Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 17:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is a 580Ex II strong enough for outdoors?!?!?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,729 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 06, 2011 20:25 |  #16

Get a white popup tent thing and shoot under that. Costco usually sells them for < $99. Or ask someone to hold a black reflector above the person if you can't find shade. Use bare flash if you have to. If sun outside, keep to the subject's back.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
mo5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 06, 2011 20:40 |  #17

bobbyz wrote in post #13363162 (external link)
Get a white popup tent thing and shoot under that. Costco usually sells them for < $99. Or ask someone to hold a black reflector above the person if you can't find shade. Use bare flash if you have to. If sun outside, keep to the subject's back.

Thats really smart i actually had thought of that but i think thats a great idea the tent one. I mean im not shooting models either im just shooting young kids but i want to deliver good work you know thanks

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 06, 2011 21:02 |  #18

The problem with making just a person dark is the background is really bright and distracting, or tends to blow out. It's not a good look. Reflectors are great at making people squint.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 06, 2011 21:20 |  #19

mo5751 wrote in post #13362469 (external link)
I will be shooting individuals for a soccer team sometime next week and I have a 580exII and was planning on buying a stand wireless receivers and a brolly or softbox.

mo5751 wrote in post #13362955 (external link)
i had just bought the flash...

Your problem here is timing.
Photography is complicated.
Flash photography is four times as complicated.
Mixing flash and ambient light is even more complicated.
And when you have a lot of ambient (sunshine), well...

This stuff takes practice. You can't buy a piece of gear one day and expect to make professional images the next. And if you don't thoroughly explore the limits of your lighting before a big project like a whole soccer team full of kids, then you're headed for a train wreck.

I don't know how to fix the situation at this point. But the one certainty is that your lack of equipment isn't the problem. Your lack of experience with this kind of equipment is the problem.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,714 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 06, 2011 21:21 |  #20

Any chance of doing the shots indoors?

Shane
flickr (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 06, 2011 21:22 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

I don't know why you were linked to the einsteins, alienbees will work just fine for what you need them for and save you some cash.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

mo5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
312 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 06, 2011 21:34 |  #22

I was going to shoot without flash I already know exactly where im going to shoot and without flash it was fine I just wanted to try something new. Thanks for all the help though. I'm going to shoot it without flash but ill be getting the equipment and practice with the flash and maybe a qbox or a umbrella till I feel comfortable with that.

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 06, 2011 22:38 |  #23

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13363435 (external link)
I don't know why you were linked to the einsteins, alienbees will work just fine for what you need them for and save you some cash.

No real reason, that's why I said "or similar".

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,729 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 07, 2011 08:20 |  #24

mo5751 wrote in post #13363493 (external link)
I was going to shoot without flash I already know exactly where im going to shoot and without flash it was fine I just wanted to try something new. Thanks for all the help though. I'm going to shoot it without flash but ill be getting the equipment and practice with the flash and maybe a qbox or a umbrella till I feel comfortable with that.

Use the flash. Don't worry about nay sayers. Use bare flash but off camera. Sun at the back. If you can find some shade better. Select back ground so that you got some trees. We talking single person shots so 580exII shouldn't be problem IMHO. It will be lot better than no flash.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 08, 2011 15:52 |  #25

If you are only doing individuals, why not use a reflector.

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2011 16:10 |  #26

Gometang wrote in post #13372146 (external link)
If you are only doing individuals, why not use a reflector.

If it's a sunny day a reflector will make people squint or look like they're in pain from the incredibly bright light source. I used one once, never again.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 08, 2011 16:16 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

then you didn't use it right, I've had a ton of success with a reflector for sunny outdoor portraits, no squinty eyes at all..

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2011 17:16 |  #28

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13372273 (external link)
then you didn't use it right, I've had a ton of success with a reflector for sunny outdoor portraits, no squinty eyes at all..

I'm not sure how you can use it incorrectly. Generally you want to put light onto a persons face, so the reflector is reflecting light back at them. The light from the sun is bright.

How do you do it? I'm genuinely interesting in learning how to use a reflector on a sunny day.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 08, 2011 17:44 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

well for one, relfecting from the side/diagonally instead of right in front of them will minimize glare. I've honestly never had your problem so I don't know how I'd correct it.

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 08, 2011 18:05 |  #30

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13372658 (external link)
well for one, relfecting from the side/diagonally instead of right in front of them will minimize glare. I've honestly never had your problem so I don't know how I'd correct it.

Putting it to the side helps, but it's still a really bright light and makes people squint. I personally find flash much more effective.

Can you show us any images using a reflector?

sponsored links

6,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is a 580Ex II strong enough for outdoors?!?!?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.