Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 06:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon to Nikon equivalent...

imonkey89
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 06:12 |  #1

Hey guys,

A lot of the youtube photographers I'm subscribed to are Nikon shooters, which is fine. BUT it would be nice to have some kind of idea when they mention a D300s or a D7000 that the Canon equivalent might be a 5d mark II or a 7D (I'm just guessing)...

Also, Jared Polin (froknowsphoto) just uploaded a RAW file, open for editing, he shot out of the D3s at 8000 ISO... The noise was barely visible even at 100%. I get more noise from my 7D at 800 ISO!

What Canon would be comparable (ISO handling-wise) to the Nikon D3s and/or other Nikons.

Cheers,

Matt

Website/Blog: It's Worth a Shot (external link)

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,688 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 09, 2011 06:23 |  #2

I guess you could spend time on the Nikon website - but watch out - many a Canon user has been tempted, lured and lost to the dark side. :)

Doug
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)

5D Mk IV & 7D Mk II
EF 16-35 f/4L EF 50 f/1.8 (Original) EF 24-105 f/4L EF 100 f/2.8L Macro EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 09, 2011 06:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I don't get why people who have Noinks even post here, yes there is a thread dedicated to the Noink users

imonkey89
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 07:02 |  #4

^ I just want to make it clear that I'm a Canon user and I have absolutely no plans on "switching over to the dark side".

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 09, 2011 08:09 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

OK, fair enough....but there are cameras that look the same in the Canon/Nikon range, as to what specs they have, I am sure they differ slightly/or to a greater degree. I am not going to switch over, unless someone lends me their Noink and is really impressed with their system.

As far as I can say, their menu system is a right mess, but I am not used to their menu. As far I know, I prefer to stay where I am at the moment

imonkey89
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 08:16 |  #6

Sorry, I think I may have confused you with what I'm asking (my fault). All I want to know is what the Canon equivalent to the Nikons are. So when other photographers mention their Nikon gear, I know what the comparable Canon would be... The comparison obviously wouldn't be a perfect match, but just to put me in the right ball park.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 09, 2011 08:17 |  #7

400dabuser wrote in post #13375044 (external link)
OK, fair enough....but there are cameras that look the same in the Canon/Nikon range, as to what specs they have, I am sure they differ slightly/or to a greater degree. I am not going to switch over, unless someone lends me their Noink and is really impressed with their system.

As far as I can say, their menu system is a right mess, but I am not used to their menu. As far I know, I prefer to stay where I am at the moment

The menu is the ONLY reason I haven't swapped. That and the screens on the nikons I have seen seem to be lesser quality.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

gadiper
142 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2011 08:25 |  #8

I believe the Canon equivelant to the Nikon D3s is the 1D Mark IV

FUJIFILM X-T1 / 18-55 2.8-4 / flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,373 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 09, 2011 08:30 |  #9

imonkey89 wrote in post #13374735 (external link)
Hey guys,

A lot of the youtube photographers I'm subscribed to are Nikon shooters, which is fine. BUT it would be nice to have some kind of idea when they mention a D300s or a D7000 that the Canon equivalent might be a 5d mark II or a 7D (I'm just guessing)...

Also, Jared Polin (froknowsphoto) just uploaded a RAW file, open for editing, he shot out of the D3s at 8000 ISO... The noise was barely visible even at 100%. I get more noise from my 7D at 800 ISO!

What Canon would be comparable (ISO handling-wise) to the Nikon D3s and/or other Nikons.

Cheers,

Matt

Are you serious? You are comparing a full frame 12 megapixel pro camera to a crop 18 megapixel camera? I think you should sell all your gear and spend the $5000 + taxes on the D3S body only if you are so smitten on it :D

You need to compare apples to apples my friend.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

imonkey89
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 08:44 |  #10

Obviously I would never expect a 7D to be anywhere near the caliber of a D3s. I was merely expressing my surprise at just how much better it handles noise.

digital ­ paradise
"It takes a bit of work to get it in."
18,373 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 09, 2011 08:47 |  #11

OK. Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake. I have seen people do that before. You would be amazed.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 09, 2011 08:53 |  #12

400dabuser wrote in post #13374779 (external link)
I don't get why people who have Noinks even post here, yes there is a thread dedicated to the Noink users

In most cases it's because they used to shoot Canon, have been members here for some time, and have made many virtual friends (and some real-life ones).

Despite switching to Nikon, I for one still appreciate the wealth of information and opinion that this site provides - much of it is applicable no matter what brand you shoot with. Also if you look at the actual website URL you'll see it's 'photography-on-the-net' not 'canon-on-the-net'.

Unfortunately there are a percentage of members here who are locked into a tribal brand-name mindset thing, and seem to acquire a red mist the moment any other camera brands are mentioned ...especially if someone dares to voice that a particular Nikon might be better than their Canon - well, you know what follows - there are cleary some very insecure people around. :lol:

Shame really, 'cos otherwise it's a nice place here with loads of useful information.

To the original question, there are no directly comparable cameras between Canon & Nikon's ranges. Sometimes Canon has an edge, other times it'll be Nikon - it's swings and roundabouts; apples and oranges - you choose according to your needs (and pocket).

Arguably the Nikon D3s is the current king of high-ISO, in much the same way that the Canon 5D mkll is arguably the current king of video.

Canon 5Dmkll will probably get close enough to D3s high-ISO to satisfy most people in most circumstances, and maybe something from the 1D ranges would get close too - but if you're determined to compare like with like, D3s is a full-frame camera, so you'd have to restrict Canon choices to 5Dmkll or 1Dsmkwhatever-it-is-now.

Rob

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 09, 2011 08:59 |  #13

brand loyalty is silly.

as for comparability, just split the cameras into full frame vs. crop body.
FF Nikon flagship: D3x/D3s/D3whatever
FF Canon Flagship 1Dm4, 1Dm3, etc

FF Nikon prosumer: D700/D700s or D800 (future product)
FF Canon prosumer: 5Dm2

Crop Nikon top-of-the-line: D7000
Crop Canon top-of-the-line: 7D series

Crop nikon midrange: D5100/D5000
Crop canon midrange: 60D/50D, T3i

Crop nikon introductory: D3100/D3000/D40x/D40
Crop canon introductory: Rebel T3 etc

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 09, 2011 09:09 |  #14

RobKirkwood wrote in post #13375261 (external link)
In most cases it's because they used to shoot Canon, have been members here for some time, and have made many virtual friends (and some real-life ones).

^ What he said bw!

Here the list I remember off my head:

----Canon---equivalent--- Nikon----
----1DS Mark3--------------- D3X----
----1D Mark4--------------- D3S----
----5DMk2--------------- D700----
----7D--------------- D300s----
----60D--------------- D7000----
----T3i--------------- D5100----
----T3--------------- D3100----

Nikon D800

imonkey89
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 15:29 |  #15

Thanks everyone! And thank you Chippy569 and ching, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Cheers,

Matt

sponsored links

8,397 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon to Nikon equivalent...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.