Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Nov 2011 (Monday) 19:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flassh Controller

drdimento
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2011 19:58 |  #1

I am shooting a wedding Saturday and want to move my flash away from the camera and use a second flash also that are mounted on stands. I've seen people mount a radio controller master unit on top of the camera and mount the 580 EX2's to receivers and control them via radio antennae units.

Can someone tell me the most value conscious RADIO units to use? And are they relatively easy to use? And reliable?

sponsored links
7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 07, 2011 20:02 |  #2

These are cheap and work great http://www.hkyongnuo.c​om/e-detail.php?ID=282 (external link)

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2011 20:21 |  #3

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13368129 (external link)
These are cheap and work great http://www.hkyongnuo.c​om/e-detail.php?ID=282 (external link)

Hmmmmm, looks interesting. Are there any you know that are more readily available like at B&H or the like?

BTW, having never used this style of shooting equipment what is the official gadget name of these devices? Are they easy to use? Are they pretty customizable?

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 07, 2011 21:08 |  #4

There is an ETTL radio controller for 580EXes, I think from Paul C Buff... But it's quite expensive.

There are non-ETTL radio flash triggers available from a lot of places, like the one at the link above. They are much cheaper, but your flashes will all need to be set up manually. Some can be used to fire studio stobes, too. PocketWizards are one of the top brands. There are many copies and some are inexpensive.

580EX and all the other Canon flashes communicate by IR, not radio. So you generally to have ETTL control over them from the camera you need an ST-E2 or one of the third party equivalents, such as this: http://www.hkyongnuo.c​om/e-detail.php?ID=277 (external link)

These allow you to set the flash ratio remotely and give you full TTL metering of the flash.

However, IR is line of sight only, so that somewhat limits where you can place the flash units.

Radio allows a lot more flexibility, where you can place the flashes. Usually they have greater reach than IR, too. But most do not meter TTL and most you cannot make changes and adjustments to the flash output remotely.

I guarantee you a wedding is not the place to be learning to use wireless, multiple flashes!

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2011 21:39 |  #5

SOLUTION . . went with the PocketWizard. Has some issues if the lights are further than 30' but short of that all is well. So, that's my ticket.

I have quite a bit of experience and the only place i really want to use the flash control like this is the portraits where i want to put the lights on the sides of the camera and then shoot control. Maybe a few times with the dances but short of that im a camera mount flash and do just fine with that so I think I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the input.

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 08, 2011 07:36 |  #6

Good choice but I would hardly call PocketWizards "value conscious" haha but you will enjoy them

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 08, 2011 07:45 |  #7

Pdubs are probably the most expensive route that you could have possibly gone with.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 08, 2011 11:49 |  #8

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13369956 (external link)
Good choice but I would hardly call PocketWizards "value conscious" haha but you will enjoy them

Yeah I ordered 3 of them today and will be here tomorrow and will experiment with them some before the shoot. I'm pretty safe without them but I just have not been pleased with my camera mounted configuration. So i will mount the transmitter on the camera, one light right, one light left, and go with that configuration for now. I will eventually get a 3rd 580 EX ii and another PocketWizard and have a nice portable 3 light set.

jcox10
110 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 08, 2011 13:39 |  #9

You will be very happy with the PW, they are solid. Not the cheapest...but you get what you pay for.

S95 | 7D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 8-16mm | 580EX II | 430EX II | Various Strobist Gear | Feisol CT-3442 Rapid w/ Acratech GP-S ballhead

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 08, 2011 18:23 |  #10

jcox10 wrote in post #13371470 (external link)
You will be very happy with the PW, they are solid. Not the cheapest...but you get what you pay for.

Thanks. Was looking at your inventory of gear and wonder if the PW will trigger both a 580 EX ii and a 430 at the same time?

jcox10
110 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 09, 2011 10:11 |  #11

The PW plus II will trigger almost any flash...a friend of mine is using a mix of Canon, Nikon, and Sigma flashes. The flex TT-5 would need at least a flash that is compatible with Canon ETTL if you want to use it in TTL mode.

But the 580 and 430 would be no problem.

S95 | 7D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 8-16mm | 580EX II | 430EX II | Various Strobist Gear | Feisol CT-3442 Rapid w/ Acratech GP-S ballhead

drdimento
THREAD ­ STARTER
39 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 09, 2011 14:15 |  #12

jcox10 wrote in post #13375613 (external link)
The PW plus II will trigger almost any flash... . . But the 580 and 430 would be no problem.

Yeah I will only be using the 580 EXii's or a 430 if nearly as good as the 580 other than power?

sponsored links

1,262 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flassh Controller
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.