Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 19:32
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which lens to get on Tuesday?"
35L, bro! It's one of the Holy Trinity for a reason!
84.9%
50L all the way. Magic and beautiful.
15.1%

119 voters, 119 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D: 35L or 50L

Alex_Venom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2011 10:38 |  #16

*Jayrou wrote in post #13407395 (external link)
7D and 35L is a great combo....Define 'wasted on a crop' for me

L lenses shouldn't go on crop cameras?, its not a 35mm FOV? what?

I guess he's saying the Sigma 30mm gives close enough performance for a fraction of the price.
While I do understand that, the Sigma has a few things keeping me away: as I said, I'll have to keep what I get, and the Sigma 30 is well known for having AF troubles. I can't risk that.
Besides, I'm planning to go Full Frame when the 1DX is released (probably with a 1DS 3), and the Siggy is only compatible with crop bodies. ;)

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

sponsored links
hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2011 10:44 |  #17

Both great lenses!
This choice is very subjective and is really dependent on your personal shooting style and preferences.

Are you using a zoom as your primary lens now?
If so, go back and look at your own work. Check the focal length on your favorite shots and look to see what focal length you shoot at most often. I think after you do that, you will be in a better position to answer your own question.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

notastockpikr
434 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 16, 2011 12:26 |  #18

Bro is probably the most annoying slang word in the world.

It's a close tie with "dude".

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,186 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 16, 2011 12:28 |  #19

notastockpikr wrote in post #13408225 (external link)
It's a close tie with "dude".

dude... bro made his point to yous guys :p

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 16, 2011 13:00 as a reply to  @ post 13407374 |  #20

Any L Lens is not wasted on a 7D unless you are one of the many people who think a full frame is the best thing since it is full frame and if you do not have full frame you should get full frame because it is full frame and I do not know the 7D's abilites because it is not full frame so you should get a full frame for no other reason than it is full frame... Yes the 5DII is great but the 7D is as well.

Personally I like the 35L on the 7D it has excellent IQ and the focus is always spot on with no focus shift. The 50L is excellent but it is more of a specialty lens and not as usable in as many situations both because of the longer focal length and the focus shift.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

syncros123
49 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 16, 2011 15:16 |  #21

35L! I prefer that FL on the 7D, I have the 7D with the 35 f2. I'm also interested in buying the 35L, but I'm hoping that Canon will refresh it soon.:D

Daedalus34r
477 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 17, 2011 16:31 |  #22

Alex_Venom wrote in post #13407730 (external link)
I guess he's saying the Sigma 30mm gives close enough performance for a fraction of the price.
While I do understand that, the Sigma has a few things keeping me away: as I said, I'll have to keep what I get, and the Sigma 30 is well known for having AF troubles. I can't risk that.
Besides, I'm planning to go Full Frame when the 1DX is released (probably with a 1DS 3), and the Siggy is only compatible with crop bodies. ;)

Precicely, 90-90% of the lens for what, a fifth of a price? No brainer to me. Also imo this sigma quality control problem is blown out of proportion. I have three sigma lenses (2 old finish, 1 new finish) and they function perfectly out of the box.

dadgummit wrote in post #13408426 (external link)
Any L Lens is not wasted on a 7D unless you are one of the many people who think a full frame is the best thing since it is full frame and if you do not have full frame you should get full frame because it is full frame and I do not know the 7D's abilites because it is not full frame so you should get a full frame for no other reason than it is full frame... Yes the 5DII is great but the 7D is as well.

Personally I like the 35L on the 7D it has excellent IQ and the focus is always spot on with no focus shift. The 50L is excellent but it is more of a specialty lens and not as usable in as many situations both because of the longer focal length and the focus shift.

Uuuuuuh, what are you rambling about again? I mentioned the sig30 because its a fantastic lens, it will do what OP wants and it will save him money. Also, look at my sig, I OWN A 7D, relax. Not all of us can afford the best lenses, and sometimes the best lenses dont offer the best value. Unless OP is making lots of money on this lens through a photography business it makes little sense to own one. But he mentioned later that he will be upgrading to the 1D line so the 35L in that case makes sense.

BODY :: EOS 7D, EOS 50D
GLASS :: 17-55 f/2.8 , 50 f/1.4 , 70-200 f/4L IS, 150 f/2.8 EX Macro , 10-20 f/4-5.6 EX , 30 f/1.4 EX
EXTRAS :: 430EX II , Kata R-103 Bag , Tenba Messenger Bag :: WISH LIST :: 100 f/2
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro Review

louisp_p
42 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 17, 2011 16:46 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 17, 2011 17:35 |  #24

24L on a crop 35L on FF but out of the two, I'd say the 35L for sure.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Loodachris
383 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 17, 2011 23:01 as a reply to  @ ni$mo350's post |  #25

Daedalus34r wrote in post #13407374 (external link)
id recommend the sigma 30, just as good of a lens for a fraction of the price. 35L is wasted on crop

never heard of anyone saying the 35L is a waste on a crop but if so that's one sweet piece of waste glued to the end of my 7d :) Although I know now I would rather have the 24L glued to it instead

My Flickr (external link)

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 18, 2011 01:34 |  #26

35L + 50 1.8 II

:D

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 18, 2011 05:30 |  #27

Daedalus34r wrote in post #13414564 (external link)
Precicely, 90-90% of the lens for what, a fifth of a price? No brainer to me. Also imo this sigma quality control problem is blown out of proportion. I have three sigma lenses (2 old finish, 1 new finish) and they function perfectly out of the box. .

Where did you get those percentages from?

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

cputeq007
585 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 18, 2011 06:54 |  #28

I'm sure both are fine lenses, but frankly I'd use neither on a cropper.

~50mm is just too stinking boring for me as a FL - usually it's either not wide enough or not long enough.

~75mm is no-man's land to me and I've never liked this FL, as it's too long for anything but portraits and a bit too short for portraits.

Were it me, and it's not, I'd hunt down a 24L for your 7D - fun focal length :)

To each his/her own, though!

Flickr (external link)
I own camera stuff

Alex_Venom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,624 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 18, 2011 11:49 |  #29

Just to let you guys know that I just purchased a nice sweet perfect copy of the 35L! :D
I'm so happy! My work colleagues are all asking why I'm smiling so much! :D

It should arrive in a few weeks (Brazil post office delays) and I just can't wait to start posting in the Lens Samples thread! :D

Thank you all for the input! You have no idea how much you helped! ;)
I just love this forum!

Photography is about GEAR and not talent or practice. Practice won't make you a better photographer. Expensive equipment will. =D
"Nobody can buy a scalpel and become a doctor, but anyone can buy a camera and become a photographer."

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 18, 2011 12:02 |  #30

Daedalus34r wrote in post #13414564 (external link)
Uuuuuuh, what are you rambling about again? I mentioned the sig30 because its a fantastic lens, it will do what OP wants and it will save him money. Also, look at my sig, I OWN A 7D, relax. Not all of us can afford the best lenses, and sometimes the best lenses dont offer the best value. Unless OP is making lots of money on this lens through a photography business it makes little sense to own one. But he mentioned later that he will be upgrading to the 1D line so the 35L in that case makes sense.

LOL Relax!!

If you look in my sig, I owned a 35L but sold it when I found a Sigma 30mm that could actually focus correctly. The OP asked about the L lens not the sigma 30 that is why I responded about that.

You are correct in the center the Sig 30 is every bit as good as the 35L; in the corners the L wins but for me if I am using a shallow depth of field I only care about the subject in the center anyway. In fact when my son was born 2 months ago the sigma 30 was the only lens I took (I trust it's quality that much).

I just think it is silly when people are so sensor snobish to say that if you have a crop camera it is total crap so only buy cheap lenses.

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

sponsored links

4,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D: 35L or 50L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.