Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Nov 2011 (Friday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help planning trip to Ireland.

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 22:03 |  #31

Thank You Don.

Canon 7D, Canon Rebel T1i, EFS 55-250, Sigma 30mm, 85mm, EF 100 Macro , 100-400 L, EFS 18-135, EFS 17-55, 430EXII.

sponsored links
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 05, 2011 22:17 |  #32

I spent 3 weeks driving around Ireland. If you have that kind of time all you need to secure is a car rental everything else will take care of itself short of staying in Dublin or Galway which might require reservations. I had a blast I went to lots of dolmans, castles, tower houses, towns, pubs, churchs. Newgrange features a 5000 year old sacred burial site, Rock of Cashel is where leaders from the four kingdoms would meet. Blarney castle is one of the best medieval castles around. Dun Aengus is unique and on the Aran islands. Cliffs of Moher. Cork is gorgeous. Glendalough is an amazing site. The entire island is chock full of history. You will notice the rooftops of old churches are missing. There was a period when the british crown taxed based on the sqft of roof space on property. Thus if you had a empty church antiquity on your property you took out the roof to save on taxes. The Dingle and Ring of Kerry are excellent. It just goes on and on and on and every 7-10km you run into a village. Make sure to explore off the beaten track and avoid the more dangerous areas of Dublin and Limerick.

I arrived in Dublin after being up for 20 hours and it was my first driving experience and Dublin is not well signed so it took a couple of hours to figure out how to head south from Dublin. I traveled all through the south up to Galway and then up to Belfast. I could spend months there shooting. Bring what you would to any destination and keep it simple. The less gear the better.

keith30d wrote in post #13354221 (external link)
been to ireland? i live in ireland, well northern ireland but let's not get political lol. where abouts in ireland are you thinking about visiting? some of the sights on offer are spectacular! if it's landscapes you're into you should definitely look at the west coast/north antrim coast and if it's cities then there's dublin/belfast/cork/de​rry etc. for history then we're practically falling over the stuff, i live in a city with completely intact city walls from the early 1600's and tbh we take them for granted but the tourists seem to love them .

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Derry (external link)

if you want any questions answered just ask and i'll do my best to help

My great or great great grandmother lived in Derry and at 12 years of age took a coffin ship to America never to see her parents again. She left with the neighbors. I have yet to be there but I have blood from that city :)

toadallymissy
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 05, 2011 22:36 |  #33

Thanks Jetcode. My lists keeps getting bigger and bigger. i think i need to print out a map and figure out my paths. 8 days will go really fast and im afraid my first day will be a blur from the flights jetlag.

Canon 7D, Canon Rebel T1i, EFS 55-250, Sigma 30mm, 85mm, EF 100 Macro , 100-400 L, EFS 18-135, EFS 17-55, 430EXII.

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 06, 2011 00:08 |  #34

Missy,

I spent 3 1/2 weeks driving around Ireland and Scotland. I took a 17-55, 10-22 and 70-200. I used the 17-55 about 60% of the time, the 10-22 about 39% of the time, and the 70-200 only on one day for about 20 minutes. While you may think of the 10-22 as a landscape lens, I used it more for indoors shots of castles, and houses. While a castle may look big on the outside, you will find that the rooms and halls are small. You will need WIDE when shooting inside.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

Mark2Mark
136 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 06, 2011 12:07 |  #35

Wilt wrote in post #13356113 (external link)
And the village of Cashel had both a great photo opportunity and terrific cheese (blue type, which I usually dislike!)

Cashel blue is delicious! It's available here in England and I buy it at every opportunity.
Be sure to find a cosy pub, maybe with some live music, a pint of guinness, and forget about the photography for a few hours. :)

Gear

Panchdara
124 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 06, 2011 15:58 |  #36

Well, if you happen to be up NW (NW of Belfast) during the NW200... bring a long lens for some of the best road motorcycle racing! Or pop over to IoM for the TT? Have a great trip. Ireland is so, so green :)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 06, 2011 16:51 |  #37

Sirrith wrote in post #13354431 (external link)
I hear Cork is beautiful.

I was in Cork maybe twenty times. The city is very nice, but what is even nicer are the places around it. Just 20 mins away is Blarney Castle. 30 min, and you are in Kinsale, the gourmet capital of Ireland. Walk around the harbor, have lunch there, see the old fort, and the drive to the Old Head of Kinsale, where Lusitania got sunk, to see an unbelievable golf court there. I am not a golfer, but it is worth driving there to see the cliffs there!

For all of this you will need both a wide angle and a telephoto. Ireland has wide open spaces in the country, tight quarters in the cities, and plenty of things to train your telephoto on.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,604 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 06, 2011 22:50 |  #38

Keep in mind that generally, roads are not the wide divided highways that permit high speed driving, except for the area immediately around Dublin. Mostly highways that we would consider to be secondary highways in the USA...and we found some roads, which appear on the map as 'highways', seemed scarcely wide enough in places for two cars (one in each direction) to pass without one pulling over for the other. So don't plan on averaging 60mph for the driving!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 07, 2011 12:16 |  #39

Wilt wrote in post #13363846 (external link)
Keep in mind that generally, roads are not the wide divided highways that permit high speed driving, except for the area immediately around Dublin. Mostly highways that we would consider to be secondary highways in the USA...and we found some roads, which appear on the map as 'highways', seemed scarcely wide enough in places for two cars (one in each direction) to pass without one pulling over for the other. So don't plan on averaging 60mph for the driving!

60mph? You've got to be kidding! :-)

On the way from Cork to Blarney there are a couple of bridges that two cars cannot fit, you have to wait for the other guy to cross it first. And somewhere near Kinsale on a nice country road I had to stop and start backing up until I was able to use somebody's driveway in order to let a tourist bus heading toward me! Did you notice that many cars in Ireland have side mirrors broken? :-) And remember, unless you are from the UK or Au/NZ, you are driving on a "wrong" side of the road...
Still, it is a beautiful country, and it is well worth it renting a car and driving there.

goingsking
108 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 07, 2011 15:03 |  #40

I visited some inlaws several years ago before my dslr. I wish I would have had one. While it rained in Dublin often (we went in August)once we traveled to other places lighting was better. We went into a lot of buildings and lighting was really bad. I think my 24-105 would be ok as a general walk around lense. I think the faster you have the better. I think a 18-55 zoom would be really good except the low light issues. Lots of landscapes and of course all the towns have narrow streets so taking a heavy long lense might not be that great.

Canon XTi, 7D, Minolta XE7 ; EF-S 18-55; EF-S 55-250; 24-105 L4; 28mm f 1.8; 85mm f 1.8; ef 70-200 f 4 IS; EF70-300L

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 09, 2011 10:37 |  #41

Ireland in General:
Cliffs of Moher
Town of Doolin (near Cliffs of Moher, very nice seascapes at sunset)
Slieve League (Cliffs of Mohers "bigger brother" (external link)
Blarney Castle (kiss the Blarney Stone, nice gardens as well)
Powerscourt Gardens (If youre into flowers/etc since youre there in the spring)
Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge (external link)
Wicklow Mountains National Park
Kilarney National Park (Torc Waterfall is a must if you like waterfall shots)
The N59 "loop" which has Connemara National Park and Kylemore Abbey is a great drive
The Burren National Park (very stark landscape thats quite something to see)
Ashford Castle
Cong
Conor Pass (the road isnt for the faint hearted, make sure you take a leak before going up but its a must do)
Hill of Slane
Dingle (make sure you do the R559 loop, it goes to the Westernmost point of Europe and has some great seascapes)
Donegal area

In Dublin:
Temple Bar (its an area and theres a bar by that name in the area) is lots of fun for birthdays
Glendalough (near enough Dublin for a nice side trip)
Book of Kells
Dublin Spire (tall needle thing)

Food in Dublin:
The Boxty House (In Temple Bar, make sure you make reservations its busy)
Mr. Arepa (Merchants Arch in Temple Bar, its a Venezuelan corn biscuit filled with tasty cheese and chicken served hot, excellent hot snack)
Dada Moroccan Restaurant (external link) (fantastic Moroccan food, great place)

Ive spent eight weeks in Ireland over the past year and im leaving for another four tomorrow morning. Ive still got to see most of the northern area but thats happening this trip hopefully.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Nov 09, 2011 12:26 |  #42

In days of yore, Temple Bar (the area) was where genteel folk went to retrieve their purses. :lol:

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

sponsored links

3,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help planning trip to Ireland.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.