Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

C&C Aquarium Picture

yeeitsmarc
118 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 09, 2011 00:11 |  #1

I took this picture about a week ago and I've been getting some good comments. I was wondering what people out there in Photography-On-The-Net-Land thought about this. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

IMAGE: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu7ib0WKuT1r2z4u9o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1321205956&Signature=6QNw1K8IhMe2z%2BApvd9EjxQLO0w%3D

5D Mark II | YN-560 III | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L
www.marcgalera.com (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 09, 2011 07:47 |  #2

Certainly interesting light, but I would have had the person looking at me, cropped it closer to use that aquarium as a background - it looks cool. Obviously maybe this is a candid thing and you don't know the person but anyway. As it is I see a person looking into the aquarium which makes me wonder what is in there, but I don't see anything.

Gear List

Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 09, 2011 08:14 |  #3

Would have been cool with a shark looking at her from the other side of the glass! I'd crop out the lhs to get rid of that door reflection.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Nov 09, 2011 08:51 |  #4

I just don't see anything compelling in the image. Empty fish tank, back of someone's head....as a memory for you, it might hold special meaning....I suspect to most observers, it will come off as just a vacation snapshot.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 09, 2011 09:26 |  #5

I like the idea you had; it has potential. Unfortunately, the aquarium is overexposed, so there's no detail, just blue...so it's not very interesting imo. Can you reshoot it? Play around with different exposures. Try a polarizer.

led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 09, 2011 12:01 |  #6

boring photo, sorry.

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 09, 2011 12:17 as a reply to  @ led hed's post |  #7

I like it actually.

The tank is a little overexposed and cropping out the left side would help it, but i like it.

Its quiet. Serene.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

whoty
Goldmember
2,070 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 09, 2011 14:13 |  #8

Numenorean wrote in post #13374962 (external link)
Certainly interesting light, but I would have had the person looking at me, cropped it closer to use that aquarium as a background - it looks cool. Obviously maybe this is a candid thing and you don't know the person but anyway. As it is I see a person looking into the aquarium which makes me wonder what is in there, but I don't see anything.

Why would the person be looking at you? The aquarium is much more interesting.:)

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 10, 2011 07:44 |  #9

whoty wrote in post #13376778 (external link)
Why would the person be looking at you? The aquarium is much more interesting.:)

Ya that made no sense, unless you were trying to get a portrait but this is obviously meant to be either a candid shot or abstract.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 10, 2011 18:22 |  #10

whoty wrote in post #13376778 (external link)

Because I'm a portrait photographer and backs of heads don't interest me as much! ;)

Gear List

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 10, 2011 19:57 |  #11

Picture isn't showing up.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

NumLock
59 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 11, 2011 04:25 |  #12

I think it would be improved if we could see what the person was looking at.

redflash
726 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 11, 2011 07:20 |  #13

NumLock wrote in post #13384865 (external link)
I think it would be improved if we could see what the person was looking at.

Yeah, that!

Canon 60D Gripped Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) | 18-55 | 18-135 | Nifty50 | 70-200 f2.8 L IS Mk II | YN565 | ManFriday | Carry Speed Strap
razzi (external link) flickr (external link)
Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all :cool: - Dean Martin

yeeitsmarc
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 12, 2011 11:39 |  #14

Radtech1 wrote in post #13383460 (external link)
Picture isn't showing up.

I put it back up

5D Mark II | YN-560 III | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L
www.marcgalera.com (external link)
Feedback

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 12, 2011 12:02 |  #15

OK, constructive criticism:

Not nearly as bad as I expected given the nature of some of the previous posts. When a person is not looking into the camera, rather, is looking into an area included into the photograph (as is with your shot) the area she is looking at is generally perceived as part of the subject. Now, that area CAN be vacant, as in your shot, or it can be of something (imagine if she were looking at a fish, or something). In any event, that area, the place where she is looking is involved with the looker and makes for sort of a "dual subject".

The place where she isn't looking (in your shot, the part of the aquarium that is to her left) is generally NOT perceived as part of the subject, and as such, should not occupy a prominent portion of the real estate of the image. In other words, since she is NOT looking there, it is not interacting with the looker, and is not an important part of the composition.

In your shot, you have too much of the image taken up by, well, nothing really. If you want to make this better shot, you should crop it just to her left, and get rid of all the space that does not contribute to the composition. If the area on the left half of the image is not interesting enough for her to look at, then why include it in the photo?

You may hear this same general idea when someone says, "The subject should not be looking out of frame", which is, in essence, what she is doing. The image border in the direction of her gaze is closer than the image border that is NOT in the direction of her gaze. She is looking out.

This rule also comes into play with moving subjects, you don't want them moving out of frame. In other words, on a moving subject, you want more room in front of the subject (in the direction of travel) than behind the subject.

Hope that helps.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links

2,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
C&C Aquarium Picture
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.