Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 26 Mar 2006 (Sunday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DJ Portraits (56K Armageddon)

EricKonieczny
675 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Mar 27, 2006 18:08 as a reply to  @ post 1335595 |  #16

Thanks for the compliments all and I will try and answer many questions

I used to DJ, and be a promoter in college and in South Florida

I got into photographing DJ's, clubs, and nightlife about 7 years ago when I lived in Ft Lauderdale and frequented all the clubs in Miami / South
Beach. I become freinds with the top nightlife photographer in Miami and he soon took me under the ropes even though I only had a Sony 717, but he was very impressed with what I was able to do with it.

He taught me a lot, and got me access to events that I was covering for www.clubplanet.com (external link) and www.cooljunkie.com (external link) owner and operated by Tack Entertaintment the US's largest nightlife entertainment company.

I had the opportunity to photograph some of the biggest DJ's in the world and the biggest clubs in the US. But this was all for little or no money, just free access to any events I wanted, the chance to rub elbows with some celebrities and have the time of my life.

I then moved back to Ohio in 2004, on the border of Michigan and then started frequenting the Detroit club scene, and realized there was no really good photographer in the city doing what I do. ( i have since met a few others, but only one that is good, and I work with him on some projects also). So now I have gained the respect and trust of many club owners, DJ, and promoters in Detroit and Miami.

Without working for free in a HUGE market like Miami, I would not be able to charge any money and have the respect I do today.

It has been a long time coming and many jobs worked for free, but I have had a blast doing it.

thats it for now. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask

EKREATING photography - capture the feeling! (external link)
20D w/Grip|28-105 f3.5-4.5|70-200 f2.8L IS|10-22|580EX w/ ST-E2|Tripod 3021BPRO w/ 488RC2 Midi Ballhead & TC-80N3 Remote|Archos GMini 400|Tamrac Expedition 5

corterlifecrisis
645 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 27, 2006 22:04 as a reply to  @ post 1335595 |  #17

were there flash used in any of these? i'm looking to take live shots (musicians in local bands) and that's the style i'm going for, but the only info i can gather is low shutter speed to let in ambient and pop the flash for the person. you're shots are really really nice, i wish i could take the same!

Gear.Blog (external link).Photos (external link)"Doesn't mother nature make a war look silly?"

dzstudios
590 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 27, 2006 22:34 |  #18

Spiral Photo - I love your shots. All of em... perhaps not the shaggy one so much.. its not as 'tight' as the others...I think its a little bit due to the crop... and a little bit due to the composition...but the rest make up for it...they're great.

They make great portraits - and promo shots... even without the atmospheric lighting of a club, the way you portrayed them, makes it engaging.

Corporate photographers by necessity, music photographers by choice: www.d-z.co.uk (external link)

Come to Africa with us -- www.namibiandreams.blo​gspot.com (external link)

Spiral ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 27, 2006 23:15 as a reply to  @ dzstudios's post |  #19

corterlifecrisis wrote:
were there flash used in any of these? i'm looking to take live shots (musicians in local bands) and that's the style i'm going for, but the only info i can gather is low shutter speed to let in ambient and pop the flash for the person. you're shots are really really nice, i wish i could take the same!

dzstudios wrote:
Spiral Photo - I love your shots. All of em... perhaps not the shaggy one so much.. its not as 'tight' as the others...I think its a little bit due to the crop... and a little bit due to the composition...but the rest make up for it...they're great.

They make great portraits - and promo shots... even without the atmospheric lighting of a club, the way you portrayed them, makes it engaging.

Thanks a lot for the comments. Corterlifecrisis, yes, flash was used in all the shots I posted. As I've said in the past, I don't use the flash pointed straight on, as I find that it tends to flatten the image. To give a bit of depth with shadows, I bounce the flash off of everything, including just my hand or my own shirt. I just ordered a Stofen Omnibounce for my 420EX flash, and I'll have results on that posted probably sometime next week.

I've also been tempted to buy an array of differently colored cotton gloves to give different colored flash effects. Bouncing off my shirt, I find that blue, green, and yellow work well, but red has a tendency to create hotspots too easily.

EOS T2i w/batt grip | EF 50mm F1.8 | Sigma 18-50 2.8 | Sigma 10mm F2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 10-20mm | 420EX w/ST-E2 | Glidecam HD-1000 | Rode Videomic | Tascam DR-07 Recorder
http://facebook.com/ke​ntfrostphoto (external link)
http://facebook.com/ke​ntfrostpartypix (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
DJ Portraits (56K Armageddon)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.