do i rent one for a month and take it... or just suck it up and hope i dont regret.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 05, 2011 14:17 |  #25

Actually Guinness is surprisingly light, it is not nearly heavy or thick as it appears. There also are some interesting local ales and Heineken is quite popular.

I am a firm believer in a two lens travel kit, especially when flying. (KISS is my motto ;-)a ). With my 5D it is the 24-105L and with my 40D my 17-85 has been fine. I really depend on the assistance of the Image Stabilization and find it more useful (for me) than a faster lens. I tend to shoot in the f/8 sweet spot because I am not usually concerned about achieving a shallow dof when shooting scenery. Having said that, I would surely like to have an EFs 15-85 IS :-) Since you already have the 17-55 I think you are pretty much set.

Just be sure to stop and look and snap. It is a lovely country, the people are warm and friendly and the pub food is fabulous.

Remember it is called the Emerald Isle for a reason and in order for it to be so green it is wet.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

keith30d
904 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 05, 2011 16:04 |  #26

toadallymissy wrote in post #13354426 (external link)
OMG my head is exploding. i am all for everything i can cram into 8 days. hows the wildlife there? birds? that cemetery is amazing tats. id love to find something most tourists wont get to see. i plan to take my 17-55, 55-250, 100-400 flash. **** i am sure i will take everything in my arsenal and probably rent the 10-22 for the trip. i want magical, fairytale, surreal. My friend wants only one thing. she wants to watch the border collies hearding. do they have coors light over there? lol and if they do will it cost me my arm and leg? Hey keith know anyone who would be willing to be a driver for our visit? that will get us to the non tourist stuff? of course i will want some of the touristy stuff too. i heard it pays well for drivers.

re. transport, i would strongly recommend hiring a car and using a gps to head off yourselves. you will stumble across some fantastic locations on your travels and can stop and go at your leisure, find a local b&b or hotel and crash for the night before moving on. if you go this route and plan to visit both north and south you should find out beforehand if you can take your rented car across the border, just to avoid any unnecessary problems.

as someone else has mentioned, the weather in ireland is not the best. even in the middle of summer you can never discount the chance of rain, in fact if you expect it to rain and it doesn't at least you'll be pleasantly surprised-rather than pissed off that it's wet.

check out the discover ireland website if you haven't already seen it, it should give you all the information you need to plan your trip.

http://www.discoverire​land.com/us/ (external link)

to give you an idea of the sort of things you can find on your travels i've been lucky enough to spend some time in an area of donegal that untill recently i wasn't even aware of(even though it's only one hour from my door). i shot an engagement session in an area called poison glen and will be shooting the wedding in april in the shadow of the largest mountain in the area.

here's a link to some of the images on google image search

http://www.google.co.u​k …sch&source=og&s​a=N&tab=wi (external link)

2 x 5dc::50d::canon 28/1.8::canon 40/2.8::canon 50/1.4::canon 100/2::sigma 70-200/2.8::2 x canon 430 exii
www.keithrutherford.co​.uk (external link) / keith rutherford photography facebook (external link) / keith rutherford facebook (external link)

Mcav
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2011 16:21 |  #27

Hi I'm liv

Mcav
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 05, 2011 16:27 |  #28

...Oops hazards of big fingers on small screen! I live in the west of Ireland and would strongly suggest one of the lesser visited islands off the west coast. If you base yourself in Galway a day trip to inis oirr is a must. A truly magical place. Btw you've chosen the best mth for weather ... But bring wet gear anyway!! I hope it goes well for you.

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 20:37 |  #29

Thank You Everyone. Big Hugs.

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 05, 2011 21:56 |  #30

It'll be hard to not have a good time, photographically, socially, and otherwise. I've spent a couple vacations in Ireland, and LOVE the Beara Peninsula, in the southwest part of the country. The people are as lovely as the country, and the Guinness is good everywhere. Cork is wonderful, and, like Dublin, has a flavor of it's own. For me, however, do as suggested in earlier posts, rent a car, get a GPS, and wander. Put together an itinerary that lets you arrive at your lodgings for the evening with a few hours to explore the region. 8 days isn't a LOT of time, but will certainly give you a taste of Ireland, and certainly tempt you to come back. Get a 10-20 or so, take the 55-250, take the 100-400.
Regards!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links

3,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help planning trip to Ireland.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.