Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 13 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First time shooting NCAA basketball

kyleo92
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 13, 2011 16:08 |  #1

Okay, I will be heading to Carver-Hawkeye Arena to get my feet wet in college basketball before conference season starts and the place is (I'm assuming will be) full of photogs and people, etc.

Was wondering what the normal media set up is? Like, is there a media workroom or do photogs just do photos courtside?

Also, just some general things to expect would be nice. I've shot basketball and everything before, just not D1. And I've not had any experience at Carver, so if anyone has please help a brother out! :D I read in the media guide that there was an overhead camera/tv platform, is this something for remotes or could someone go up and shoot for a bit, then move down court side?

Equipment: Canon 7D — Canon 20D — Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS — Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L — Canon EF 85mm F1.8 — Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS USM — Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III USM — Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash — Manfrotto Magic Arms — Misc. gear for remote camera.

sponsored links
gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 13, 2011 19:33 |  #2

In most D1 schools there will be a taped off area on one side of the baseline, this is usually for photo and video the other side baseline are usually for the school cheer and dance team. Most arenas will have a photo work room to setup and leave your gear. Depending on how big the game is and if it is televised will determine how crowded the baselines will be. Also if you are going to be covering alot of basketball get one of these or something similar it will save your back.
http://www.crazycreek.​com …ne-chairs/longback-chair/ (external link)

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

kyleo92
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 13, 2011 19:38 |  #3

gromeo wrote in post #13395341 (external link)
In most D1 schools there will be a taped off area on one side of the baseline, this is usually for photo and video the other side baseline are usually for the school cheer and dance team. Most arenas will have a photo work room to setup and leave your gear. Depending on how big the game is and if it is televised will determine how crowded the baselines will be. Also if you are going to be covering alot of basketball get one of these or something similar it will save your back.
http://www.crazycreek.​com …ne-chairs/longback-chair/ (external link)

Is that taped off area first come-first served? I think I've seen where photogs will tape business cards down. I'm shooting both teams so I'll probably just be on one side of the court the whole night.

And I'll have to pick up one of those. I shoot a lot of basketball, but only at high schools until this week. And high school gyms have a conveniently placed wall behind the baseline to lean against...colleges obviously do not so I'll have to get one of those.

Equipment: Canon 7D — Canon 20D — Canon EOS 1000D/Rebel XS — Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L — Canon EF 85mm F1.8 — Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 IS USM — Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 III USM — Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash — Manfrotto Magic Arms — Misc. gear for remote camera.

malibubts
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2011 20:02 |  #4

kyleo92 wrote in post #13395358 (external link)
Is that taped off area first come-first served?

It depends. Last year every game I went to for OSU there was a sheet in the media room with your designated spot. That hasn't been the case this year. So it really depends on the school.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

kyleo92
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 13, 2011 21:19 |  #5

malibubts wrote in post #13395454 (external link)
It depends. Last year every game I went to for OSU there was a sheet in the media room with your designated spot. That hasn't been the case this year. So it really depends on the school.

I don't think there is too much media there for Iowa at all...but I would imagine assigned seating is probably mostly done during conference games? I'm assuming what I've learned in other things is that conference games have more media? I know they generally just televise conference games...

Any one here every shoot at Carver in IA City? Really curious about that overhead camera platform...will just have to see when I get there to shoot I guess.

kyleo92
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 18, 2011 17:38 |  #6

I got to say, was very different compared to other professional events (knowing that college isn't technically pro, but still). But, I cover NASCAR/IndyCar events which do bring more danger when shooting so they do require photo/safety meetings. There are also more things that go on in a day. So, seemed weird where you just show up, flash your credential to a security card and off you go.

And I'm def. not in basketball shape. My back was worn out and my feet were asleep. Yikes. That chair is an investment I'm about to make I think. I don't really need it for highschool, because my gyms have a built in back support (a.k.a. padded wall) where I sit. But if I will have this before shooting another college game, guarantee it!

Was fun though. I had some envy going on...wish I could shoot 1/640, f3.5 iso1600 without strobes in a gym. WOW...consistent and even light...was fun not to have to battle the very extremely high iso to fight for as high of a shutter speed as possible in a dark dungeon. Maybe we can get another stimulus package that I can use to get some strobes! :D (You listening Washington...don't have to give one to everybody...just me)

sponsored links

1,737 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time shooting NCAA basketball
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.