Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Nov 2011 (Friday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D + 50 1.8 or go for Sigma 50 1.4?

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 11, 2011 02:04 |  #1

I upgraded to FF a few weeks ago, and the day I received my 5D I used my 50 1.8 MK i to shoot some of my friend's birthday dinner.

I was truly blown away by the shallower depth of field, and overall rendering of colors in a low light environment. I used to have an XSi, then a 40D with a 50 1.8 MK ii and I remember really sharp images, but bokeh was not as good as it is on the 5D with the same lens (lenses are same build in every aspect except MK i is a Metal Mount). I mostly shot portraits of course when I had that set up, since it was an 80mm equivalent on those crop bodies.

Overall, I've shot for a year, and upgraded finally now to FF. I'm a university student, so my budget has been low, and gear wise, I've made careful decisions to what I would actually need and would use and learned and made the most out of it.

In general, I've always used one lens for the most part, ever since I picked up the 50 last year. Never went back to the kit lens and just kept on moving forward. Sold off XSi kit, then realized I wanted something wider when I went 40D, so I got the Sigma 30 1.4. Never went back to the 50 when I had it since I loved the 50mm equivalent length. Sigma IQ was just fantastic; also great bokeh, silent focusing, sharp when needed, excellent ergonomics for me, and real time manual focus override.

Atm, I'm preparing to study abroad in Taiwan next semester. I have my 50 MK i right now but I don't know if I should upgrade to the Sigma, or pick up a Canon 35 f/2 for wider angles (particularly for indoors, landscapes, night life since it's fast, etc.).

For me, there's been numerous times where I've felt like I needed a wider angle, but I'm not intuitively feeling whether it would justify picking up a 35 for that reason since the 50 range with the 30 on a 40D fulfilled around 95% of what I have shot so far.

I'm twisted right now, since I haven't shot enough with my 50 on 5D to know if it truly fulfills what I need. I know Sigmas are a hit and miss as well, but I would plan to buy a used one with confirmed sharpness and good AF. But so far, at least in low light, I am still pretty shocked at what I have taken from that one night.

I guess after hearing my story (sorry for the length), would you think it's worth spending 40% more for the Sigma for IQ, Bokeh, and Silence? Or would it be better for me to just pick up a 35 and have a wider angle, but still pretty good IQ due to FF sensor rendering?

Sorry for the length again, but for more detail, I mostly shoot for memories, high quality memories. I do a lot of hiking and nature stuff, and also shoot food and friends. Occasional events for campus orgs that my friends are in and such as well, but in general, I shoot a lot, and edit a lot, probably more than most people who are not doing photography for profit.

sponsored links
Jam.radonc
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 11, 2011 02:27 |  #2

Can't go wrog with the Sigmalux. I had two of them before I went to the 50L. It's all about focal length. If you love it there is no better value for money taking into account built quality etc..

Jam
5D3 | 450D | Panasonic DMC-LX3 | 430 EX II | ST-E2
24-70 L II | 50L | 50 1.8 I | 100L | Zeiss 35/2 ZE | Zeiss 85/2.8 | Zeiss 135/3.5
[COLOR="Silver"]Sold: 17-40L | 24L II | 85L II | 135L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 5D2

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 11, 2011 02:43 |  #3

I'm highly tempted right now since I just sold off gear and got paid xD Thanks for the response, I've already started reading up on it. I notice you have a 50 MK i also, would you say that IQ makes a difference from the 1.8 to the Sigmalux on your 5D2?

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 11, 2011 07:31 |  #4

hmm.. having owned the canon 50 1.8, 35 2 and sigma 50 1.4.. if you could own only one lens for the time being I would go with the 35 2, wider FL, lighter to carry around,
Plus you could probably buy the 35 2 + 50 1.8 for the price of the sigma 50 1.4.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sigma 50 1.4, I just wish it was smaller and lighter to carry around.

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 11, 2011 07:48 |  #5

taemo wrote in post #13385223 (external link)
hmm.. having owned the canon 50 1.8, 35 2 and sigma 50 1.4.. if you could own only one lens for the time being I would go with the 35 2, wider FL, lighter to carry around,
Plus you could probably buy the 35 2 + 50 1.8 for the price of the sigma 50 1.4.

Don't get me wrong, I love my sigma 50 1.4, I just wish it was smaller and lighter to carry around.

The manual focus options are significantly lighter!!!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 11, 2011 08:06 |  #6

pyrojim wrote in post #13385274 (external link)
The manual focus options are significantly lighter!!!

newb here, but which MF 50 and 35 lenses are you referring to?
when I went to the local camera store and tried the zeiss MF lenses, I immediately fell in love with them, but couldn't justify the size+price.
for old FD or Nikkor lenses, I don't know what adapter and lenses to get.

btw.. another thing I like about the 35 f2 is that it focuses closer than any of the 50 (23cm vs 45cm iirc) but the killer bee AF sound can be annoying sometimes

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

tsong
THREAD ­ STARTER
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 11, 2011 12:17 |  #7

taemo wrote in post #13385223 (external link)

That's my current plan. I have the 50 1.8 MK i (Metal mount), and thought about picking up the 35 f/2. I hear it's sharp, and I do "think" I could use a wider angle. I guess I didn't know about the focusing distance, that does intrigue me, and I would have more focal length options if I still picked up a 35. It's just amazingly difficult to find one. They appear on here, and within an hour or less, they're already sold (Same as on Fred Miranda). Price also went up, since I know within the last year Canon lenses have went up in price in general. My friend bought a 35 on Amazon for $315 last year, now it's $350 for the same lens new. In general, U.S. inflation, economic downturn and whatnot are also factors though.

With the Sigma, I think bigger is better. Makes the camera look more strong, and I'm a large guy so for me there's no issues with heavy gear, I prefer it more since I feel like I'm not playing with a toy. When I had my 30 1.4 on my 40D, it just felt rock solid and wrapping my hand around it without feeling like it would burst made shooting more enjoyable lol

I guess I'll just keep looking around, too easily swayed by opinions T_T

sponsored links

1,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D + 50 1.8 or go for Sigma 50 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.