Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 10:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Re-orient the Slingshot dividers to open the other way?

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2011 10:38 |  #1

I picked up a Slingshot 200, and realized that accessing the other lenses with the dividers in stock orientation was inconvenient/risky. What I mean is, you have to unlock the two side clips and unzip the door the rest of the way to get to the lenses, but if you sling the bag in front of you and open the door, the lenses are actually facing away from your body and could potentially fall out (not that this has happened, just seems a risk and also inconvenient). So I re-oriented the dividers so that when you sling the bag down in front, the lenses are now facing up so I can see what I'm doing and don't have to open the door all the way to take something out. The only thing is now if I forgot to close the door when I return the bag to my back something could fall out more easily. Has anyone else done this or found any other better way to rearrange the dividers? I'll post a photo tonight...

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

sponsored links
green_tooth
90 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 10, 2011 10:49 |  #2

Good idea.

I just gave up on Slingshot when I carry more then one lens. For me, it is very inconvenient to change lenses that are stored in the slingshot without taking the bag of the shoulder. I prefer Stealth Reporter and Inverse (or belt with lens cases).

Assembler Code: IBLU - Ignore Basic Laws of Universe | http://planeta-dosade.net (external link) |

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,616 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 10, 2011 11:04 |  #3

that was the 1st thing I did way back when I had my first SS200
allows a 70-200 2.8 and/or 100-400 with hood reversed to go in (I've once had both in) + another lens mounted on a body

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

L.Morey
Goldmember
1,571 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 10, 2011 11:55 |  #4

Please post a picture because I don't have this bag yet

7d gripped,40d gripped,G9,17-40f4L, 24-70f2.8 L, 70-200f2.8 mkll L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L, 50f1.4 , 85f1.8 , Sigma 24-70f2.8
Sigma 150-500 , Sigma 18-200f4-6.3 , Canon Ste2 , Canon
580mki , Canon 580mkllx2
http://lwmorey.zenfoli​o.com/ (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 10, 2011 12:20 as a reply to  @ L.Morey's post |  #5

I did the same thing with my slingshot.

I really need to do it with my work laptop/camera bag too - I think it's the fastpack350

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 10, 2011 12:31 |  #6

The only thing about doing that is if you don't want your shorter lenses stacked on top of one another you start losing storage space. Or even if you do stack them and you want the lens on the bottom you have to take the top one out, open the seperating flap, grab the bottom lens out, put the top lens back in... you get the idea. I have the 350AW and I do like the bag a lot but there really is no great configuration if you don't want to have to take the bag off and you have 4-5 lenses. Because of this, I picked up a ThinkTank Retrospective 30. If I'm going to be walking around all day I'll take the sling shot as it is more comfortable and distributes the weight better but if I'm going to be hanging out at one location I'll take the Retro.

barronchung
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2011 16:00 |  #7

wookiee2cu wrote in post #13381504 (external link)
The only thing about doing that is if you don't want your shorter lenses stacked on top of one another you start losing storage space. Or even if you do stack them and you want the lens on the bottom you have to take the top one out, open the seperating flap, grab the bottom lens out, put the top lens back in... you get the idea.

Luckily (or unluckily) I don't have enough lenses where that would be a problem. I have one lens on the camera stored in the middle slot, and room for two lenses and two flashes in the other slots.

I have also considered reconfiguring the slots such that the camera goes way in the back (i.e., you have to open the flap totally to get out the camera), so that my other lenses are closest to the partially opened flap. My thinking is that once I get to a location I don't need to reserve that prime location at the front of the opening for the camera, as it will stay out of the bag for the duration. It's more important to have access to extra lenses at the front opening as the camera would probably stay around my neck.

Anyways, I'll post a photo when I get home...

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

barronchung
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 10, 2011 20:10 |  #8

So here's the setup with the flap opened part way (i.e., if I was wearing it and sling it in front of me, this is what I'd see when looking down):

40D in the middle with Sigma 18-50mm
On the left I have a 430ex and a 50mm f1.8 (under the tag) with a Kenko 1.5x teleconverter mounted (I don't use the 50mm like this, it's for my 100mm lens but it fits better on this side of the bag)
On the right I have a 100mm f2 with a metal screw in hood, and a Noink SB-24 (recently bought it because of all the Strobist hype, not sure if I'll keep it as I have other flashes that could easily take it's place)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Second photo shows what it looks like without the 40D stored, I have a charger stuffed back there too:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

I basically have it arranged the way I had everything in my Nova 180AW bag, but now I can sling things to the back where it's more comfortable. I'm not sure if I want to keep it this way, but so far it makes more sense to me than the stock arrangement.

sponsored links

1,035 views & 0 likes for this thread
Re-orient the Slingshot dividers to open the other way?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.