Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 10:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom 300RX's & PocketWizards

Thunderbird33
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2011 10:47 |  #1

Question for Elinchrom users:

I need to get some pocket wizards to replace my SkyPorts....the RX Transceiver died with very little use, and I found that with the 580EXII, it was never firing consistently - even 50% might be high. Not reliable enough for me.

I'm doing pet photos at some big chain bookstores and vets...so I need good reliable stuff because this can really be a chance for my labour of love to be profitable! :)

So...

Are Pocket Wizard II's compatible? Do they come with any cord that I can hook up to one of my 300RX Styles?

Would I need the TT1 and TT5 set to have the best of all worlds?

Skyport SPEED sets are inexpensive, but I'm leery about those.....

Thanks for any input!

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2011 11:06 |  #2

For one, it sounds like something was wrong with your Skyports to have that kind of problem. We hear reports of some inconsistencies and finicky behavior but nothing that extreme.

Pocket Wizard Plus II's work great and they're reliable, but having said that, if you dig hard enough you'll find people that hate them and have sold them off, deeming them as incompatible or that they just plain suck.

I use PW Plus II's with my RX strobes and it's flawless. I can't say you'll have the same experience but I have nothing but great experiences with my Plus II's and I would say I have 95% positive things to say about the Skyport system.

My 7 cents worth.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

Thunderbird33
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2011 11:08 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #3

So if I buy a set of two - would they come with the right cables to hook up to a Speedlite 580EX II and the 300RX style??

Or do I need to get those elsewhere?

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 09, 2011 11:11 |  #4

I actually have both Skyports and PW II's connected to my 600RX strobes. There are times in the studio that I use a laptop running the Elinchrom software (and the USB skyport) to control all the lights from one central place (especially when the backs of the strobes are out of reach), and I use a MiniTT on my camera hotshoe to actually fire the strobes (using the PW II's to fire them).

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 09, 2011 11:12 |  #5

Thunderbird33 wrote in post #13375790 (external link)
Question for Elinchrom users:

I need to get some pocket wizards to replace my SkyPorts....the RX Transceiver died with very little use, and I found that with the 580EXII, it was never firing consistently - even 50% might be high. Not reliable enough for me.

I'm doing pet photos at some big chain bookstores and vets...so I need good reliable stuff because this can really be a chance for my labour of love to be profitable! :)

So...

Are Pocket Wizard II's compatible? Do they come with any cord that I can hook up to one of my 300RX Styles?

Would I need the TT1 and TT5 set to have the best of all worlds?

Skyport SPEED sets are inexpensive, but I'm leery about those.....

Thanks for any input!

The Skyport RX transceivers are RX-only units and cannot be used with any other flash or strobe, yet you say you've used it with the 580EX II. The only Skyport I know of that will work with the 580EX is the Skyport Universal receiver. Is that what you meant to say? If so, then yes, the PW Plus II would be completely compatible. BUt if you really did mean to say the Skyport RX transceiver, then no, it's not 100% compatible. The RX tranceiver allows you to adjust the power level of the RX strobe as well as turn on and off the modelling light. The PW Plus II does not have that capability.

The MiniTT1/FlexTT5 units would not give you any more functionality than the PW Plus II would unless you also get the PowerST-4 which will allow you to adjust the power level of the strobe somewhat like the Skyport RX does (but by a different means).

BTW, the Plus II comes with a sort miniphone-to-PC cable that will allow you to connect the Plus II to the 580EX II but it won't work with the 300RX. For that, you'll need a miniphone-to-miniphone cable.

...Leo

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 09, 2011 11:13 |  #6

I'd recommend the cables from Flashzebra.com that have the Elinchrom connector on one end (screws in place on the back of the strobe for a very secure connection).

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2011 11:20 |  #7

Thunderbird33 wrote in post #13375912 (external link)
So if I buy a set of two - would they come with the right cables to hook up to a Speedlite 580EX II and the 300RX style??

Or do I need to get those elsewhere?

If you buy them new you'll get one cable with each unit. The cable they supply is the correct cable for connecting the PW to a 580EXII or any device with a PC sync connector. It's the basic connector and not the Nikon screw lock. When using sync cables, regardless of connector (but with the PC sync in particular) should always have backups. It's like having an extra set of batteries. NEVER leave home without a backup.

You can also replace that cable with the same but with the addition of a Nikon screw lock. This enhanced version of the PC sync protocol locks the connector to the device for a more secure connection. This same connection can be found on your camera's sync connector and on the 580EXII's sync port.

The cable needed for connection to an RX strobe is different. Instead of having a 3.5mm mini phone plug on one end and a PC sync plug on the other, the cable you'll need with have a 3.5mm mini phone plug on each end of the cable.

FlashZebra is a good source for all types of sync cables.

Robert

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2011 11:22 |  #8

sdipirro wrote in post #13375953 (external link)
I'd recommend the cables from Flashzebra.com that have the Elinchrom connector on one end (screws in place on the back of the strobe for a very secure connection).

I agree that the Amphenol connector is excellent and very secure. I have many of those cables but really only use them when the light is going up high or out on a boom. That way I don't have to worry about tugging on the cable and pulling the plug out. In normal use, I've never had a problem with or questioned the 3.5mm mini phone plug.

Robert

Thunderbird33
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2011 11:34 |  #9

PacAce wrote in post #13375948 (external link)
The Skyport RX transceivers are RX-only units and cannot be used with any other flash or strobe, yet you say you've used it with the 580EX II. The only Skyport I know of that will work with the 580EX is the Skyport Universal receiver. Is that what you meant to say? If so, then yes, the PW Plus II would be completely compatible. BUt if you really did mean to say the Skyport RX transceiver, then no, it's not 100% compatible. The RX tranceiver allows you to adjust the power level of the RX strobe as well as turn on and off the modelling light. The PW Plus II does not have that capability.

The MiniTT1/FlexTT5 units would not give you any more functionality than the PW Plus II would unless you also get the PowerST-4 which will allow you to adjust the power level of the strobe somewhat like the Skyport RX does (but by a different means).

BTW, the Plus II comes with a sort miniphone-to-PC cable that will allow you to connect the Plus II to the 580EX II but it won't work with the 300RX. For that, you'll need a miniphone-to-miniphone cable.

Yes - my error...it was the universal receiver, where I originally bought the cable from flashzebra to hook up to the 580EXII..

Thunderbird33
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2011 11:36 as a reply to  @ Thunderbird33's post |  #10

So a set of two PW II's and one of these will be all I need?

http://flashzebra.com/​screwlock_pc_fivemeter​/0042. (external link)

Thunderbird33
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2011 11:41 |  #11

TMR Design wrote in post #13376000 (external link)
I agree that the Amphenol connector is excellent and very secure. I have many of those cables but really only use them when the light is going up high or out on a boom. That way I don't have to worry about tugging on the cable and pulling the plug out. In normal use, I've never had a problem with or questioned the 3.5mm mini phone plug.

Would that be this one?

http://flashzebra.com/​wizardcables/miniwizar​d.shtml (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2011 11:43 as a reply to  @ Thunderbird33's post |  #12

Yes, and I believe Lon carries the same cable with a right angle plug on one end. He did when I last checked.

Robert

Muskydave22
Goldmember
1,716 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2011 21:10 |  #13

Why not use a Mini TT1 on the camera and Power ST4 for the light? Gives you tons of options for adjusting light from camera, especially with a AC3 controller.

This is what I use on an everyday basis.

Dave

Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Thunderbird33
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 14, 2011 10:03 |  #14

Muskydave22 wrote in post #13378805 (external link)
Why not use a Mini TT1 on the camera and Power ST4 for the light? Gives you tons of options for adjusting light from camera, especially with a AC3 controller.

This is what I use on an everyday basis.

Dave

I actually never knew that Power ST4 even existed! I have to look into it ASAP!!

EDIT: Just ordered them :)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 14, 2011 12:29 |  #15

Yep. Frank Doorhof apparently likes them: http://www.frankdoorho​f.com/site/?p=2254 (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

3,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
Elinchrom 300RX's & PocketWizards
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.