Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 10 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Movie shooting stops??

SimplyEuphoric
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:13 |  #1

I recently bought a Canon T3, and I have been playing around with the movie shooting lately. I usually can only get about 10-30 sec of movie shooting, then my camera stops (without me asking it to) and gives me a message that says, "Movie recording has been stopped automatically." Why is that?

I'm using an 8GB Promaster memory card. "Professional High Speed"

Amidst a conversation about her past as an established equestrian, we drove by a wonderful barn filled with horses. I watched as she swiftly unrolled her window and took a deep breath through her nose, letting the sweet aroma fill her lungs. A true horsewoman, I thought. EOS Rebel T3

sponsored links
Mr ­ Rogers
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:27 |  #2

What class is that memory card?

there is a good chance that the card cant keep up with the camera.
Did you format the card?

I've had this same message come up on my t2i and it's always the card.

John

My Gear
Video Production-John Stanford Rogers

SimplyEuphoric
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:29 |  #3

Yes I did format the card.
http://www.porters.com …memory-card-sdhc-8gb.html (external link)
Thats the exact card I have.

Amidst a conversation about her past as an established equestrian, we drove by a wonderful barn filled with horses. I watched as she swiftly unrolled her window and took a deep breath through her nose, letting the sweet aroma fill her lungs. A true horsewoman, I thought. EOS Rebel T3

drbutchermd
63 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:32 as a reply to  @ SimplyEuphoric's post |  #4

I had to bump up to Class 10 when I bought mine. Looks like you have to as well.

Class 10 SD cards are what you need.

Canon 600D gripped, Canon 10D - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 mk1

SimplyEuphoric
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:36 |  #5

Thank you. Is a Class 10 faster?

Sickone
240 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 10, 2011 14:40 |  #6

yup

LoganR
122 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 10, 2011 17:24 |  #7

I don't get it. How can I use class 6 cards and experience NONE of these problems? I'm guessing the quality of the card comes into play? Hell idk.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 10, 2011 21:37 |  #8

Class 10 cards "write" the info faster than a class 6 card. If your camera can't write the info to the card fast enough, it can't record for very long, especially if recording at 1080 over 720.
Also, I've experience video stoppage because my battery was getting low as well.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 10, 2011 21:48 |  #9

LoganR wrote in post #13382813 (external link)
I don't get it. How can I use class 6 cards and experience NONE of these problems? I'm guessing the quality of the card comes into play? Hell idk.

Your Class 6 card may have a faster write speed then his (Just a thought)

BrickR wrote in post #13383966 (external link)
Class 10 cards "write" the info faster than a class 6 card. If your camera can't write the info to the card fast enough, it can't record for very long, especially if recording at 1080 over 720.
Also, I've experience video stoppage because my battery was getting low as well.

This is also one of the big reasons as well. Memory card is what seems to be the problem as everyone stated.

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 11, 2011 00:20 |  #10

Yeah, with my 7D (using CF cards, not SD cards) the slowest card I can use is a 30MB/s write speed, a SanDisk Extreme III. Anything slower and it halts the recording. Sometimes it shows a bar in the screen that indicates the buffer being filled and it can't record any more. It's simply the speed at with info can be transfered to your media. Fast cards have no issue, slow cards just can't get it done, there is too much information being transfered with these cameras.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

SimplyEuphoric
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 12, 2011 09:55 |  #11

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2442/3608505672_600781f911.jpg

Is the bar on the right what you are talking about?

Because I noticed that something similar to that would pop up just before it stops recording.

I'm going to to back to the store where I got the memory card and see if they can do an exchange, because they told me that this card would work for movie recording.

Mr ­ Rogers
72 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 12, 2011 17:05 |  #12

yes, if you're seeing that bar it means that your card is not writing fast enough for your camera.

John

My Gear
Video Production-John Stanford Rogers

JHunter
313 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 12, 2011 18:50 |  #13

Promaster cards are utter ****, don't buy them. I work at a camera store that does media recovery, I get probably 10x as many promaster cards to try to recover from as any other brands.

Jack
Eos 1d Mark IV | Eos 1D Mark IIn | Eos 1v |24-70 f/2.8 L | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS| 300/2.8 L IS | 430EX | 580EX II
http://www.jackhunterp​hoto.com (external link)

SimplyEuphoric
THREAD ­ STARTER
56 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 12, 2011 22:07 |  #14

Thanks for the heads up, what brands do you suggest?

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 12, 2011 23:01 |  #15

I like SanDisk. I use their products for professional audio recordings and they never let me down. All my CF cards are SanDisk as well. Though a few weeks back I did an audio job for a TV show (Celebraty Wife Swap) and the CF cards that the production company sent out for me to record onto were made by Transcend, 32BG cards. They worked perfectly and I never got any drops or dead sectors in them. And a 60MB/s, 400x 32GB Transcend card sells on Amazon for around $66 while a simular spec SanDisk card sells for around $100 on Amazon. At this point I think I'm going to give the Transcend card a try. I know that the quality will be there with the SanDisk, but after using those Transcend cards for a week and not seeing any issues in the 7 cards they sent for me to use, I think they could be a great, cheaper alternative.

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

sponsored links

9,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Movie shooting stops??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.