Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 03 May 2011 (Tuesday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D MKIII via Canono rumors

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Nov 10, 2011 07:58 |  #136

rick_reno wrote in post #13370644 (external link)
IMHO Nikon has some "trick" stuff (HDR, multiple exposures, etc) in their cameras that Canon has chosen to ignore. .

Because the real photographers that spend real money on lenses don't use those stupid n00b features.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2011 08:02 as a reply to  @ post 13380263 |  #137

re: HDR.

it would be very simple to engineer a composite 32 bit image from a collection of exposure shifted captures.

note there is no tonemapping, no "artistic choices" to be made at this point: it is simply a stack of exposures designed to capture additional dynamic range, and saved in a format with wide enough bit depth to record it.

what you do with that extra range is up to you, during post processing. you could very easily compress/clip it to net a "normal" image, or tonemap it in some other way to enhance detail, etc.

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 10, 2011 08:15 as a reply to  @ post 13380263 |  #138

I have a 60D and enjoy the screen more than anything else on the camera. It has been helpful several times especially when shooting macro.

I apreciate it so much that if 5DmkIII is not having the same screen, it will be an argument for not buing one.

There is so many times where the articulated screen is helping to get the right angle. Sometimes a low angle is just what I want, with the screen I don't need to crawl on the ground. Other times I would like to take pictures on places where it is to narrow to get my head in, like taking a shot from inside of a box, inside the flower bed. Other times I want to take the pictures from an higher angle than my body. To still be able to see clear is an big advantage. And of course, for video the screen is perfect.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 10, 2011 09:01 |  #139
bannedPermanent ban

EL_PIC wrote in post #13370094 (external link)
Originally Posted by rick_reno

IMHO Nikon has some "trick" stuff (HDR, multiple exposures, etc) in their cameras that Canon has chosen to ignore..

What do you really want ... a 5D III or a D800 ???

“A camera is a tool to teach you how to see without a camera.” Dorothea Lange

If you have forsaken Dorothea Lange's advice ...
You are not a photographer - You are a gearhead - Regardless of which gear.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,104 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 10, 2011 09:40 |  #140

EL_PIC wrote in post #13380558 (external link)

If it's "advice" how can it be the ultimate "either/or" dividing factor between legitimate and phony photographers? Even if there is a way "advice" can be leveraged for this purpose, it assumes there is only one kind of "real" photographer, and only one legitimate photographic objective. Dorethea Lange, btw, became famous as a propagandist for hire. She was paid by the FDR commission to make people's hearts bleed at the plight of dust-bowl victims to ease the passage of the New Deal.
If you don't believe that advancements in technology can improve one's photography, aren't you wasting your time even looking at this thread? Or are you just descending to this level to trying to save us non-photographers with your wisdom?

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

ride5000
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 10, 2011 10:06 |  #141

like it or not, photography has ALWAYS involved "gear," and that gear has always had a direct influence on what is possible to create with the medium.

now, can one get so hung up about the gear that the photography suffers? absolutely--it happens all the time.

however, that doesn't render all discussions of the gear pointless and moot. i've sure seen plenty of crap pictures from luddites, and tons of excellent shots from "gearheads." :)

flickr (external link)

5dc w/ee-s, rokinon 85mm f/1.4, rokinon 35mm f/1.4, rokinon 8mm f/3.5, sigma 24 f/1.8, canon 35-135 f/3.5-4.5, canon 50mm f/1.8, nikkor s-auto 50mm f/1.4, tokina 11-16 f/2.8, 430ex2, pcb e640, oc-3, st-e2, pixel knight tr332, DiCAPac WPS10, b+w 10 stop nd, hoya hd cpl, kenko ext. tubes, brolly, diy softbox, etc.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 10, 2011 10:07 |  #142

EL_PIC wrote in post #13380558 (external link)

Some types of photography are inherently more technical than others. Does that mean that product photographers and food photographers aren't really photographers and landscape photographers and portrait photographers are?

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

bowlopho
179 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 10, 2011 10:56 |  #143

bemerick wrote in post #12339521 (external link)
amateur here - what benefit does the swivel screen give you?

it gives you a chance to hold the camera lower while you film.

[Canon XSi | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Sigma 20mm f/1.8 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | s90 | feedback 1 2 ]

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 10, 2011 20:15 |  #144
bannedPermanent ban

Lol.... so many people are caught up with the articulated screen. You know, just cause its there, it doesnt mean we have to use it. I can see how it could be more helpful than not.

I just wish it would come out now! It looks like I will get a 5dc and save up for the 5d III

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,104 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 10, 2011 20:22 |  #145

jjaenagle wrote in post #13383554 (external link)
It looks like I will get a 5dc and save up for the 5d III

That's what I decided to do...but am now thinking I have to get a 5DII in the interim! I love my 5Dc, but would like video and improvement in ISO--both for shooting my kids indoors.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

jjaenagle
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 10, 2011 20:28 |  #146
bannedPermanent ban

Mookalafalas wrote in post #13383588 (external link)
That's what I decided to do...but am now thinking I have to get a 5DII in the interim! I love my 5Dc, but would like video and improvement in ISO--both for shooting my kids indoors.

LOL, Yea thats what im thinking also. We are about to have our first child next month and i wanted something for it. Im not videographer, but a 5d II WOULD make it more convenient.

decisions decisions....

Instagram (external link)Website (external link)
GEAR & FEEDBACK

dlintz
613 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 10, 2011 20:48 |  #147

ride5000 wrote in post #13380325 (external link)
re: HDR.

it would be very simple to engineer a composite 32 bit image from a collection of exposure shifted captures.

note there is no tonemapping, no "artistic choices" to be made at this point: it is simply a stack of exposures designed to capture additional dynamic range, and saved in a format with wide enough bit depth to record it.

what you do with that extra range is up to you, during post processing. you could very easily compress/clip it to net a "normal" image, or tonemap it in some other way to enhance detail, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this in every DSLR (and maybe high end P&S's) some day soon. It seems improving high ISO and expanded tonal ranges are the "megapixel wars" of the future.

Doug

1Ds II 17-40L - 24-70L - Sigmalux - Sigma 85 f/1.4 - 70-200L 2.8 II - Sigma 1.4x - G9 - Cybersyncs and some other stuff

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 10, 2011 21:24 |  #148

Mookalafalas wrote in post #13380749 (external link)
If it's "advice" how can it be the ultimate "either/or" dividing factor between legitimate and phony photographers? Even if there is a way "advice" can be leveraged for this purpose, it assumes there is only one kind of "real" photographer, and only one legitimate photographic objective. Dorethea Lange, btw, became famous as a propagandist for hire. She was paid by the FDR commission to make people's hearts bleed at the plight of dust-bowl victims to ease the passage of the New Deal.
If you don't believe that advancements in technology can improve one's photography, aren't you wasting your time even looking at this thread? Or are you just descending to this level to trying to save us non-photographers with your wisdom?

Keep politics (particularly those with biased info) off the forum.

Dorothea Lange was an outstanding photographer, active in the art long before the depression. Plus, her photographs of the Japanese internment camps were considered so critical of the administration that they were impounded.

And the most famous of her shots, migrant mother, was real. The woman was 32, was eating vegetables from the fields, along with birds her kids killed with rocks. The photo shows a desperate woman. She had just sold the tires off her car for food.

Thank you. bw!

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 10, 2011 21:32 |  #149
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13368336 (external link)
1DX will have it...

nice, so you need $6800 canon camera to do what $700 dollar nikon can do.

Gear List

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 10, 2011 21:38 |  #150

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #13383940 (external link)
nice, so you need $6800 canon camera to do what $700 dollar nikon can do.

Yeah, but you'd spend the remaining $6100 just to get the Nikon stink off it.

sponsored links

24,214 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D MKIII via Canono rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.