Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 17:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for wedding photographer - Scotland/UK

omnom
364 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 16, 2011 18:33 |  #16

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13409990 (external link)
So you are condoning murder as long as you dont get caught? I am not saying you cannot (and even if I did, I doubt you would take my advice). Illegal is illegal, and just be aware of the possible consequences.

Are you saying you never break any laws whatsoever?

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2011 19:43 |  #17

Ive said my piece, no need for me to belabor the point.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 17, 2011 04:38 |  #18

Caffrey123 wrote in post #13409775 (external link)
One great thing if I were to hire from overseas is that the photographer could stay in my parents house where I will be having the wedding reception in the walled garden (possibly the whole wedding) http://www.pennylandho​use.co.uk/ (external link) Hopefully this would cut my costs a little unless they wanted to stay elsewhere.

True, but it's also like sitting the photographer on the top table during the wedding breakfast. I know a lot of togs like to keep a professional space between themselves and the clients.

It kinda puts them on the spot to ask them to stay in the same place. It may encroach on their perceived privacy and actually put the price they quote you up. Some couples chance their arm and a seasoned tog will be on guard of this.

For me anyway, I turn up, shoot and leave. If an overnight stay is involved prior I'd stay elsewhere as I have to be mentally focused on the wedding at hand. Often I've stayed after to be a part of the fun or even overnight on occasion but that's AFTER the wedding when I'm no longer required in a professional capcity and can relax.

It really depends on the tog, but go for a UK one. We understand the limits of the light, the weather and the land.

Chris Giles Photography

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 17, 2011 05:19 |  #19

Gel wrote in post #13412034 (external link)
I know a lot of togs like to keep a professional space between themselves and the clients.

It depends on how you work I guess. I keep professional when working but that doesn't stop me becoming friends etc with clients.

It really depends on the tog, but go for a UK one. We understand the limits of the light, the weather and the land.

Not just the UK ones... ex-pats do too ;) and so of us don't have work visa issues either (dual nationality is great!).

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 17, 2011 05:21 |  #20

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13409552 (external link)
How about a work visa for Scottland?

A very good point. I'm lucky as I can work in Australia, New Zealand and the EU without any issues. I don't think I'd chance going somewhere without the right visa.

Peter

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 17, 2011 06:07 |  #21

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #13412107 (external link)
It depends on how you work I guess. I keep professional when working but that doesn't stop me becoming friends etc with clients.

That kinda goes without saying. But the night before I'd like to move around and be myself without feeling under the scrutiny of others. It's always great to create a bond with a couple but this happens over the course of the day.

I have visions of it being like a first date and feeling all awkward. It's probably just me though, I like to feel I'm somewhere for a reason.

Chris Giles Photography

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,558 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 17, 2011 12:39 |  #22

jjmucker on this board is based out of Glasgow and is really good. He's always looking to kick it up a notch when shooting. Great guy and fun to hang out with too!

http://www.johnjohnsto​nphotography.co.uk/ (external link)

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2011 20:17 |  #23

True, but it's also like sitting the photographer on the top table during the wedding breakfast. I know a lot of togs like to keep a professional space between themselves and the clients.

It kinda puts them on the spot to ask them to stay in the same place. It may encroach on their perceived privacy and actually put the price they quote you up. Some couples chance their arm and a seasoned tog will be on guard of this.

For me anyway, I turn up, shoot and leave. If an overnight stay is involved prior I'd stay elsewhere as I have to be mentally focused on the wedding at hand. Often I've stayed after to be a part of the fun or even overnight on occasion but that's AFTER the wedding when I'm no longer required in a professional capcity and can relax.

I agree that there should always be a level of professionalism when so much money is involved. However, I have my eye on photographers from overseas so the majority I am guessing would want to stay in Scotland for more than one night. The B&B is fully functioning...it's not like I am just putting them up at my parents house! They would have as much privacy as they would elsewhere and would be staying at the wedding venue not to mention a beautiful and historical Scottish home.

Believe me, I would prefer to go for a Scottish or British Photographer....my budget would love that!

picturecrazy wrote in post #13413541 (external link)
jjmucker on this board is based out of Glasgow and is really good. He's always looking to kick it up a notch when shooting. Great guy and fun to hang out with too!

http://www.johnjohnsto​nphotography.co.uk/ (external link)

Thank you for the link, he has some great work! I will definitely consider him if circumstances change.

I have done a lot of research but think I am going to go for Gene Pease from Minnesota - one of the links I initially posted. He is within my budget and familiar with my husband's side of the family (he shot my cousin-in-laws wedding) I just can't find anyone locally with the same style. My heart is set on his work and I don't want to settle for less. There has been many great photographers suggested to me but I have a very particular style I am looking for.

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 18, 2011 20:25 |  #24

Wow. Just now looking at Gene's work. Never heard of/seen him before -- but he has some incredible imagery!!! Beautiful :D

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2011 20:31 |  #25

Yes, he is amazing. He shot my cousins wedding last year and I was pretty impressed. Now his work is getting better and better with every wedding.

I am a huge fan of both your styles....I seem to be facing a bit of a dilemma now! I promised myself not to get stressed out about my wedding! The most important thing to meis the photographer. I would by myself a dress from a thrift store and get married in a field if it meant I could have my dream photographer!!

Caffrey123
THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 18, 2011 20:36 |  #26

Here is a recent blog entry of his, simply beautiful.

http://blog.geneoh.com​/archives/4841 (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 19, 2011 02:39 |  #27

Caffrey123 wrote in post #13419981 (external link)
Believe me, I would prefer to go for a Scottish or British Photographer....my budget would love that!

I think you've solved a few things with this statement.

If I was in your shoes I'd look at it like this - Spend a week looking through all the togs in the UK and you'll be 4k better off.

Your wedding is going to be individual and have it's own look based on many things. I know you're after a certain style but it doesn't mean your wedding photos will end up like that because of variables such as location, weather and your personality. When it comes down to it a tog may work in a way that clashes with your proceedings no matter how good their work is.

I'd say approach those in the US you've listed and ask them what's involved in the shots they take timewise. See what they say, move forward from that.

Chris Giles Photography

ImaginePhotography
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 19, 2011 07:39 |  #28

Gene's work looks superb....I'm sure he'll he fantastic! I can't help but be a little selfishly-depressed :)

www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)

adrianSE
44 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 19, 2011 07:47 |  #29

We used Simon Grosset, very pleased with the pictures and he's a great guy to work with on the day. I think he matches what you are looking for?

http://www.grosset.co.​uk/weddings/weddings.h​tml (external link)

You can mention my name (Adrian and Jacqui, back in 2003 in Sussex!), but it'll probably cost you more ;-)a

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 22, 2011 12:18 |  #30

I have a point I think you should consider, having looked at some of the great photographers you've shortlisted.

You're not likely to find work like that from photographers in Scotland, because Scotland doesn't have that kind of light. I'm not saying this to appear smart or to put anyone down, or even to stick up for British wedding photographers. But you'll be very lucky indeed to be getting married on one of the 5 days in the year that the sun shines in Scotland.:)

Seriously, look at the work of the great British wedding photographers and you'll see that the look is completely different, and it's not just about photographic style or fashion, it's simply that the light is so different to California. If you want your wedding photo's to look like Bobby's site or Gene's then you should stay in California to get married, you can afford to ship a photographer across the Atlantic, but it's a bigger challenge to ship the sunshine with them.;)

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for wedding photographer - Scotland/UK
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.