Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 10:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

School Paper and Copyright...Again

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2011 11:51 |  #76

A little update here guys. I got a call back this morning from the firm. The attorney said the firm would be glad to represent me and they would do so 'Pro Bono'. He said they looked over a few cases and they seemed pretty clear cut in my rights at owning the images. I told him about the response that I got from the adviser and forwarded him that response and the copyright policy for him to take a look at. He told me they were going to look those over and at a few other cases and let me know what they'd like me to do in a few days. I asked him what he thought of their response and he was also of the opinion they realized they screwed up and didn't have much if any legal grounds. He told me then the worst that can really happen is that I will have to go in front of a university board to agree on rights, but said even that was a long shot. He said in the meantime don't reply to the email with their lawyers response and if the adviser hassles me direct him to speak with the attorney. So That's what's going on for the lawyer side.

EMS: Great line that gave me a good laugh!

Flying: I am learning those things and broadening my skills, but I feel as if this step is too far. Especially since I wasn't told until after I started shooting for them. I put my own time, effort and money into this endeavor knowing it's a school publication and I'm not being paid and being completely satisfied with that situation. I like that my skills are being challenged and I'm learning the field of Photo J while building a portfolio. And if you look throughout the thread I'm trying to handle this in the best manner to continue this relationship that I have with The Lantern without being taken advantage of, which is what I feel is happening to me with the rights grab they are trying to push.

Spellman: Pretty much right on what I see is going on here.

Several Posters: While I agree that it would be a stretch, I'm just going to play it safe and not make any changes to the way I'm posting on my site.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

sponsored links
TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 08, 2011 12:03 |  #77

malibubts wrote in post #13370932 (external link)
A little update here guys.

Sounds great! Keep us updated :).

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 08, 2011 12:04 as a reply to  @ malibubts's post |  #78
bannedPermanent ban

If they're willing to represent you pro-bono, I don't see where there's a real downside.

I'd follow the advice of the attorneys at this point.

And be sure to ask them about the whiskey, free steak, hookers and blow...

;)

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 08, 2011 12:10 |  #79

BreitlingFan wrote in post #13370990 (external link)
And be sure to ask them about the whiskey, free steak, hookers and blow...

;)

Haha I know, I'll tell the Lantern I 'consider' that my payment. ;)

But yeah definitely some good updates here. I'll keep you guys posted of anything else new that comes up.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 08, 2011 12:14 |  #80

This thread got a bit shorter, and a lot more polite at the same time…

Let's try to keep it that way, okay? ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 08, 2011 19:16 |  #81

emsjeep wrote in post #13368990 (external link)
May the bridges you burn light the pathway to a great career. :D

bw!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 09, 2011 19:54 as a reply to  @ S.Horton's post |  #82

OK... Retired lawyer here...

2 Things....

1. It can ONLY be "work for hire" if you agree to it in writing.....

2. ANY TIME you transfer copyright, if MUST BE IN WRITING....

When I say in writing, I mean an agreement signed by you.... Not something they say. I don't care what the LANTERN says, they are simply wrong. You need to register your copyrights and take it from there.

I'm sure your lawyer will tell you the same thing..

Best wishes

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 10, 2011 15:44 as a reply to  @ post 13370481 |  #83

As a reformed journalist who deals with copyright issues regularly (and a wife who's dealt with the local paper trying to make a rights grab of her professional images) I have to agree with those above who warn you off of including the "permission" disclaimer watermark on your displayed work. Such a statement explicitly implies the validity of the Lantern's copyright grab policy, and that you willingly subject yourself and your work to it. Yes, you may be able to extricate yourself if it becomes a legal issue, but why in the world would you put yourself behind the 8 ball to start with? That particular watermark is a very, very bad idea.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,746 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 10, 2011 17:12 as a reply to  @ jblaschke's post |  #84

explicitly implies

:cool:
heh.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2011 18:02 |  #85

Alright. Got a call back from the attorney today. He had a few more questions he wanted to ask me about the situation to get a little bit better of an idea of what was going on here. He also talked over a couple possible routes we can take here and wanted me to think for a few days how I wanted to pursue it. He had me forward the contact information of my adviser to him and on Monday he plans to call him and have a talk with them. Essentially asking them if they have a signed agreement from me, what their legal grounds are for the policy and some other questions like that. After he does this he'll give me a call and figure out what the best route to take is after that. So nothing major, but definitely a little progress has been made.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 12, 2011 07:07 |  #86

Sounds good to me.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 12, 2011 09:30 |  #87

Some people think what they are doing is right and well founded until they have an attorney call them and they wet their pants. ;)

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 12, 2011 20:54 as a reply to  @ HappySnapper90's post |  #88

HappySnapper.... True words of wisdom.......

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

BLD_007
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 13, 2011 00:25 as a reply to  @ post 13370481 |  #89

IMAGE: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4wp3veCHg1qa6ql2o1_500.gif

Keep us updated!

Glass: 8-15 f/4.0L | 16-35 f/2.8LmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 300 f/2.8LmkII
Bodies: Canon 1d X : Canon 1d mkIV : Canon 50d

malibubts
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 13, 2011 20:31 |  #90

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #13389745 (external link)
Some people think what they are doing is right and well founded until they have an attorney call them and they wet their pants. ;)

That's pretty much how I'm thinking the phone call will go. The adviser was putting up the no negotiation, I'm right no matter what front and he's going to get called out.

And nice Futurama clip! Don't worry, you'll be updated just as soon as I hear of more progress.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi

sponsored links

13,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
School Paper and Copyright...Again
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.