Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 28, 2011 18:47 |  #781

Mine is for sale in the classifieds.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links
justaf ­ IREMAN
Goldmember
1,148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 29, 2011 01:19 |  #782

jacobsen1 wrote in post #13322353 (external link)
Mine is for sale in the classifieds.

Was the AF that bad for you or did you pick something else up?

current gear...1DIII, X-E1, X-PRO 1, X100, Lumix LX5, Fujinon 35 1.4, 85LII, 430EXII, 430EX....
past canon gear....XS, 7D, 2 5DII, 2 1DIII, , 18-55IS, 24-70L, 85 F1.8, 85LII, 35F2, 35L, 24L, 200 F2L, 580EXII....

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 29, 2011 02:01 as a reply to  @ justaf IREMAN's post |  #783

The Af on this camera isnt really bad...Its just not as good as my 5dMk2 witha 24-70 l lens. Most of the comments here about the AF are from people that have a main camera as a dslr and are really giving the x100 a very high hurdle to get over in respect to matching those AF levels. For what this camera is the AF is adequate. I for one have got used to the idiosyncrasies that this camera has and whilst I too complain at the AF i put up with it because the IQ that this thing comes out with is second to none in its catagory/size. There is no compact camera on the market that comes anywhere near this iq except for the m9 and thats full frame anyway and 5 times the cost.

Regarding uses....Its not a pro dslr...Its a compact mirrorless street camera. If I wanted to take a pro landscape shot I would either use my 6x17 or my 5dMk2 full frame. The x100 wasnt designed to replace these cameras although if used it as a emergency camera for those situations it aquits itself extremely well. Its a street / portable camera with a damn good IQ. I use this 90% of my spare time as its easy to cart around and when the right shot arises it takes it with no fuss and great IQ. In addition to this there are many shots I am incabable of getting with a 5d and big lens as this in your face setup is not appropriate for those "stolen" shots

Fuji marketing saw a good niche in the market here for this sort of camera. Infact according to my local camera store many of the first people that put their names down for these cameras well before release were Professionals looking for a top quality point and shoot that could be adjusted manually in respect to shutter speed and aperture etc. It makes sense....I had a g10 and then played with other small sensor cameras and they just couldnt get the image quality anywhere near close to a DSL...I gave up with using any small camera till this came along because at is0 200 and above it was that noisy cropping was out of the question in 90% of the cases. It was like night and day DSL vs point and shoot/compact till the x100 came along.....

Also there have been 2 firmware upgrades and the second most recent upgrade has improved the AF. I also read the other day that Fuji are committed to further firmware upgrades so this camera only gets better and better with time!

Hope this info helps

Rgds

Clipper

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 29, 2011 10:28 |  #784

justaf IREMAN wrote in post #13323542 (external link)
Was the AF that bad for you or did you pick something else up?

I have a NEX already, and tried their 24mm at photoexpo. That just fits my style better since it's got other lens options as well.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

funks
72 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 31, 2011 01:14 |  #785

tsw910 wrote in post #13245612 (external link)
here's my story with this camera ..
-bought one a few months back and returned it due to AF issues
-leaving on an awesome trip next week, looking for a NICE camera but don't want to carry all my DSLR gear! too heavy!
-not looking for another system (4/3)
-IQ is definitely desired

My story is slightly different, had the X100 and it was great - loved the great color rendition.. Sold it because I just missed too many shots in low light (take pics at parties and such). Kept looking and looking and finally decided on...

Panasonic G3 coupled with the 20mm F1.7 pancake and it's great. Panasonic finally worked on their funky white balance issues (I bought the original Panasonic G1 when it came out) in JPG's. It's ever so slightly larger than the X100 (due to the EVF hump). Good thing about it is that A/F in low light works much better than the X100 (and this is with the 20mm which is considered the slowest focusing u43 lens). High ISO is also much better than the original G1. I know alot of people scoff at electronic aides but Face Detect IMHO is a very important feature when taking party pics. The 20mm is also a darned great lens - sharp even at f1.7.

I'm now thinking about snagging the 14mm F2.5 pancake which is another sharp lens, wider lens may be easier to use during parties / taking group photos..

What do I miss about the X100? The build quality (metal body) but that's pretty much it.. Sorry for going out of topic..

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 04, 2011 19:22 |  #786

Just wanted to point out that there are now loads of these on eBay for under the retail price, and even a bunch under $1100. Happy days!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Route246
492 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2011 10:07 |  #787

Did you update the firmware?

reprazent wrote in post #13308099 (external link)
I had similar results at the bar last time. I got maybe 1 out of 10 that was a keeper. Not that I care much about what my friends say, like they think my 5D's AF is sluggish :rolleyes: but the X100 AF is unreliable (especially in lower light situations) and manual focus (by twisting the ring a few dozen times) is out of the question. Good IQ and high ISO performance is pretty useless this way..

Gear List, Blog, (external link) Gallery (external link)

reprazent
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 05, 2011 12:12 |  #788

Yes I did and I really doubt the AF issues can be solved with a new firmware, not to mention I find it really annoying that the 1.11 update even reset the shuttercount...

I'll be bringing the X100 with me on a trip (final test) to Macau tomorrow

gearlist | flickr (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2011 14:10 |  #789

Do AF-C, its been working Much better for me.

Not sure what firmware i'm at though, i only updated it once when i first got the camera and haven't bothered since.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

tenoverthenose
822 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 06, 2011 13:08 |  #790

I just picked up a x100 to replace my DP2. After using the x100 for some test shots, I'm not 100% sure that it will replace my DP2 (I still love the black and whites that thing makes). I can live with the focus - after all my main body is a 5dII. The UI isn't perfect, but the camera is incredibly useable and I am more concerned about image quality, which is where this thing seems to shine. But after some quick tests, the x100 seems soft at f2 which is one of the primary reasons I wanted it. Stopped down to 5.6 or even 4 it's tack sharp. I'll have to lock it down on a tripod to check for sure, but so far it doesn't look good.

Also my DP2 is considerably smaller, realistically a pocket camera.

www.patrickpike.com (external link) | twitter (external link) | facebook (external link)

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 06, 2011 20:38 |  #791

I don't know if this has been covered, but I can't seem to get acr to read the x100's raw files. It doesn't seem to want to convert them to dng's either. Does anyone have any information on this. I'm using acr and ps cs4. Thanks for any help in advance.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link) :cool:
Instagram (external link)
-Sean
x100, Canon 5D, 24-105 f/4L, Σ 50 f/1.4, 580 ex II

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 06, 2011 20:58 |  #792

tenoverthenose wrote in post #13361420 (external link)
I just picked up a x100 to replace my DP2. After using the x100 for some test shots, I'm not 100% sure that it will replace my DP2 (I still love the black and whites that thing makes). I can live with the focus - after all my main body is a 5dII. The UI isn't perfect, but the camera is incredibly useable and I am more concerned about image quality, which is where this thing seems to shine. But after some quick tests, the x100 seems soft at f2 which is one of the primary reasons I wanted it. Stopped down to 5.6 or even 4 it's tack sharp. I'll have to lock it down on a tripod to check for sure, but so far it doesn't look good.

Also my DP2 is considerably smaller, realistically a pocket camera.

I considered a DP2 myself, mostly for its Foveon goodness...but the operation seems pretty awful to me. Particularly the ridiculously long RAW write times. If they put the SD1 sensor in there, though? That would be one incredible little camera. It's too bad they apparently can't put said sensor together for an even remotely reasonable price!

That's one of the little hopes I have for Fuji. With faster operation and, say, 10mp resolution (instead of the 4.7 they currently have), the DP series would be the ultimate pure picture-taking cameras. Tremendous IQ, no frills, super compact. The X100 has a few more frills and is less compact, but it could still be in the running for that title with some refinement. The IQ is great and high ISO performance is particularly impressive, but it still can't match the (relative) detail that the Foveon cameras can produce. So when Fuji started hinting at new sensor technology in their X100 update, I started crossing my fingers that it was going to be something non-Bayer. X100 + no AA filter required + faster operation = me selling all of my other camera gear.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

clipper_from_oz
Goldmember
2,623 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 07, 2011 05:15 |  #793

icebat wrote in post #13363244 (external link)
I don't know if this has been covered, but I can't seem to get acr to read the x100's raw files. It doesn't seem to want to convert them to dng's either. Does anyone have any information on this. I'm using acr and ps cs4. Thanks for any help in advance.

Your right...I just checked Adobe CS4 and it doesn't read them!!...I use lightroom and it reads them no problems thats why Ive never noticed this!!. Maybe use the raw converter http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=4923 (external link). Or use Fujis File reader thats on the CD that came with the Camera. Should be no problem converting from Fuji's native raw to DNG anyway via Adobes converter. I don't think there will be any image degradation issues there . I actually convert in Lightroom to dng from Fujis Raw and its no issue for me. BTW if you havnt used Lightroom have a look at it...Great Raw editing and Its available as a free trial from Adobe

Regards

Clipper
5DSR,5DMkII,Fuji XPRO1,X-T1&X-T20,Fotoman 6x17cm Large Format Panorama Camera,Mamiya Universal 6x9
Canon EF 16-35mm f4 L, 17mm TSE f4 L,50mm f1.4, 24-70 f2.8 L, 70-200mm F4 L, 85mm f1.8, 100-400mm II L,
EF 400mm f2.8 IS II L, Fujinon XF18mmf2, XF35mmf1.4, XF60mm f2, XF18-55f2.8-4.5, XF55-200f4
Rodenstock, Sinar& Nikkor LF lens for Pano (75,95,150+210mm)
flickr (external link)

tenoverthenose
822 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 07, 2011 09:52 |  #794

cptrios wrote in post #13363348 (external link)
I considered a DP2 myself, mostly for its Foveon goodness...but the operation seems pretty awful to me. Particularly the ridiculously long RAW write times. If they put the SD1 sensor in there, though? That would be one incredible little camera. It's too bad they apparently can't put said sensor together for an even remotely reasonable price!

That's one of the little hopes I have for Fuji. With faster operation and, say, 10mp resolution (instead of the 4.7 they currently have), the DP series would be the ultimate pure picture-taking cameras. Tremendous IQ, no frills, super compact. The X100 has a few more frills and is less compact, but it could still be in the running for that title with some refinement. The IQ is great and high ISO performance is particularly impressive, but it still can't match the (relative) detail that the Foveon cameras can produce. So when Fuji started hinting at new sensor technology in their X100 update, I started crossing my fingers that it was going to be something non-Bayer. X100 + no AA filter required + faster operation = me selling all of my other camera gear.

For what I use the DP2 for, it's almost perfect. The seemingly clunky operation is fine for me - I don't try to use it as an action camera. There is just something about the noise of the Foveon that looks perfectly akin to film grain that I love. To me the high iso Foveon files are beautify because of this. The X100 high iso noise, while very minimal, looks likes digital noise to me.

One of the biggest hangups for me is that the DP2 pushed to it's limit in a dim room (3200 iso, 1/40th, 2.8) it can't focus. So while I might have the ability to get the frame I need, I can't focus the thing at all making it unusable. I know for the purpose of trail hiking, the DP2 is my dream camera. Small, light, excellent outdoors, and just plain beautiful color and details.

I'm hoping I can grow into the x100 and learn to love it for what it is, but as many others have stated it's not perfect.

www.patrickpike.com (external link) | twitter (external link) | facebook (external link)

icebat
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 07, 2011 10:23 |  #795

clipper_from_oz wrote in post #13364580 (external link)
Your right...I just checked Adobe CS4 and it doesn't read them!!...I use lightroom and it reads them no problems thats why Ive never noticed this!!. Maybe use the raw converter http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=4923 (external link). Or use Fujis File reader thats on the CD that came with the Camera. Should be no problem converting from Fuji's native raw to DNG anyway via Adobes converter. I don't think there will be any image degradation issues there . I actually convert in Lightroom to dng from Fujis Raw and its no issue for me. BTW if you havnt used Lightroom have a look at it...Great Raw editing and Its available as a free trial from Adobe

Regards

Thanks Clipper. I actually got it figured out last night. I just installed the newer version of adobe's dng converter and everything worked. I guess my old version needed updated for the x100. Yes I have used lightroom, and would like to maybe get it at some point, but really acr works fine for me.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link) :cool:
Instagram (external link)
-Sean
x100, Canon 5D, 24-105 f/4L, Σ 50 f/1.4, 580 ex II

sponsored links

157,527 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.