Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 06 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Laptop vs. macbook pro

kurmisosh
173 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 06, 2011 16:52 |  #16

tim wrote in post #13362179 (external link)
Please explain and justify your opinion, preferably with references.

I am not a diehard fan of the shiny apple and I also use PCs in my workflow. However, let me rephrase my statement. If you are planning on using FinalCut HD you need a Mac. FinalCut used to be the industry standard video editing software. This being said… Final Cut Pro X might change the game, if Apple doesn’t address some compatibility issues in the future.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 06, 2011 19:48 |  #17

tim wrote in post #13362077 (external link)
I've owned 4 PCs over the past 7-8 years. I had a virus years ago, now I use common sense and antivirus software. My PCs are stable and reliable, with very few issues.

Most problems are caused by the user.

Fixed. ;)

ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 06, 2011 20:20 |  #18

One Windows laptop with very high build quality is Lenovo. I posted a review of their W520 which has built-in colour calibration system. It is here - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1104301

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200L IS II, EF 100 macro, 1.4 TC III, 430 EX II
Flickr (external link)

dou_b_14
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 06, 2011 22:11 |  #19

As I stated before. I regularly use both systems. If you can afford a Mac, get it. It's like a luxury car. You don't need it, but they're built right. I use my Mac with just photoshop and Lightroom. Both run the same as on my pc's, but after 3 years not once has it crashed on me or froze up. It runs as fast as the day I bought it with no tune ups or maintenance what's so ever.
My main system is a pc, but I'm slowly turning to my Mac more often. It was just my portable work station when I went out of town, but lately I'm seeing usage at home more often.

Canon 5d w/grip / canon 7d/ canon G1X/ 24-70mm 2.8 L/ 17-40mm L/ 50mm 1.4/(2)580ex/ pw's (3) /st-e2/ (2)cp-e3 battery pack/ abr800/ vagabond 2/ calumet genesis 200w(2)/

bluelight
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 07, 2011 02:54 |  #20

Thank you guys, such a good response.
I was actually expecting similar response and within my budget I can go for better specs if I stick to windows based platform. plus I can reuse all my softwares :)

Gul
Canon 5D MarkII, 35mm F2.0, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F 1.8, 135mmF2.0L, a little bit of this and a little bit of that

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 07, 2011 09:52 |  #21

Josh_30 wrote in post #13361957 (external link)
there are right-click functions available, but only a single click available on the trackpad.

Nope (OSX 10.6.8 screenshot, but I'd hope Lion is similar)
And there's always ctrl-click.

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20111107-niuj9q7d1b5yny1sak33w6wctd.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/ggwca/trackpad  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

Josh_30 wrote in post #13361957 (external link)
I'm slowly learning the shortcuts and workarounds, but it's not quite as simple as you'd think... being that Apple has always been about being user-friendly. Programs also don't seem to really close when you hit the X button. You must go to the top menu and choose "Quit xxxx" for the program to actually really stop, or it will hang on to where you were when you left.

Here's a few links that might help if you're new to OSX: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10873537#po​st10873537

bluelight wrote in post #13364360 (external link)
plus I can reuse all my softwares :)

And that's a big advantage.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sbattey
Goldmember
1,250 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 07, 2011 11:27 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

René Damkot wrote in post #13365381 (external link)
Nope (OSX 10.6.8 screenshot, but I'd hope Lion is similar)
And there's always ctrl-click.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/ggwca/trackpad  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

Here's a few links that might help if you're new to OSX: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10873537#po​st10873537

And that's a big advantage.

If you use a track pad you can right click by clicking with two fingers instead of one.... Very very very easy... and it's enabled by default.

As for the programs still running when you close their user interface, that is because programs that do useful things without using a GUI should still be running when you close them. Example, iTunes. iTunes GUI doesn't need to be opened to play music, so the app only closes when you choose quit from the upper menu.

If you want your apps to quit, you can always use Command + Q to quit them. This key command will work with every app.

The GUI closing but app still running thing is a UNIX thing and also something that some windows applications do as well.

Also, Josh_30, the weird key you aren't familiar with when you see if in the shortcut menu is the ALT or OPTION key...it got me at first too. (The upward pointing arrow is the shift key, btw)

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | 430EX II
Blog (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 07, 2011 15:29 |  #23

I own both myself. I've been a PC guy most of my life. Was even a PC repair technician for a couple years. That being said, I own several PCs for my desktops currently and a MacBook pro for my laptop. I think the build quality alone of a MacBook is worth it. And if I need a "desktop" I just hook my laptop up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse. I also have an iPad and iPhone. So I guess you could say for home I go PC, for mobile I go Mac.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2011 17:58 |  #24

mike_d wrote in post #13361400 (external link)
You get more performance for your money with a Windows machine. Lightroom and Photoshop work the same regardless of the underlying operating system.

Also more headaches for your money.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 07, 2011 18:02 |  #25

edge100 wrote in post #13367568 (external link)
Also more headaches for your money.

My Windows machines run great. Then again, I know how to use a computer.

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 07, 2011 23:06 |  #26

If i had the money, i will buy both MBP and Notebook with Microsoft. Best of both worlds :)

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

bluelight
THREAD ­ STARTER
651 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 08, 2011 00:08 |  #27

Hmmm reading couple of times this thread, I understand that a) its a matter of choice b) fair compromise between quality, performance and specs c)ability to use and combat windows issues
I assume mac will have its own set of issues so c would apply to that.

Gul
Canon 5D MarkII, 35mm F2.0, 50mm F1.4, 85mm F 1.8, 135mmF2.0L, a little bit of this and a little bit of that

danny819
520 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 08, 2011 02:00 |  #28

I have been using a pc for the past 7 years. I was forced to use an iMac for a whole year during a Computer Arts course and fell in love with the Mac's operating system. I am now a proud Macbook Pro user. I guess it's all preference. Apple products are generally more elegant looking than most PC products, but then again they charge a lot more. Once you go Mac, you can't go back.

5Dc | 17-40L | 35L | 85 1.8

palmor
959 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2011 06:24 as a reply to  @ danny819's post |  #29

I own both a MacBook Pro and PCs so I'm not a fanatic either way. My personal opinion is that if you are looking at a laptop FOR photography objectively then there are better offerings going PC (at least for me). The Lenovo W520 and Dell M4600 are two that come to mind (in the 15.6" range).

Both are geared towards photography/cad/graphi​c artists ect. Both should have build qualities equaling or surpassing the Mac (since I own the a W510 I can say the build quality does.. no personal exp with the Dell).

Some ways that they work better for me:
High gamut matte screens (IPS with the Dell)
Built in color meter with the Lenovo
Both can handle multiple hard drives (non-raid, or raid)
Both have user replaceable/extended batteries

Price wise they are competitive with Apple (usually cheaper). Lenovo seems to have weekly coupons and you can pick up a very well equipped W520 for ~1600 if you wait for the right coupon. I haven't found any good coupons for the M4600 which drives the price closer to the MacBook (but I think you get more features for the same price).

As far as the OS goes... Windows 7 is solid and so is MacOS. I have about the same number of crashes on both (which is basically zero), and both have their quirks. If you can use one you can use the other :)

John
http://pbase.com/palmo​r (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/johnw_trishw[/​URL (external link)
http://johnwoolleyphot​ography.com (external link)
Gear List

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2011 06:33 |  #30

Quality, speed, reliability and productivity wise, there should be no difference whether you get a great Windows laptop or Macbook.

Are Macbooks better than $500 laptops with seemingly similar specs? Yes of course! They're great machines.

What Mac-Fanatics seem to forget is that OEM's these days make laptops with similar quality components, a similar attention to detail and no... Mac's aren't the only laptop made of metal!

Here's some to consider (if you like sleek high-quality designs). A MBP user wouldn't be upset using any of these...
- Sony Vaio S
- Lenovo Ideapad u400
- Asus Zenbook
- HP Envy 14
- Dell XPS 15z
- Toshiba R850
- Lenovo X1
- Samsung Series 9

oh and it may be worth hanging around for Ivybridge, and hopefully these little number: http://www.engadget.co​m …faces-at-korean-retailer/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,099 views & 0 likes for this thread
Laptop vs. macbook pro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.