Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 11 Nov 2011 (Friday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Girl and the horse. PP questions.

smyke
560 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2011 10:08 |  #1

Here are couple shots from my daughter's riding lesson.
It was already dark and the lights at the arena are pretty poor so I had to use ISO 1600 and I was actually impressed how I was able to deal with the noise (thanks to my new friend LR3). That is of course my opinion but I would like to know yours. Anything I should have done differently/better?

Another and probably my main question is regarding the shadows on their faces. I didnt want to use fill flash so not to scare the horses (not sure how they would react) and using any reflector was out of the question either. So are these shadows acceptable? I tried to lighten them a bit with Fill in PP but didnt want to push it.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6111/6333052319_b4a9a1d2ce_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/6333​052319/  (external link)
IMG_5784 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6096/6333804122_0512eebec1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/6333​804122/  (external link)
IMG_5783 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6044/6332983305_6d5d0f5346_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mszuminski/6332​983305/  (external link)
IMG_5777 (external link) by MSzuminski (external link), on Flickr

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 11, 2011 14:05 |  #2

F/2 is just too shallow for these types of shots. I normally use at least f/4 when shooting portraits to keep at least both faces in focus. F/4 is also about the minimum I'll use for shooting mounted riders in events unless the rider and horse are facing to the side (this puts them on the same plane) and then I have shot at f/2 on occasion.

Since you were shooting indoors and already had the ISO cranked up, that may not have been an option. I always hated shooting in indoor arenas since I never saw one with decent lights for photography. As for the helmet shadows, there is no way to get rid of the shadows when the rider is mounted, but I normally try to take non-mounted portraits without them.

Your best best is to take portraits out doors when possible. You might try a flash when shooting indoors, but be sure you try it first when your daughter is not in harm's way in case the horse spooks. Some horses don't seem to mind them and I know a lot of people use them at Western events, but some English horses have a little too much thoroughbred in them and don't like a flash.

Hope this helps.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 11, 2011 14:45 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #3

You have blown highlights in the first one which you would have seen in LR
Did you take any prep shots to chimp the histogram or just start firing away?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
560 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2011 14:46 |  #4

Thanks Bob.
I wish I could use f4 but I was already at 1/25 to 1/60 SS anyway. I cant believe these came out half decent hand held. :)
It would be tough with flash as there are multiple lessons going on at the same time so anywhere between 3 to 5 horses in the ring. it would be too much of a risk to start with "lightning" in there.

@chauncey
where are the blown highlights? on the wall behind them? I pulled them back with recovery slider so I know there were none on my daughter.
I did not prep for this at all. she had a 45 minute lesson and I decided to take some pics in the last 10 minutes or so. none of these were really posed. she dismounted and was walking the horse out of the arena and I got her attention and snapped.

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 11, 2011 15:55 |  #5

smyke wrote in post #13387027 (external link)
Thanks Bob.
I wish I could use f4 but I was already at 1/25 to 1/60 SS anyway. I cant believe these came out half decent hand held. :)
It would be tough with flash as there are multiple lessons going on at the same time so anywhere between 3 to 5 horses in the ring. it would be too much of a risk to start with "lightning" in there.

I wouldn't try a flash under those conditions either. You did get good shots of your daughter even though the horse is out of focus. If you have to shoot at f/2, try to get the horse and rider on the same plane.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

smyke
THREAD ­ STARTER
560 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 11, 2011 16:04 |  #6

I knew the horse was, but at f2 and being that close with 85mm prime there was no way to get them both in focus so I picked her. LOL

Mike

Flickr (external link)
Gear

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 12, 2011 00:34 as a reply to  @ smyke's post |  #7

They all look over exposed to me. You could fix the shadow on her face with a mask in PS. Not many other options if you can't use flash.

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

1,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Girl and the horse. PP questions.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.