Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 28 Jun 2008 (Saturday) 13:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-

EricR
47 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 05, 2011 19:38 |  #6841

I took this one last night while at work. The cockpit was very dim and AF was on the "10" on the flap lever position indicator.
I just got this lens 2 weeks ago. I'm still getting a feel for it but, so far I like it.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6120/6316810622_38b8b69c8c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ericramsey/6316​810622/  (external link)
IMG_5883.jpg (external link) by Eric Ramsey (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 06, 2011 23:27 |  #6842

Im really interested in picking this lens up to use with my canon 5d. Banannaraws shots have completely sold me. Now I had the 30mm for my 60d and loved it, had no focusing issues with af at all. I see here that the quality control on the 50mm isnt that great. My question is,let's say I get a copy that does front focus or back focusing af. Would it kill the deal if I didnt bother with af and stuck to mf? I'm planning on possibly picking it up in a couple of days. I'm chasing the sigma more than the canon bc I love the bokeh it creates. If it's that much of a hassle I guess ill consider saving a hundred dollars by picking up the canon version. Any insights would be greatful!

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

zarray
167 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 06, 2011 23:50 |  #6843

EricR wrote in post #13358829 (external link)
I took this one last night while at work. The cockpit was very dim and AF was on the "10" on the flap lever position indicator.
I just got this lens 2 weeks ago. I'm still getting a feel for it but, so far I like it.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ericramsey/6316​810622/  (external link)
IMG_5883.jpg (external link) by Eric Ramsey (external link), on Flickr

that's the throttle quadrant for a B737 if i remember correctly?

5D Mark II | 5Dc |17-40 | 24-105 | 70-200 F2.8 IS | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 580EX

EricR
47 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 07, 2011 00:12 |  #6844

zarray wrote in post #13363993 (external link)
that's the throttle quadrant for a B737 if i remember correctly?

Yep, this one was a 737-800.

NotASpeckOfCereal
297 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 07, 2011 05:05 |  #6845

BryantFC wrote in post #13363944 (external link)
Im really interested in picking this lens up to use with my canon 5d. Banannaraws shots have completely sold me. Now I had the 30mm for my 60d and loved it, had no focusing issues with af at all. I see here that the quality control on the 50mm isnt that great. My question is,let's say I get a copy that does front focus or back focusing af. Would it kill the deal if I didnt bother with af and stuck to mf? I'm planning on possibly picking it up in a couple of days. I'm chasing the sigma more than the canon bc I love the bokeh it creates. If it's that much of a hassle I guess ill consider saving a hundred dollars by picking up the canon version. Any insights would be greatful!

Hi - I've just gone through the same thing - I was going to buy the Canon but found a 6 month old Sigma for sale locally for the same price as the Canon 1.4

I used it over the weekend and found it front focused - but I've MFAd it and it seems much better - I'm toying between 5 and 7 MFA so it's not a significant issue.

Manual focus wouldn't kill the deal IMO

Gear List

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2011 05:37 |  #6846

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Jennie (external link) by jj_glos (external link), on Flickr

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 07, 2011 05:46 |  #6847

Love that shot of Jennie!

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 07, 2011 08:23 |  #6848

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,828 posts
Gallery: 324 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 07, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ goonico's post |  #6849

^ Lovely..!!

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

x.alexiou
24 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 07, 2011 09:10 |  #6850

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1132.photobuck​et.com …/autokinhsh1/IM​G_4429.jpg (external link)

Keep Walking Greece :cry:

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2011 09:38 |  #6851

BryantFC wrote in post #13363944 (external link)

If you get a Ee-S focus screen to go along with it, then no, it shouldn't be a problem... manually focusing that is.
Also, you can get the lens calibrated(free if the lens has a warranty), if it does have focus issues, or even replaced, provided you buy it new.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 07, 2011 11:18 |  #6852

The Devil wrote in post #13365323 (external link)
If you get a Ee-S focus screen to go along with it, then no, it shouldn't be a problem... manually focusing that is.
Also, you can get the lens calibrated(free if the lens has a warranty), if it does have focus issues, or even replaced, provided you buy it new.

Yes, I'll be buying new. I'll send it in to get calibrated but I'm not sure about sending my camera along with it. If in any case (probably a good possibility) that I get one with issues, ill try sending it back and getting a replacement. I'm planning to buy mine from b&h or adorama. Still debating if I should go for the canon version but the only reason I would is for the good af out of the box although I'm more of a mf user. But with my experience with the 30mm, I love he sharpness and bokeh that comes from the lens. Thanks for the tidbit on the ee-s screen as well!

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 07, 2011 16:18 |  #6853

If you're gonna buy new you might aswell try different samples before you find one without any issues.

P.S. the issues usually come from different AF tolerances for the lens AND camera. Only a few lenses are genuine useless ones as far as AF goes (the ones that front- and backfocus at random).

Also, you might want to stick to your 50mm F1.8 for now and instead get yourself a Sigma 24mm F1.8 or a Canon 28mm F1.8. Just saying. That's what I'd do anyway.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 08, 2011 10:13 |  #6854

mtimber wrote in post #13336311 (external link)
Love the colours.

Great image.

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 08, 2011 14:24 |  #6855

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6216/6326666220_76fb30923a.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bananaraw/63266​66220/  (external link)
Buxus! (external link) by BananaRaw  (external link), on Flickr

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

sponsored links

3,197,328 views & 171 likes for this thread
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM -SIGMALUX-
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.