Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Nov 2010 (Wednesday) 18:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 1D MKIII and Eye-Fi Card

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 26, 2010 10:15 |  #16

Well many others have installed the software and have had no issues with the card, maybe we all had Windows-based machines. I only sold mine when I sold the MKIII.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,157 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2010 10:23 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #11348474 (external link)
Well many others have installed the software and have had no issues with the card, maybe we all had Windows-based machines. I only sold mine when I sold the MKIII.

I bought an Eye Fi Pro, both for its ability to transfer RAW files, and for its ability to handle transfers via an ad hoc network connection (no router connection to a network). I never got the ad hoc to work, in spite of following published instructions on their web site and in spite of following additional detailed instructions from Tech Support. In the end, they said "It works on Window 7", but since I was not ready for the expense of a Windows 7 upgrade for the laptop, I gave up. Gotta wonder why they had any claims about ad hoc support for anything other than Windows 7...they should have been specific in their product information!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,154 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 26, 2010 11:21 |  #18

I used it on XP, and not Windows 7. Maybe there are more issues with the newer cards and software then? I had one 2 years ago, and it worked flawlessly, but it was through my wireless network to the laptop. Maybe they are having issues trying to support all the different OS and hardware configurations.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MSIGuy
369 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 26, 2010 15:50 |  #19

Wilt wrote in post #11348504 (external link)
I bought an Eye Fi Pro, both for its ability to transfer RAW files, and for its ability to handle transfers via an ad hoc network connection (no router connection to a network). I never got the ad hoc to work, in spite of following published instructions on their web site and in spite of following additional detailed instructions from Tech Support. In the end, they said "It works on Window 7", but since I was not ready for the expense of a Windows 7 upgrade for the laptop, I gave up. Gotta wonder why they had any claims about ad hoc support for anything other than Windows 7...they should have been specific in their product information!

One little thing I learned was that even though you can do ad-hoc networking, for the initial setup where you specify which computer to send it to and the first image transferred, you need an internet connection.

Their product is a good idea, but it's issues like that which ruin the functionality.

Some cameras, some lenses, plenty of gaffer's tape and beer.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,157 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 26, 2010 23:37 |  #20

MSIGuy wrote in post #11350004 (external link)
One little thing I learned was that even though you can do ad-hoc networking, for the initial setup where you specify which computer to send it to and the first image transferred, you need an internet connection.

Their product is a good idea, but it's issues like that which ruin the functionality.

I did establish a network router-connected Eye Fi card first, before I ever attempted to establish the ad hoc connection. And while one laptop computer could see the second laptop with the ad hoc connection, the Eye Fi configuration software never even saw the same ad hoc connection, preventing the link from being established between Eye Fi card and the ad hoc network.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

MSIGuy
369 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 28, 2010 10:10 |  #21

Wilt wrote in post #11351787 (external link)
I did establish a network router-connected Eye Fi card first, before I ever attempted to establish the ad hoc connection. And while one laptop computer could see the second laptop with the ad hoc connection, the Eye Fi configuration software never even saw the same ad hoc connection, preventing the link from being established between Eye Fi card and the ad hoc network.

See, that's the problem with the Eye-Fi's, the software feels patched together and doesn't work properly.

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 01, 2010 18:53 as a reply to  @ MSIGuy's post |  #22

It's worse, their "software" is written in Adobe Air.

I have the Pro x2 as well, it's in my T1i. The setup was a painfully long and required things it simply didn't need to need (like my email address, like phoning home to it's server, etc.)

Once I got it working it was SLOW. Shoot a JPG, wait... 10- 20 seconds later it slides down the right side of my display like a cute tiny Polaroid. No way to turn this off, or simply tell it to do a full screen preview. Nope. We're going to bury it in your file system in a folder. The software will let you go find the image, but if you double-click it you get an over-sharpened 3" preview. No full-screen there either.

So, after I decided that their software was for the birds, I figured I'd just enable FTP on my Mac and just have the card FTP the images to my laptop. The card REFUSED to connect to my FTP server, despite the fact that my FTP client could connect with the exact same settings. The logs even showed the card connect... but the (Adobe Air) config utility gave up anyway. (EDIT: Oh, it's not real FTP. It uploads to some server in BFE and then looks for my local-only server at 10.0.1.7 and never finds it, duh! How retarded is that?)

They could have used bluetooth and made the card pair to the USB adapter and just be done with the hassle. Plug and play. Only 30 feet range, granted, but right now I have to jump through a million hoops just to get a shot wirelessly to a computer 4 feet away. The beauty of Wi-Fi is lost on the complexity of it's configuration.

Despite the frustration, I have an original Eye-Fi (non-x2) on it's way with a CF to SD adapter to try this in my 7D. It's clear that this company has a million future customers if they'd just open their ears and listen to their customers instead of telling us to keep our money please. No official CF support to speak of, and no simple transfer. What a wreck.

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

MSIGuy
369 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 01, 2010 22:44 |  #23

I completely agree.

ccp900
Goldmember
1,569 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 01, 2010 22:54 |  #24

have you guys looked at flucard, its supposed to do the same thing...but i heard it also has some of its own nifty problems....but it might be easier to setup.

i just wish some chinese manufacturer makes a WFT copy.

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 85m f1.8 | Sony FE 20m f1.8 G | Samyang 18m f2.8 | Samyang 45m f1.8 | Zeiss Batis 40m f2 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

srowlandson
78 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2011 17:49 as a reply to  @ ccp900's post |  #25

I bought a Pro X2 8GB card, set it up on my iMac last night, put it in the 1dMKIII and connected it to my ipad.

I had to select the Eye-fi wireless connection on the eyefi and it works flawlessly now. even if you shoot 10 frames, then open the ipad app it will start downloading them, it also downloads the frames in the background.

Its a bit tricky to set up at first, but once you stop and read the instructions, it works perfectly.

My next step is to get it to send the files to my Dell Mini.

sponsored links

7,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 1D MKIII and Eye-Fi Card
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.