Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Nov 2011 (Monday) 19:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client's friend altering picture posted on Facebook

skyliner33v
68 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 07, 2011 19:55 |  #1

I posted a preview of a shoot for a client on Facebook. And the client's brother, who is also a photographer, posted a comment to the picture with a link to the exact same picture, but with his style of editing.

Is this illegal, or just unethical?

sponsored links
PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 07, 2011 21:18 |  #2

Well, first I'd delete the comment. Second, if you hold the copyright then, yes, no one else should be editing it. When you post on Facebook be sure you include the Copyright info in details section and include things like "Do not crop or alter the image" or whatever. Some people really don't understand copyright and what that means (including some "photographers").

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 07, 2011 21:36 as a reply to  @ PeaceFire's post |  #3

Absolutely unethical. I would NEVER do that. Copyright violation - I think so. If you're putting anything you value on Facebook you need a big watermark. But shame on the other photographer.

Richard
Gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 07, 2011 21:50 |  #4

I'm not sure if I'd be worried about the ethical/legal implications of what they did as much as the PR implications if I got all bent out of shape over it and alienated them.

You can politely request that they pull it down and if they oblige you're good to go but if they don't, pursuing it might do you more harm than good despite being your legal right. Nobody wants to work with an a-hole.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 08, 2011 08:25 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #5

As a photographer he should know that it is both unethical and a breach of copyright. It's amazing how many togs don't actually understand copyright law.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,545 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 08, 2011 09:06 |  #6

But more important is, why would you post a "preview" on Facebook? You can do a contact sheet and email it, post previews on a Clients Area on your website, burn a CD/DVD, load it on a memory stick or a hundred other ways. No, the brother had no business touching the image but shame on you for putting it there.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

KFormus
189 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 08, 2011 09:14 |  #7

Hrm you may want to Read the Facebook terms of service, as you give up certain rights/license when you post images to facebook. Not sure if it gives him the right to actually edit and repost - but it MIGHT.

5DII, 40D, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, 50 f/1.8 II, 580EXII, 580EX, ABR800

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 08, 2011 09:15 |  #8

Although I consider it wrong to edit another person's photograph on facebook (or anywhere else for that matter), many (if not most) people have never even considered the idea that it may be wrong. Because of this, if I decide to post something on FB, I consider it fair game and don't allow myself to get bent out of shape when someone decides to edit it to their own liking.

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 08, 2011 09:41 |  #9

skyliner33v wrote in post #13368100 (external link)
Is this illegal, or just unethical?

... or has it become a “Derivative Work”. ;)

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

Mr.Kenmuir
316 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 08, 2011 09:53 as a reply to  @ DunnoWhen's post |  #10

Before I got into Photography, my wife and I and our son got a professional photo shoot done and when the Photographer posted a preview of our shoot on their facebook fan page I grabbed the photograph as I was tagged in it, I cropped where their watermark was and they simply asked me not to until we received our order and after that we can do whatever we want with the pictures. So simply contacting them saying something polite about how you feel might just do the trick.

Vancouver B.C. Family Based Photographer | Flickr (external link) | Official Site (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,601 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 08, 2011 11:38 |  #11

DunnoWhen wrote in post #13370371 (external link)
... or has it become a “Derivative Work”. ;)

Which would also be an infringement of copyright.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 08, 2011 11:50 |  #12

Dan Marchant wrote in post #13370879 (external link)
Which would also be an infringement of copyright.

Not necessarily.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2011 18:35 |  #13

if there not doing it To Resell the work they might get away with calling it fair use, its online and may be considered editorial, such as used in a blog

View My Flickr (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,601 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 08, 2011 21:36 |  #14

DunnoWhen wrote in post #13370929 (external link)
Not necessarily.

Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:
• To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;
• To prepare derivative works based upon the work;

Source: http://www.copyright.g​ov/circs/circ1.pdf (external link)

Obviously I don't know if the OP is in the USA but copyright law in this regard is the same in most countries. Creation of a derivative work is a breach of copyright. If you know of an exception that would apply in this case then posting some meaningful details would help the OP.

LONDON808 wrote in post #13372874 (external link)
if there not doing it To Resell the work they might get away with calling it fair use, its online and may be considered editorial, such as used in a blog

It makes no difference if they are reselling the image or not. As for editorial use that would only be a valid claim if they were actually using it for editorial use, such as to illustrate an article on a particular topic. Just reposting the images on Facebook or on a personal blog, in a post entitled "pics of me" or something similar is just personal use and would not benefit from a claim of fair use.

Dan Marchant

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2011 21:44 |  #15

Fair use is a defense against an infringement action.

@OP -- How did the edit look? If the other 'tog didn't say anything negative, didn't remove a watermark, and didn't try to take credit, who cares? Sounds like a bit of a compliment, actually.

Besides, post on FB, what do you expect?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

2,779 views & 0 likes for this thread
Client's friend altering picture posted on Facebook
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.