Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for wedding photographer - Scotland/UK

Caffrey123
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2011 17:26 |  #1

Hello all!

Could anyone recommend a photographer in the UK that has a similar style to the photographers below?

http://www.bobbyearle.​com/ (external link) - I believe Bobby Earle is on this forum. I love your work!!

http://jonaspeterson.c​om/ (external link)

http://portfolio.geneo​h.com/ (external link)

Now, I have considered paying for a photographer to fly to Scotland. However, I currently live in California and if I didn't have to fly myself and my husband (we are actually already married...long story!) back to Scotland I would have booked one of them in an instant! Unfortunately it is not in my budget unless I postpone for another couple of years (Yes, I have considered this for the right photographer and it is still an option if I don't find someone whose work I love equally)

I love Jeff Ascough's work, it is really tremendous. However, I am looking for something more in line with the theme of my wedding. Eclectic, vintage and colourful.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :)

sponsored links
bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 15, 2011 19:14 |  #2

Well... I'm honored that I'm in that list! Where in California are you???

When is your wedding and what's your general budget for photography? It'll help us narrow down some good recommendations :D

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 15, 2011 21:58 |  #3

Hello! Great of you to reply! Thank you.

I am in Santa Barbara county. I love it here! I would have planned to have my wedding here but we decided there would be less people to fly to Scotland than there would be to the US so it made sense. I think a reasonable budget would be £5000 - £6000 (Around $8000-$9500) max - that would also have to include airfare and expenses where applicable. We are thinking of having the wedding during the summer of 2014 but the problem is with my husband being in the USAF we never know when he will be deployed or we will be moving. I don't want to plan a wedding for him then to get deployed...so it may have to be last minute which makes it super difficult because I want a fabulous photographer!

I would like to at least start off with some names in the UK so I can see what my more local options are before I make a decision. :)

Robert16
I feel like such a square
2,178 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 16, 2011 06:39 |  #4

http://www.google.co.u​k …UVZye0WgSCoWOXo​_eYvOWgsZw (external link)
These guys photographed my wedding. Ask for Dominic. Good people, quality leather bound album.

Robert.

gear

Sylvester ­ XxX
Goldmember
3,508 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 16, 2011 07:23 |  #5

http://brettharknessph​otography.com/wedding/ (external link)

| My Gear | My Site (external link) | My Blog (external link) | My Facebook (external link) |My G+ (external link) |
| My 500px (external link) |My Tumblr (external link) | My Flickr (external link) |

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 16, 2011 13:06 |  #6

Caffrey123 wrote in post #13405699 (external link)
Hello! Great of you to reply! Thank you.

I am in Santa Barbara county. I love it here! I would have planned to have my wedding here but we decided there would be less people to fly to Scotland than there would be to the US so it made sense. I think a reasonable budget would be £5000 - £6000 (Around $8000-$9500) max - that would also have to include airfare and expenses where applicable. We are thinking of having the wedding during the summer of 2014 but the problem is with my husband being in the USAF we never know when he will be deployed or we will be moving. I don't want to plan a wedding for him then to get deployed...so it may have to be last minute which makes it super difficult because I want a fabulous photographer!

I would like to at least start off with some names in the UK so I can see what my more local options are before I make a decision. :)

One thing, one thing... Wedding Photography is a lot cheaper here in the UK. I'm £1200 (See my stuff below) even the top top top guys are around 4k per wedding and that's because you pay for the name half the time!

Scotland is beautiful though, truly a beautiful place for Wedding Photography so finding the shots you want will be easy.

Chris Giles Photography

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2011 14:34 |  #7

I have a passport ;)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2011 16:55 |  #8

chrismallet wrote in post #13408877 (external link)
I have a passport ;)

How about a work visa for Scottland?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2011 17:00 |  #9

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13409552 (external link)
How about a work visa for Scottland?

I've worked all over the world and I've never had a work visa. Border agents are powerless against my devilish charm. :cool:

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 16, 2011 17:19 |  #10

Yep lots of photographers to choose from in the UK. Just have a good look around.

http://www.mgiddings.c​om (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2011 17:19 |  #11

chrismallet wrote in post #13409571 (external link)
I've worked all over the world and I've never had a work visa. Border agents are powerless against my devilish charm. :cool:

Im going to edit what i just recently posted. I just read on DWF about Canada refusing re-entry after the photographer traveled around the world with their gear. If you are working in another country, without a visa, it is illegal, and you may face legal repercussions because of it.

Bryan

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2011 17:31 |  #12

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13409658 (external link)
Im going to edit what i just recently posted. I just read on DWF about Canada refusing re-entry after the photographer traveled around the world with their gear. If you are working in another country, without a visa, it is illegal, and you may face legal repercussions because of it.

It's also illegal to speed and murder, people still do those things. It's all depends how much you care about being caught. Be smart about it and you'll probably be fine.

13 different countries spanned over 20 different visits, never been hassled.

*knocks on wood*

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 16, 2011 17:44 |  #13

Robert16 wrote in post #13406756 (external link)
http://www.google.co.u​k …UVZye0WgSCoWOXo​_eYvOWgsZw (external link)
These guys photographed my wedding. Ask for Dominic. Good people, quality leather bound album.

Great! Thank you for the link. I am interested in their documentary package. Great price too including 3 albums and a large fine art print.

Gel wrote in post #13408455 (external link)
One thing, one thing... Wedding Photography is a lot cheaper here in the UK. I'm £1200 (See my stuff below) even the top top top guys are around 4k per wedding and that's because you pay for the name half the time!

Scotland is beautiful though, truly a beautiful place for Wedding Photography so finding the shots you want will be easy.

I noticed this after more research. Hopefully I can find a gem easily within my price range then. I am from the very north of the Highlands so I also have to keep in mind travelling and accommodation expenses.

One great thing if I were to hire from overseas is that the photographer could stay in my parents house where I will be having the wedding reception in the walled garden (possibly the whole wedding) http://www.pennylandho​use.co.uk/ (external link) Hopefully this would cut my costs a little unless they wanted to stay elsewhere.

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13409658 (external link)

Interesting, I have never thought about that before...makes sense of course as they are working. How do "destination" photographers manage it? Do they get Visas for each country? I doubt it! If all they are doing in the foreign country is "taking pictures" ;)...all the editing/finance issues/printing are completed at home then surely that is legal?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2011 18:21 |  #14

chrismallet wrote in post #13409707 (external link)
It's also illegal to speed and murder, people still do those things. It's all depends how much you care about being caught. Be smart about it and you'll probably be fine.

13 different countries spanned over 20 different visits, never been hassled.

*knocks on wood*

So you are condoning murder as long as you dont get caught? I am not saying you cannot (and even if I did, I doubt you would take my advice). Illegal is illegal, and just be aware of the possible consequences.

Bryan

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 16, 2011 18:28 |  #15

Oh my! Back on topic please!! :P

sponsored links

4,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for wedding photographer - Scotland/UK
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.