Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Craigslist Scam? $499.00 Canon 5D

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 14, 2011 16:19 |  #1

I responded to an Indianapolis, Indiana Craigslist ad for a Canon 5D for $499.00. Here's the reply I got. Since when did Apple cover Canon's warrenty? No, they didn't send a photo.
I think I will pass on this one and I think everyone else should too.

"Thanks for your inquiry.I'm selling off all the items in my husband's warehouse cos he just passed away and am moving out of the country. I'm attaching an actual picture in this email so you can confirm I have for sale a BRAND NEW (NEVER used) Canon EOS 5d Mark II.This is an American Market Camera! It is a 'complete' package with all the booklets, cables, CD and all accessories - including the Apple USA warranty papers. I figured I could have it shipped and delivered within 24 hours but can meet in person if you are located or have someone located in LA. Sandy"

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2011 16:26 |  #2

Are you local? Then meet up. If I could see it in person at a public place then Id have no problem buying it. Deals like this do happen, just be careful. Also consider that it might be stolen. Never can tell with these things.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Hypnotizedd
252 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 14, 2011 16:29 |  #3

its a scam.

Hoosier ­ Writer
THREAD ­ STARTER
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 14, 2011 16:45 as a reply to  @ Hypnotizedd's post |  #4

No, this ad was posted in Indiana not LA. That would be about a 2,000 mile drive for me.
I also know a fellow that went to sell a camera in Ohio to someone that responded to his Cragislist ad. (He lives close to the border.) They asked him to go to a back apartment. He did. They pulled guns, so did he. One got shot, he didn't. The wounded bad guy got caught and went to jail. He now never goes to a private location when dealing with buyers or sellers. It is always a public location like Starbucks or McDonalds.

k2000
31 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 14, 2011 17:04 |  #5

I am sure it is a scam because I got the same email when i asked a question about 7D camera at $600 on Craiglist in my area

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 14, 2011 17:07 |  #6

Save yourself the trouble of getting ripped off by "Sandy" and donate the money you'd have wasted on this to POTN.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,534 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 14, 2011 18:46 |  #7

Scam-a-lam-a-ding-dong!

This loser can't even copy and paste correctly! I'll bet that someone out there is wondering why Canon is offering an extended warranty on the iPad the scammer is trying to sell!

If it's too good to be true........

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 14, 2011 18:53 |  #8

Of course it's a scam!

My Gear List

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 14, 2011 19:52 |  #9

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #13399334 (external link)
I responded to an Indianapolis, Indiana Craigslist ad for a Canon 5D for $499.00. Here's the reply I got. Since when did Apple cover Canon's warrenty? No, they didn't send a photo.
I think I will pass on this one and I think everyone else should too.

"Thanks for your inquiry.I'm selling off all the items in my husband's warehouse cos he just passed away and am moving out of the country. I'm attaching an actual picture in this email so you can confirm I have for sale a BRAND NEW (NEVER used) Canon EOS 5d Mark II.This is an American Market Camera! It is a 'complete' package with all the booklets, cables, CD and all accessories - including the Apple USA warranty papers. I figured I could have it shipped and delivered within 24 hours but can meet in person if you are located or have someone located in LA. Sandy"

You have to even ask...??????

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2011 22:32 |  #10

scamorama

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 14, 2011 22:50 |  #11

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #13399440 (external link)
... They pulled guns, so did he. One got shot, he didn't. ...

Yeah, never go to a camera buy unarmed.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 14, 2011 22:57 |  #12

If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is. I usually go with a friend whether I'm selling or buying and I always meet in a public area. There were a couple of times where I met them at their house but outside. It all depends on how the person comes through in their email as well. If you'll know if its right by getting a good vibe.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter

MeNiS
706 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 15, 2011 00:09 |  #13

just picked up the camera from sandy at a local starbucks... very nice old lady in her 80's. thanks for the steal!

she has a whole bunch of other electronics in the trunk of her car....including some ipads and macbooks. i didnt have enough $ on hand, so i am going to meet her again tomorrow night. i'm about to come up like a bandit!

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 15, 2011 01:07 |  #14

Subscribing to this thread for when it turns into "the cops traced it back to her grandson who had convinced her that they were getting a fair price on all of this stolen merchandise, and now they've confiscated all of my purchases as evidence".

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 15, 2011 11:11 |  #15

griptape wrote in post #13401372 (external link)
Subscribing to this thread for when it turns into "the cops traced it back to her grandson who had convinced her that they were getting a fair price on all of this stolen merchandise, and now they've confiscated all of my purchases as evidence".

So, you took Menis seriously?

My Gear

sponsored links

1,416 views & 0 likes for this thread
Craigslist Scam? $499.00 Canon 5D
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.