Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you light your events? ETTL or manual? How many lights?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2011 14:01 |  #16

scorpio_e wrote in post #13398458 (external link)
^ I use something similar.Unfortunatley the 580 EX does not have the PC synch. SOoooo I need to change triggers or upgrade to the 580EXII or have the 580 EX modded.

Are you trying to use your 580EX OCF? I don't use the PC Sync port on the 580EXII that's mounted on my camera...obviously.

sponsored links
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 15:01 |  #17

nicksan wrote in post #13398589 (external link)
Are you trying to use your 580EX OCF? I don't use the PC Sync port on the 580EXII that's mounted on my camera...obviously.

Right now I have an Alien Bee.. Sunpak 120 J and an old 540 EX on lightstands and fire with the AB triggers.

When it comes to the cake cutting I normally put the 580 back on the hotshoe and bounce.

What I wanted to do is use the 580EX as a bit of fill in addition to triggering all of the other
flashes on lightstands.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2011 15:04 |  #18

scorpio_e wrote in post #13398912 (external link)
Right now I have an Alien Bee.. Sunpak 120 J and an old 540 EX on lightstands and fire with the AB triggers.

When it comes to the cake cutting I normally put the 580 back on the hotshoe and bounce.

What I wanted to do is use the 580EX as a bit of fill in addition to triggering all of the other
flashes on lightstands.

Then you wouldn't need a PC Sync port on the 580EX. (assuming you have it mounted on the camera) I don't use the port on mine since I have it mounted on the hot shoe. I have a CST trigger velcroed on the 580EXII with a pc sync cable connecting the the 5D2. I use a Demb Flip-it on the 580EXII as well.

Makes sense?

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 14, 2011 15:23 |  #19

scorpio_e wrote in post #13398912 (external link)

flashes on lightstands.

are you using a 60D? because i have found that they don't have pc port!

i sometimes do just what nick is saying though, connecting to the pc port on the camera itself, not to the flash in the hotshoe.
this actually gives a little more flexibility because i can quickly turn off the hot shoe flash if i want to and my triggers will still fire.

edit:
that said, i sometimes prefer to hook the transmitter up to the pc port on the flash because then the cord itself is not as much in my way.
that, and i hate the dang rubber cover sticking out of the camera when i have something plugged into the pc port! can't bring myself to cut them off either..

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 16:15 |  #20

bigarchi wrote in post #13399044 (external link)
are you using a 60D? because i have found that they don't have pc port!

i sometimes do just what nick is saying though, connecting to the pc port on the camera itself, not to the flash in the hotshoe.
this actually gives a little more flexibility because i can quickly turn off the hot shoe flash if i want to and my triggers will still fire.

edit:
that said, i sometimes prefer to hook the transmitter up to the pc port on the flash because then the cord itself is not as much in my way.
that, and i hate the dang rubber cover sticking out of the camera when i have something plugged into the pc port! can't bring myself to cut them off either..

I am using a 7D.. So I should be good with the PC port :)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 16:18 |  #21

nicksan wrote in post #13398937 (external link)
Then you wouldn't need a PC Sync port on the 580EX. (assuming you have it mounted on the camera) I don't use the port on mine since I have it mounted on the hot shoe. I have a CST trigger velcroed on the 580EXII with a pc sync cable connecting the the 5D2. I use a Demb Flip-it on the 580EXII as well.

Makes sense?

So the 580 EXII is on your hotshoe.. and the CST velcroed to it. The cable from the CST connects to the PC port in the camera.

I never really noticed a port on the CST where I could even attach the cable too.

We are talking about the CST below correct?

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/popups/cst/cst_fron​t_1010.php (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2011 16:27 |  #22

scorpio_e wrote in post #13399328 (external link)
So the 580 EXII is on your hotshoe.. and the CST velcroed to it. The cable from the CST connects to the PC port in the camera.

I never really noticed a port on the CST where I could even attach the cable too.

We are talking about the CST below correct?

http://www.paulcbuff.c​om/popups/cst/cst_fron​t_1010.php (external link)

Yes, that's it. It has a tiny port on the side, like a mini headphone jack. The CST comes with the cable to connect it to a standard PC Sync port. So use that cable to connect the CST to the camera. That's how you can trigger the other flashes if you have the 580EX mounted on the camera.

Here it is with the supplied cable.
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om …st/cst_frontcor​d_1010.php (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 14, 2011 16:41 |  #23

nicksan wrote in post #13399377 (external link)
Yes, that's it. It has a tiny port on the side, like a mini headphone jack. The CST comes with the cable to connect it to a standard PC Sync port. So use that cable to connect the CST to the camera. That's how you can trigger the other flashes if you have the 580EX mounted on the camera.

Here it is with the supplied cable.
http://www.paulcbuff.c​om …st/cst_frontcor​d_1010.php (external link)

Nick I owe you lunch... :)

I never would have figured that out !!!! I'll have to go digging for that cable. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!

Thanks for your help !!!!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 14, 2011 17:30 |  #24

No problem! :lol:

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 15, 2011 00:50 |  #25

scorpio_e wrote in post #13398307 (external link)
What triggers are you using?

Nick described my configuration to the T, seems we have very similar setups :)

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Equipment/Feedback

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 15, 2011 06:41 |  #26

Excellent and thanks !!!

NewHorizonPhoto
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 21, 2011 17:57 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #27

I am just beginning to explore the wonders of OCF, but so far I love it. Up till now I have been lighting up receptions using the following:

-- Hot-shoe mounted 430exII flash in ETTL mode, typically bounced off a ceiling.
-- One 430exII OCF on a stand pointed directly at the dance floor in manual mode. Power is usually set between 1/16th and 1/32nd.

I use pocket wizards to control the flashes. My overall goal is NOT to overpower the ambient light, but to compliment it (thus reducing ISO), all the while adding some dimensionality to the light. I plan on incorporating OCF even more during my next wedding coverage. For the most part I shoot either directly into the OCF or at a 90 degree angle from the light (and everywhere inbetween) I avoid shooting in-line with the flash as it usually over exposes, and also defeats the purpose of adding dimensionality/rim lighting.

A few examples:

In this shot the OCF helped boost ambient light a bit, and added some nice rim light to the couple. (The OCF is on the far side of the room to the grooms back pointed almost directly at me):

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Here is another one from the same venue. The OCF helped create the perfect amount of shadows to show off the detail in the cake top:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Lastly, Melissa Jill has created an awesome series directed at helping other photographers master flash techniques. I have learned much of what I know about flash from reading these articles. Scroll down to the Aug 25th post to see the links to all 12 articles.http://melissajill.com​/blog.cfm?m=8&y=2011 (external link)

frugivore
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 25, 2011 17:54 |  #28

That's great work Drew! I had to go through quite a few pages on Melissa's site to find that post, but she's got some great stuff for the student photographer.

I got some useful information from everyone here and have a good idea about what's required. I just bought some gear and wanted some input on my setup and whether I've missed anything. I din't want to start a new thread as I just need a quick check from someone. Here's what I have:

Camera 1: Canon 40D
Lens 1a: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Lens 1b: Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Flash: YN-560 in hotshoe with Diffuser-reflector (external link) attached
Monolights: CST connected with PC cord triggering Einsteins

Camera 2: Canon 40D gripped
Lens 2a: Canon 100mm f/2
Monolights: CC mounted on the hotshoe triggering Einsteins

I intend to use camera 1 in landscape orientation, with the zoom for the wider shots and the prime for environmental portraits. Camera 2 would be used in portrait orientation, with the 100mm for tight portraits and candid shots. I couldn't find a good fast telephoto zoom for crop bodies, so I figure I'd use this prime with added light so I could shoot at shorter exposure times.

Thoughs?

sponsored links

6,074 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you light your events? ETTL or manual? How many lights?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.