Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 12 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 04:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Smallest hotshot Mic ?

NullMind
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 12, 2011 04:02 |  #1

What's the smallest hotshoe mic available for the 5D MKII ?

I'd like to goes better sound quality (just filming my kids, not pro work) but withouth having a massive mic on top of my cam, a remote mic is also not a question

So how small of a mic can I buy for the hotshoe ?

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback
Please excuse the Typos, Brain and Finguers can't sync.

sponsored links
image ­ monster
460 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 12, 2011 10:00 |  #2

Rode VideoMic Pro
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Pro_Compact_Sh​otgun.html (external link)

6D | 5Dc | X100V | 16-35L F4 IS | 40 2.8 STM | 50 1.8 STM | 135L | 70-300L IS |
Gear

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 12, 2011 12:45 |  #3

Well, the smallest would probably be the Sennheiser MKE-400 or that one pencil one (cant recall the make and model), BUT the smallest that performs better than the others is the Rode VideoMic Pro.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 12, 2011 20:55 |  #4

ben_r_ wrote in post #13390395 (external link)
Well, the smallest would probably be the Sennheiser MKE-400 or that one pencil one (cant recall the make and model), BUT the smallest that performs better than the others is the Rode VideoMic Pro.

Gotta agree. Just can't stand that MKE-400 the more I see comparison tests. Go Rode Pro.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 12, 2011 23:03 |  #5

Or, even better, depending on what youre trying to capture, get a good small digital recorder and a decent lav mic and get the audio off the camera.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 13, 2011 19:02 |  #6

ben_r_ wrote in post #13392292 (external link)
Or, even better, depending on what youre trying to capture, get a good small digital recorder and a decent lav mic and get the audio off the camera.

way to read the op, lol.

IMO a zoom H1 or similar would make a good alternative to on-cam, not sure if that's too complicated for your workflow or not but I'd go that way.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

Moppie
15,074 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 13, 2011 19:13 |  #7

I've got one of these, works very, very well: http://www.digitalphot​opro.com …dslr-video-microphone-kit (external link)

You do need to set the audio level manually though, and it is quite directional.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2011 07:52 |  #8

Okay, I gotta go with a slightly different idea.

First off, a dSLR camera just doesn't do a good job of recording audio. It is mostly the mic, but there are other limitations, too. Gain control being the biggest. There are a lot of ways to work around each of the shortcomings, but in my experience, limited though it may be, the more work arounds you use, the lower the quality.

Getting the audio "off camera", much like getting the flash off camera, improves the quality a lot. So, something like a Zoom H1 or the Tascam equivalent is a good way to go. Since you are only doing video of the kids, having it mounted to the camera is a good idea. Zoom makes this (external link), so you could mount it on the hotshoe of your camera. It also has a line out jack, so a simple 1/8 inch male to male stereo cord which you might have or can certainly pick up at Radio Shack for a couple of dollars would turn the H1 into a hotshoe mounted mic with the audio recorded in the camera. Bonus is that you also have an audio recorder you could use in other ways.

Simplest solution? Without a doubt, the Rode VideoMic Pro. Good quality sound and it is compact. Only downside to that is it is double the cost of the H1 and a hotshoe mounting device. And I just ran across THIS (external link), which gives you even more stuff for less money than the Rode VideoMic Pro.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Mark
My Gear List

"I don't travel to get to work, travel IS my work!

NullMind
THREAD ­ STARTER
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 14, 2011 10:10 |  #9

The Zoom idea is a fantastic one, look really small and one gets Stereo !! :)

NullMind
Sony A7R + Zeiss 15 2.8, Zeiss 21 2.8, Zeiss 85 1.2,TS-E 17L, 100L, 135L, Canon 50 0.95, Voigtlander 35 1.2, Helios 44M-6, 580EX II, Feisol 3441S, Markins Q3T Red
Full Gear & Feedback

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2011 12:11 |  #10

Chippy569 wrote in post #13395224 (external link)
way to read the op, lol.

IMO a zoom H1 or similar would make a good alternative to on-cam, not sure if that's too complicated for your workflow or not but I'd go that way.

Yea.. I know, I saw that, but Im always pushing people to try and get audio capture OFF their camera despite what they say. Its just like flash, NEVER use the on board and get it off camera. So I make the suggestion anyway hoping theyll do a bit of research into off camera audio capture and thus come to the realization that its more important than they originally thought.

And see? Maybe it worked:

NullMind wrote in post #13397581 (external link)
The Zoom idea is a fantastic one, look really small and one gets Stereo !! :)

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 14, 2011 12:12 |  #11

For most of us, stereo is a waste of time. You aren't going to have a horse go galloping through your shot and want the sound to mimic that action. You're shooting your kids playing in the sandbox or playing t-ball. Stereo isn't that important.

Where you might want to have it, though, is in your video so you have sound coming from both the left and right speakers of your sound system. This can be achieved in a simple fashion by copying the mono recorded track to both the left and right track in post. However, it sounds like you won't be doing anything quite that sophisticated, so using something like the H1 to get two sound tracks is a good bet.

As to small, I just got mine out and measured it. 5-5/16 inches long (13.4 cm). Weight is low, but I don't have a scale to weigh it. One other word of advice; get a wind muff for the head of it. If you are outside and there is any air movement, you will get a lot of whistling. Something like this (external link) is great. I use it on mine and I can't say enough about how good it is.

Mark
My Gear List

NullMind
THREAD ­ STARTER
629 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 15, 2011 04:47 |  #12

I did understood correctly, with the Zoom 1 the audio is recorded in the camera, not on the digital recorder, right ? (using the cable to the camera)

NullMind
Full Gear & Feedback

MarKap77
806 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 15, 2011 05:50 |  #13

NullMind wrote in post #13401755 (external link)
I did understood correctly, with the Zoom 1 the audio is recorded in the camera, not on the digital recorder, right ? (using the cable to the camera)

It can be recorded in the camera. The H1 is a recorder with a line out/headphone jack, and using a cable you can record the audio in the camera. The problem with doing so is you lose the ability to monitor the audio as it is being recorded because there is only the one jack. The screen will show you the sound levels and you can make adjustments based on that, but nothing beats hearing what is being recorded in real time to make adjustments.

In your case, since it is just video of the kids, that won't be necessary and you can go ahead and record in the camera.

Mark
My Gear List

sponsored links

1,946 views & 0 likes for this thread
Smallest hotshot Mic ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.