Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 16:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it worth buying L series lenses for a Canon Rebel T2i?

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 15, 2011 18:31 |  #16

Fitness Freak wrote in post #13404765 (external link)
;-)a Okay, so I'm still a little unclear here. I get the whole don't buy cheap glass but how do I know if I'm getting quality lenses if I don't buy L-series lenses? :-D

You hang out here at POTN in the EF and EF-S lenses forum and ask questions.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,190 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 15, 2011 18:33 |  #17

Decide what focal length you want, or what you want to shoot, then do some research. You'll find lots of info here on the best lens for a particular job. After you narrow it down, look at the lens sample threads and perhaps one of the lens review sites. By the time you do that, you'll understand the options available to you, their strengths and their price points.

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 15, 2011 18:34 |  #18

Alright. Thanks!

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 15, 2011 18:35 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Check out the threads for image examples, a general rule of thumb is if they're AF and don't have USM, they're cheap quality, and if they have a variable aperture, they're cheap quality. But then again, the 50 1.8 is very good image quality wise for the price (just not build quality) so it's a case by case thing.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 15, 2011 18:38 |  #20

Canon really has just two types of lenses (officially) - L series and everything else. But realistically there are a few unofficially categories:

L - Series

Very nice primes (28/1.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2 etc). These are not L series but as a group they are fast and sharp.

Mid-level zooms - Not as fast as the f/2.8 group, but lenses like the 28-105 1:3.5-4.5 or the EF-S 15-85 are very good performers. Some of these are really good for the price.

Cheap zooms - the slow old kit lenses.

EF-S. These as a group are interesting as many of these lenses are newer and optically pretty good (EF-S 15-85 and EF-S 55-250 come to mind). Also, since no EF-S is L series, some very nice lenses like the EF-S 17-55/2.8 are in this set.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 15, 2011 18:41 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Keep in mind EF-S lenses are not compatible with non 1.6 sensors.

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 15, 2011 18:43 |  #22

Whats yer budget? :)

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 15, 2011 19:28 as a reply to  @ Vixen89's post |  #23

So if you feel the 55-250 isn't giving you enough range, you're going to need to step up to the 300mm or higher lenses and those can get quite expensive. I have a T2i and a 7D and from an image quality perspective they are nearly identical. Good glass makes a huge difference. But as someone else said here, L glass isn't necessarily the best way to go all the time. The L line includes weather sealing and such which is great but there are some great competitive lenses out there are well that lack such weather sealing, get close if not better in some cases in image quality and cost a lot less.

With that said, here's what I ended up with:
Sigma 17-70 f2.8 macro. While not a "true macro" it does allow me to focus down to about 2-3 inches. At 17mm this can give some really neat perspective that I can't get with many other lenses. Being able to go up to 70mm instead of being capped at 55 allows me to change lenses less frequently. The lens is very sharp. This lens competes with the Canon 15-85. I have both. The Sigma It lacks full time manual focus. If you want to manual focus you have to flip the switch. But the trade-off is you get to focus at a much closer distance. I may sell the Canon at some point. Between the two I generally prefer the Sigma but my daughter uses the Canon a lot on her camera. You can see the lens thread here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=790964

Canon 55-250. I have considered the upgrade to an L many times but have yet to pull the trigger. I shot some pics at marching band this season and a friend who has a 7D as well had his 70-200 f2.8L. While his lens IS sharper, he also had to crop more to get the same shots I did. In the end, many of my shots were actually cleaner. I will probably skip that lens and if i go with something long in the future I'll probably step up to a 300mm or more. Or I may pick up the Tamron 70-200 which from an IQ standpoint is also very well regarded. Sure, my friend with his 70-200L can work in lower light or with lower ISOs and can get down to f2.8 and get some better bokeh, but .....

Canon 50mm f1.8 - Great little lens. Perhaps the best value in all lenses. Sharp as hell and fast too. Best of all, it can be had for $100.Bokeh is nice. 50mm is just a bit long though sometimes so I picked up:

Sigma 30mm f1.4. This one is more expensive but I think it outperforms the Canon 35L IF you get a good calibrated copy. And it's 1/3 the cost.

Sigma 10-20. This is my choice in wide. It's a very good lens. That's about all I can say about it.

So that's my setup and if I had a full frame I would use many of these same lenses as long as they fit. The IQ of the lenses is often as good as the L lenses as they use many of the same types of glass in them and your camera is capable of taking advantage of the sharpest lenses available.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

rockdog63
204 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 15, 2011 20:15 |  #24

If you want to compare different lenses on a t2i here are 3 that I used for a daytime game.
I borrowed the 300 L. The T2i works fine, wish I had more fps but not ready to spend $1,000 more for it.
My long term plan is 3 more lens then a new body and the t2i will be my 2nd body.
For the night games I can only use the 85mm.
Thinking about the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 at $799

1. 300mm f4 L 1/2000 f4 ISO 400
2. 55-250 kit 1/2000 f6.3 ISO 1000
3. 83mm 1.8 1/2000 f2.2 ISO 100
1)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6255303955_84b7f7e8bd_z.jpg
2)
IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6112/6255855015_b0e3a64c1e_z.jpg
3)
IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6152/6255657881_58ba33ebfc_z.jpg

60D |6D|18-55mm 3.5-5.6|55-250mm 4-5.6|85mm 1.8 USM|50mm 1.8 II| 600EX-RT SPEEDLITE |Quantaray 500mm lens f/8+2X converter |Σ 70-200mm F2.8 II APO DG MACRO|Σ 28-70mm F2.8 |on order 7D Mark II Flickr (external link)~Facebook Football (external link)~Facebook Non Football (external link)

Fitness ­ Freak
THREAD ­ STARTER
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 15, 2011 21:48 |  #25

You guys are awesome! :-D

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 16, 2011 04:36 |  #26

It all depends on what you want to take pictures of and what you can afford. I started off with a t2i last christmas and loved it. Mine came with a kit lens 18-55 and I got a 300 mkiii for christmas as well. The IQ from the 300 wasn't good at all and I sold it after a couple of months. I was left some money in a will and decided to use it to get some better kit. I got a 100 2.8L macro and a 100-400 L and the IQ was amazing.
It was the best thing I did regarding photography and that got me thinking. I got a 7D for the faster AF and FPS and still used the same L lenses on it, then I decided I wanted to try FF so I gave my wife my t2i and a couple of EF-S lenses and got a 5D MkII. The IQ of that has really blown me away and the 24-105 L lens that came with it is brilliant.
I'd certainly recommend getting L lenses if you're budget allows, but there is some excellent quality EF and EF-S lenses that all fit on a crop body, but if you're planning on going full frame look out for the faster EF lenses for quality.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

Timsxsi
159 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2011 08:02 |  #27

Try renting the lenses you want before you buy them.Then you can decide for yourself if it is worth it.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2011 08:20 |  #28

Fitness Freak wrote in post #13404765 (external link)
Sorry again, I got trigger happy with my "i's". I meant Canon 5D II. Man, you guys don't miss anything. ;-)a Okay, so I'm still a little unclear here. I get the whole don't buy cheap glass but how do I know if I'm getting quality lenses if I don't buy L-series lenses? Do I just stay away from the non-Canon brands? I know that some of the companies that produce lenses for multiple brands make some decent lenses but they are not usually the quality of Canons-or so I've read over and over. Also, how do I know which lenses are really good quality for crop-sensor cameras? Just buy the EF and EF-S lenses? I really appreciate all you guys' advice and suggestions. :-D

This is the lens sample archive:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdis​play.php?f=107

Whoever told you that it is best to stick with Canon lenses is wrong. Many pros shoot with Tamron, Sigma and other lenses so they should be good enough for you as well. However, you may want to stick with some general rules:

1.) Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Zeiss all make good lenses. Stick with them.
2.) Canon, Sigma and Tamron all have their "high quality" lines of lenses. With Canon it is L, Sigma it is EX, Tamron it is SP. Anything from any of those lines will generally be a good lens. However, none of these include weather sealing which is what really sets Canon L lenses apart.
3.) Buy lenses that include "aspherical elements" and/or "low dispersion glass". These are indicated on the lenses from each brand using their own terms but they all have names for them. When you aren't sure what the letters mean in a lens name, the manufacturers websites have charts that spell out what they all mean.
4.) Try to buy lenses that include a full time manual focus. these are generally the better lenses. For canon, that means USM, others have their own names for it like HSM, FTM.

A few more notes:

Sigma and Tamron lenses generally come with a lens hood. Sigma EX lenses come with a nice case as well. (not sure about tamron). Canon lenses you get a lens in a cardboard box with no hood unless you buy L lenses.

All manufacturers make the occasional lens that leaves the factory out of adjustment. A few particular Sigma lenses seem to be more prone to this than the average in the industry. This doesn't mean they are bad lenses. It just means that you should buy it from some place that will make it easy to return or exchange.

Canon lenses come with a 12 month warranty - even the "L" lenses. Sigma is 36 months for regular and 48 for EX lenses. Tamron SP lenses have up to a 6 year warranty. I'm not sure about the others. Those warranty periods should tell you a little about how these products perform over time.

When in doubt, buy a lens from a place like Adorama.com that makes it super easy to return and/or exchange lenses. There you can buy a lens, check it out for up to 30 days and if you just don't like it, as long as it is in new condition, you can send it back and either get a full refund or exchange. If you contact the sales department and tell them you want to return it they will even send you a shipping label.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 16, 2011 08:20 |  #29

Shadow on the Door wrote in post #13404797 (external link)
Check out the threads for image examples, a general rule of thumb is if they're AF and don't have USM, they're cheap quality, and if they have a variable aperture, they're cheap quality. But then again, the 50 1.8 is very good image quality wise for the price (just not build quality) so it's a case by case thing.

:rolleyes:

Christian.

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 16, 2011 08:22 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I said general rule, sure there are some L's that have it and don't suck, but most of the time the cheaper lenses do have variable apertures, and that can get fairly annoying depending on the type of work you do. I'm not going to get into how much I hate the 28-300L again, but different things for different people I suppose.

sponsored links

31,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it worth buying L series lenses for a Canon Rebel T2i?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.