Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma Lens from China on Ebay

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 11:36 |  #16

gabebalazs wrote in post #13407738 (external link)
Also keep in mind that if you need to ship it back to Hong Kong, the insurance amount cannot be more than the declared value.
So if the seller should ask you to keep the declared value low (for evading tax), USPS will not allow you to insure it for the real value of your lens, only for the amount that you declare on the customs form.

This is also very true

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

sponsored links
runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2011 11:36 |  #17

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13407961 (external link)
The same reason Canon will not warranty Grey market items. Look at Adorama's lenses you can buy USA warranty items that can be serviced by Canon or buy a Grey market lens for cheaper and you have to ship it to Adorama for service.

I didn't realize that your statement was only in reference to warranty work. I interpreted it to mean that you believed that Sigma wouldn't work on it after the one-year seller's warranty because it's "grey market"; since you mentioned the need to find a third party repair shop.

My mistake.

My Gear

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 11:38 |  #18

runninmann wrote in post #13407977 (external link)
I didn't realize that your statement was only in reference to warranty work. I interpreted it to mean that you believed that Sigma wouldn't work on it after the one-year seller's warranty because it's "grey market".

My mistake.

I am not 100% about sigma and their policies, I just know Canon will not even touch a Grey Market product.

GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2011 11:39 |  #19

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13407987 (external link)
I am not 100% about sigma and their policies, I just know Canon will not even touch a Grey Market product.

Really?

My Gear

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 11:40 |  #20

runninmann wrote in post #13408000 (external link)
Really?

Yeah if it does not come from an Authorized Canon dealer they will not work on them.

Edit: This is why you have to provide proof of purchase for warranty work.

GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2011 11:49 |  #21

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13408008 (external link)
Yeah if it does not come from an Authorized Canon dealer they will not work on them.

Edit: This is why you have to provide proof of purchase for warranty work.

But, we're not talking about warranty work.

I know we've strayed way, way off-topic, but how would Canon know that you didn't buy from an Authorized Canon Dealer? B&H sells grey market items and they're authorized. I have always been under the impression that grey market affected one's ability to get warranty work completed, not out of warranty work.

There's no need to send a receipt or proof of purchase for out-of-warranty work.

For all Canon or any other manufacturer knows, I could have purchased the item while living in country A, moved to country B and now need service.

My Gear

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 12:21 |  #22

runninmann wrote in post #13408048 (external link)

I know we've strayed way, way off-topic, but how would Canon know that you didn't buy from an Authorized Canon Dealer? B&H sells grey market items and they're authorized. I have always been under the impression that grey market affected one's ability to get warranty work completed, not out of warranty work.

There's no need to send a receipt or proof of purchase for out-of-warranty work.

For all Canon or any other manufacturer knows, I could have purchased the item while living in country A, moved to country B and now need service.

They wouldn't know the difference, if we are talking about out of warranty work.

Edit: Again not 100% sure a serial number would tell if it were intended for the USA market, it's all a chance a buyer takes trying to save a few bucks.

GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,689 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 16, 2011 12:53 |  #23

runninmann wrote in post #13408048 (external link)

My experience is only for Sigma Canada... a Sigma not purchased in Canada sent in to Gentec (the Sigma front in Canada) gets flat charged ($65 I believe) for warranty support, because it was not meant to be supported in Canada... they can tell based on a serial #...

EOS R / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,136 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 16, 2011 13:01 |  #24

Grey market lenses tend to be cheaper than USA. I highly suggest contacting seller and ask them what value they plan on declaring the package. They may declare full price for insurance purposes.

I ordered a lens from DigitalRev. Thought it was all fine and dandy until I get a bill from FedEx with a charge of $15 for duty tax.

If there was a problem with the lens and you did have to send it back, it would be costly for you to ship. You also need to find out from the seller who do you ship it back to. If you ship it back to them, they may have a shop that fixes lenses rather than them shipping it to Sigma themselves.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22mm
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Nov 16, 2011 13:06 |  #25

Several years ago, I bought a new 120-300 f/2.8 from Sigm4less.com. At that time, it was $2249. Looks like it has gone uop considerably, especially for the new model.
http://www.photo4less.​com …n.aspx?brandid=​1677&id=35 (external link)

I can't remember but it came with a 3 or 4 year warranty and I purchased the Mack Extended warranty which I transferred to the person that bought the lens from me.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2011 16:33 |  #26

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13407289 (external link)
The tax is based on what the shipper claims the item to be on the package. If he states that there is a $2000+ camera lens in the package you will have to pay an import tax on it. If he lists the package contents as documents, pictures etc; you would not have to pay a tax on it. I personally have purchased many things from HK, China, South Africa and have never paid a duty tax on any of my items, lucky I guess but it is a chance that you take. As far as the warranty the seller gives you a 1 year warranty which means you would have to send it back to china for repair if anything were to happen to the lens. My only concern is after that year is up what do you do, Sigma will most likely not work on grey market items which leaves you trying to find a third party repair shop. It's up to you in the end to make the decision.

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13408382 (external link)
My experience is only for Sigma Canada... a Sigma not purchased in Canada sent in to Gentec (the Sigma front in Canada) gets flat charged ($65 I believe) for warranty support, because it was not meant to be supported in Canada... they can tell based on a serial #...

My Gear

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 17:49 |  #27

I was talking about warranty work and out of warranty work. I mentioned to the OP he would have to sen it back to China within the first year for repairs and after that year find a third party repair shop to work on it because I am not sure if Sigma will work on Grey Market products.

GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 16, 2011 18:35 |  #28

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13409816 (external link)
I was talking about warranty work and out of warranty work. I mentioned to the OP he would have to sen it back to China within the first year for repairs and after that year find a third party repair shop to work on it because I am not sure if Sigma will work on Grey Market products.

Right!

My Gear

mrbtd
418 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2011 19:14 |  #29

I bought a Sigma lens from China and had Sigma service it with no issues. I did have to pay an odd tax though. For a $400 purchase it was around $18 due on import. In my case it was paid by FedEx upfront and then I paid them.

Josh13
THREAD ­ STARTER
164 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2011 21:33 as a reply to  @ mrbtd's post |  #30

Thanks for all the comments. I was ready to sell my 400 and 150 and order this lens but now I'm not to sure. I have had great experiences with Sigma lenses I have owned 7 of them and the only bad one was a very old 24-70 f2.8 I got used that was really soft wide open. I guess I have a lot to think about.

5DIV, Elan 7n, 400 f4 DO I, 100-400mm II, 1.4x TCIII, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8 STM, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7rIII, A6300, 100-400 GM, 85 f1.4 GM, 90 Macro, 55 f1.8, 16-35 F4, 35 f2.8, Batis 25 f2, Samyang 14 f2.8 AF, MC-11.
D500, 200-500, Tokina 300 f2.8, 35 f1.8
S110, D20, Hero 6, 3+

sponsored links

2,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma Lens from China on Ebay
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.