Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Nov 2011 (Sunday) 22:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

In for a 7D

mattymx
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Nov 14, 2011 10:29 |  #16

Once in a while my focus will fart or something and search for a brief instant. Yes I have search disabled. The only tall focus issues I ever had was with filters that were less than top of the line. Cheap filters cause more focus issues than the camera itself.

-Matty-
Motion Picture Lighting Tech
Canon 1D Mark III & 7D-
EF 70-200 F2.8 MKII L EF 24-105L
mattymx.com (external link)

sponsored links
Reservoir_Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
148 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 14, 2011 10:59 as a reply to  @ mattymx's post |  #17

I already have the 15-85, bought a few months ago for my still doin fine 20D, is this lens good enough for the 7D?
I have very good sharpness with it on my 20D....

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 14, 2011 11:02 |  #18

Tailgating at the football game. :D

Had to take a break. This old guy was pooped by half time. But a couple of links of Boudin from the concession stand revived me!

Note that I was shooting the 300 on the 7D and not the MK III. I get more reach with that combo. If you look closely at the 300 you will see I have a 1.4x TC mounted on it. That got me in the huddle!

The 7D focuses fast with the 300 and the MK III lets me shoot in pretty close (end zone, cheerleaders) with the 70-200 on it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 14, 2011 11:58 |  #19

CanonCleGuy wrote in post #13397660 (external link)
"Buy it, if there is anything wrong we will replace it for you"!

CanonCleGuy, What a difference replacing a question mark with an exclamation mark can have on the sentence.:D:D:D

Seriously go ahead and buy the thing but make sure you put it through the paces with some knowledge of it before you invest. If it's not what you thought or otherwise bad in some way you'll be able to return it!
It's everything in a camera I wanted ...unfortunately my particular unit wasn't right!

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 14, 2011 12:48 as a reply to  @ NU27D's post |  #20

I have tried so many 7Ds both in-store and used ones. None have focus issues. Either all 20+ 7Ds are perfect or I am just plain lucky. I now own a 7D myself. AF is spot on and does not lose anything against my older 1d2n. Definitely leave my 5D for dead on action shots.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

timberlandlh
450 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 14, 2011 16:34 |  #21

MT Stringer wrote in post #13397797 (external link)
The 7D focuses fast with the 300 and the MK III lets me shoot in pretty close (end zone, cheerleaders) with the 70-200 on it.

I just bought a 7D 2 weeks ago ...coming from a T1i since they came out. I love the 7D.

MT Stringer....didn't happen without photo's as proof. ;)

Canon S100 and Canon 7D, Canon 28-300L 3.5/5.6 IS, Canon 70-200L 2.8 non IS, Canon 10-22 I'll give it a lil "l", Canon 50 1.8, LEE 10X Filter, Benro Travel Angel A-169....REI back pack, hiking boots and a photogenic black labrador

chenga732
465 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 14, 2011 16:37 |  #22

Go get a 7D. From my experience, focus issue was both user and camera error. Just keeping on shooting.

Xsi|24-105mm f4.0|70-200mm f4.0|85mm f.18

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 14, 2011 16:41 |  #23

I have a 15-85 on my 7D and it focuses just fine, pictures ain't too bad either :D

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 14, 2011 17:52 |  #24

timberlandlh wrote in post #13399398 (external link)
I just bought a 7D 2 weeks ago ...coming from a T1i since they came out. I love the 7D.

MT Stringer....didn't happen without photo's as proof. ;)

Beaumont Kelly vs Dallas Bishop Dunne (external link) played Saturday, Nov 12, 2011

Here ya go.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 20:18 |  #25

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #13397614 (external link)
Still hesitating because i KNOW there ARE 7D's with focus problems....

There probably are a few 7D that roll out of the factory with actual AF problems... Just as there probably are some with bad shutters or metering systems that sneak past QC inspection, too.

But the vast majority of "problems" with the 7D are...

1. People who buy it but don't actually need it's features and don't have the experience to use it well...

2. People who don't take the time to read up and learn how to use it.

Very few "problems" track back to the camera itself. Sure, there are bound to be a few faulty cameras. But It's more often the person behind the camera who is at fault. 7D has another layer of complexity in the AF system, lot's of opportunity to set things up wrong and get in trouble... Which people are oh so good at doing and then sometimes blaming on the camera. It takes some time and effort to learn to use the camera well. It's usually best to set up AF as simply as possible and learn to use some of the enhancements a little at a time.

I would ask what you plan to shoot with it... Sure, 7D can shoot most anything, someone will respond. But if someone is planning portraits, weddings, landscape, still life... Generally mire sedate One Shot AF mode things like that... With 7D they're paying roughly $500-600 premium they really don't need to spend, buying features they're unlikely to use very often. If you are in AI Servo shooting action/sports a large percentage of the time... Well, this is the camera's forte and the extra cost might be money well invested to get the results you need. There are other nice features of the 7D, such as an upgraded shutter (rated to 150K clicks, as opposed to 100K on the 50D and 60D)... 100% viewfinder (which adds to the camera's size and weight, it's actually a little heavier than the full frame 5DII)... 8 fps (vs 5 fps on 60D, 6 fps on 50D)... fairly customizable control layout... some additional sealing for weather/dust resistance... Micro Focus adjust feature (which the 50D has, but the 60D doesn't... what was Canon thinking?). It uses the good, newer Lithium batteries - LP-E6 (same as 60D, 5DII) - which are probably good for 35 to 40% more shots than the earlier BP-511A (50D). The active matrix focus screen is a neat feature... but takes a little getting used to... You don't have as much feedback that AF is working, when shooting in AI Servo, so you have to learn to trust yourself and the camera a bit.

7D designers seemed to assume a fairly advanced user. It is Canon's most pro-oriented APS-C camera to date. It's expected that its users will want to give the camera more input and already know their way around a DSLR. Look on the mode dial... No "Running Man" icon (or the "Mountain", or any of the other Basic mode icons) Instead there are three user programmable "C" modes. Even images out of 7D seem to need a little more experienced user... the camera uses a relatively strong anti-alias filter so RAW files need more sharpening than with previous models.

7D is sort of a "1D Mark IV Lite". If you can see yourself using a 1D4... If that camera would be "the ultimate" for your particular type of shooting, but perhaps is just impractical considering it's price, then the 7D is a less expensive, somewhat scaled down option.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 14, 2011 20:22 |  #26

I'm not going to say every 7d focuses perfectly all the time, and there will be duff ones slip past canon QC.

But my 7D is every bit as good as you'd hope it is.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 14, 2011 23:35 |  #27

Reservoir_Dog wrote in post #13395937 (external link)
Hello all,

I want to buy a new 7D, but what about the focus issues, ..

There were focus issues :confused: .. I must have missed that memo ;)

My Gear List  :p

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 15, 2011 01:49 |  #28

I had a 7D and to be honest the camera is a beast. Super fast and positive. It really is a nice camera. for a crop.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

SiriS
109 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 15, 2011 03:29 |  #29

amfoto1 wrote in post #13400283 (external link)
There probably are a few 7D that roll out of the factory with actual AF problems... Just as there probably are some with bad shutters or metering systems that sneak past QC inspection, too.

But the vast majority of "problems" with the 7D are...

1. People who buy it but don't actually need it's features and don't have the experience to use it well...

2. People who don't take the time to read up and learn how to use it.

Very few "problems" track back to the camera itself. Sure, there are bound to be a few faulty cameras. But It's more often the person behind the camera who is at fault. 7D has another layer of complexity in the AF system, lot's of opportunity to set things up wrong and get in trouble... Which people are oh so good at doing and then sometimes blaming on the camera. It takes some time and effort to learn to use the camera well. It's usually best to set up AF as simply as possible and learn to use some of the enhancements a little at a time.

I would ask what you plan to shoot with it... Sure, 7D can shoot most anything, someone will respond. But if someone is planning portraits, weddings, landscape, still life... Generally mire sedate One Shot AF mode things like that... With 7D they're paying roughly $500-600 premium they really don't need to spend, buying features they're unlikely to use very often. If you are in AI Servo shooting action/sports a large percentage of the time... Well, this is the camera's forte and the extra cost might be money well invested to get the results you need. There are other nice features of the 7D, such as an upgraded shutter (rated to 150K clicks, as opposed to 100K on the 50D and 60D)... 100% viewfinder (which adds to the camera's size and weight, it's actually a little heavier than the full frame 5DII)... 8 fps (vs 5 fps on 60D, 6 fps on 50D)... fairly customizable control layout... some additional sealing for weather/dust resistance... Micro Focus adjust feature (which the 50D has, but the 60D doesn't... what was Canon thinking?). It uses the good, newer Lithium batteries - LP-E6 (same as 60D, 5DII) - which are probably good for 35 to 40% more shots than the earlier BP-511A (50D). The active matrix focus screen is a neat feature... but takes a little getting used to... You don't have as much feedback that AF is working, when shooting in AI Servo, so you have to learn to trust yourself and the camera a bit.

7D designers seemed to assume a fairly advanced user. It is Canon's most pro-oriented APS-C camera to date. It's expected that its users will want to give the camera more input and already know their way around a DSLR. Look on the mode dial... No "Running Man" icon (or the "Mountain", or any of the other Basic mode icons) Instead there are three user programmable "C" modes. Even images out of 7D seem to need a little more experienced user... the camera uses a relatively strong anti-alias filter so RAW files need more sharpening than with previous models.

7D is sort of a "1D Mark IV Lite". If you can see yourself using a 1D4... If that camera would be "the ultimate" for your particular type of shooting, but perhaps is just impractical considering it's price, then the 7D is a less expensive, somewhat scaled down option.

Nice post. I'm uber keen on the 7D (from a 550D currently). I'm also one of those who are slightly hesitant due to the supposed AF issues. My take was that between all the noise there is a genuine concern about higher than average AF failure.

I'm thinking though that if that was indeed the case then surely Canon would have rectified the problem by now, the 7D has been out for what, two years?

Now to convince myself that WANT = NEED. :grin:

Canon 550D | 15 - 85 IS | 70 - 300 IS| 35 f/2 | 50 f/1.4 | 430EX II | Canon S95
FLICKR (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 15, 2011 08:37 as a reply to  @ SiriS's post |  #30

Get it with a warranty and if it turns out to be an issue, get it fixed. The 7D is a world apart in the hands from your 550D. I have both. If I had to guess, the 7D doesn't have any more focus issues than any other camera, but it does have a user base with with more fauxtographers than any other. My guess is that most Rebel users don't really have the high expectation that a 7D user has and most 5D and higher users know their AF really well (and have less complicated AF systems too). The AF system on the 7D is the most complicated AF system on the market yet is in the price range of P&S graduates. I think this unique combination leads to a greater number of reported issues.

I did have the same concerns though. I ended up buying on the CLP for $1059. The nice thing about a refurb is that it has been manually checked out by a human. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

3,333 views & 0 likes for this thread
In for a 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.