Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....

torvaterra
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 17, 2011 21:44 |  #1

Let me preface this by saying that I do not usually order things so close to when I need them. However, I have two photo shoots this week: one on Friday which is casual, and a big shoot on Saturday. So earlier this week I ordered a Lexar 16gb 600x cf card with expedited shipping from Amazon.com which was sold through them by Abe's of Maine. Ive heard of Abe's but had never used them before... now I know. Trust = lost.

Card came in tonight, wrecked. The memory card's retail packaging is crushed and damaged, the seal was already broken, the case is broken and wont stay closed, the card is scratched up and dirty (yes actual dirt/lint), there are visible fingerprints on the case and card... RAGE. I was sent a damaged, used item. You would think that when someone orders a "professional" grade high dollar memory card AND expedited shipping that they would at least send a new item. Nope, this thing looks like they pulled it out of the trash, wiped it on their jeans and shipped it to me.

I called Amazon and although the guy apologized, he said that I need to contact Abe's and that there is nothing that they can do. I called Abe's and they are closed. The recording says that they are open tomorrow from 10am to 2:30pm. They are closed Saturday and Sunday.

I just want what I paid for, a new Lexar 16gb 600x cf for my shoots this week.

So I sent Abe's a love note...

Here is a copy of the e-mail that you sent to Abes of Maine Cameras and Electronics.

Order ID 002-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
1 of Professional LCF16GCRBNA600 16 GB CompactFlash (CF) Card [ASIN: B002TZSFY2]

------------- Begin message -------------

I ordered a "Professional" 16gb Lexar 600x compact flash card earlier this week with expedited shipping. I have two photo shoots, one on Friday and one on Saturday that I need this card for. The card just came in tonight (8:30pm Thursday Nov 17,2011) and it is damaged, broken, and clearly used. The retail box that it came in is dinged, bent, and just in terrible shape. The seal on the box was already broken. The interior plastic packaging is also bent and damaged. The case that the card comes with is broken and wont stay closed. Both the memory card itself and the case are covered in finger prints and scuff marks/scratches. The memory card is clearly used.

I have a $2000 camera and I will not put this dirty, used card in it to even check to see if it functions. This is unacceptable. Not only did I pay for a "professional" high end memory card, but I paid for expedited shipping and handling. A used card should NEVER have been sent to me, let alone one in such poor shape. I absolutely need a 16gb 600x card at least for my photo shoot on Saturday. I have paid a lot of money to set up this photo shoot, which would all go to waste. All I want is what I paid for, a NEW Lexar 16gb 600x cf card. Not a filthy used, dented up card and a headache. I have attached images taken with my cell phone right after I opened the package.

Tomorrow I am going to be at the photo shoot all day and into the night. I dont have time to race around and try to find a memory card locally. I will try to call in to your retail location to see if anything can be done, however I will not have much time to do so.

To say that I am shocked and disappointed would be an understatement. In all of my years of photography and ordering online, this is the worst experience that I have had. I regret trusting in Abe's to provide what I needed, to provide what I paid for and what was promised.

------------- End message -------------

Here are some pictures I took with my cell phone. If I had a card Id take them with my 7d!

Minor Update: I ended up calling Amazon again to see if there was any way that they could get me a card for Saturday. The rep was able to order me a new card at the same price of $90 (it is $127.43 sold through Amazon), and add on $8.06 one day shipping. It is coming from Amazon's warehouse in Tennessee. He assured me that it will be here tomorrow (Friday) in time for my shoot Saturday. We shall see. He was really nice though and the first rep did not offer this option to me. So Im glad that I called back. I really hope that it gets here in time. Its kind of annoying though to have both charges on my card. He said that until Abe's issues me a refund that's how it is.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.torvaterra.com (external link)
http://torvaterra.zenf​olio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,383 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Nov 17, 2011 21:56 |  #2

You need to add: PS: I frequent many photography forums and they are all going to know what a piece of **** you are!

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 17, 2011 22:04 |  #3

Sorry to hear. Another reason why I only buy items sold by and/or fulfilled by Amazon - their return policy is second to none!

I've never ordered from Abe's, but I've read many good things about them. I'd hope yours is an isolated situation because this is not the reputation I've read about.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

DiMAn0684
Goldmember
1,933 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 17, 2011 22:20 as a reply to  @ v35skyline's post |  #4

Pretty good sale going on @ Adorama now:
http://www.adorama.com​/ILXPCF60016G.html (external link)

not sure how fast they can get this card to you though...

Canon 5D MkII | Canon 16-35mm f/4 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | Canon 24-105mm f/4 | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Canon 430EX II | Benro A2682TB1

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2011 22:29 |  #5

Wow.. sorry to hear. Hope you get this sorted out.

Gear & Feedback

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 17, 2011 23:08 |  #6

DiMAn0684 wrote in post #13415849 (external link)
Pretty good sale going on @ Adorama now:
http://www.adorama.com​/ILXPCF60016G.html (external link)

not sure how fast they can get this card to you though...

Yeah that is actually a really good deal for this card. They are usually $125. I got the one I bought for $90 and then the expedited shipping was $13.23.

Minor Update: I ended up calling Amazon again to see if there was any way that they could get me a card for Saturday. The rep was able to order me a new card at the same price of $90 (it is $127.43 sold through Amazon), and add on $8.06 one day shipping. It is coming from Amazon's warehouse in Tennessee. He assured me that it will be here tomorrow (Friday) in time for my shoot Saturday. We shall see. He was really nice though and the first rep did not offer this option to me. So Im glad that I called back. I really hope that it gets here in time. Its kind of annoying though to have both charges on my card. He said that until Abe's issues me a refund that's how it is.

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 17, 2011 23:13 |  #7

This sucks, my Girlfriend almost ordered my 5D mkII she go me for christmas last year from Abes but she read some reviews and decided to order it elsewhere. That sucks that a company would do that and send you something in such horrible condition. Im curious why you didn't get it elsewhere. B&H has it for less money and they have top notch service.

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 17, 2011 23:27 |  #8

gotaudi wrote in post #13416025 (external link)
This sucks, my Girlfriend almost ordered my 5D mkII she go me for christmas last year from Abes but she read some reviews and decided to order it elsewhere. That sucks that a company would do that and send you something in such horrible condition. Im curious why you didn't get it elsewhere. B&H has it for less money and they have top notch service.

I had a $76.00 gift card for Amazon from my birthday in July that I hadnt used yet. Ive ordered from Amazon directly before with no issues. This time it was Amazon but Abe's was the seller via the Amazon marketplace. I had heard of Abe's before and they have 99% positive feedback supposedly. I trust Amazon direct, BH and Adorama for purchasing gear. Im just glad it wasnt a lens or camera that I purchased!

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 23:43 as a reply to  @ torvaterra's post |  #9

what about the packaging brown box itself?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,121 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 17, 2011 23:53 |  #10

Yea, what kind of packaging did the card come in? Box or padded envelope?

I ordered from Abes of Maine. Ordered a D7000 at the beginning of the year. It was backordered and was told I would have it in 2 weeks. 2 weeks came and gone. I constantly checked and the date kept getting pushed back. Found out a friend ordered back in September 2010 and his never arrived. We both ended up canceling our order and I placed both our order else where.

I did however order my grip from them. Cheapest price out of all the places and I applied a coupon to get it even cheaper. They shipped quick and arrived safely in a brown box but they like to call you to see if you want memory card, battery, warranty or unnecessary accessories.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

torvaterra
THREAD ­ STARTER
588 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2011 00:36 |  #11

HyperYagami wrote in post #13416122 (external link)
what about the packaging brown box itself?

iazybandit wrote in post #13416142 (external link)
Yea, what kind of packaging did the card come in? Box or padded envelope?

They shipped it in a padded brown envelope. The envelope doesn't look very good it is a bit crinkled but not too bad. It looks as though it was not handled gently, but I do not think that it is the cause of the damage. It doesn't explain the dirt and dust in the memory card, why the seal at the bottom was broken, why the case and card are dirty, scratched and scuffed up, etc.

The upper seal on the retail box looks like it was opened and resealed a few times. It has lint and dust stuck to it between the seal and package. You can see multiple circular residue sticky tape marks from where it was opened and closed several times.

The lower seal was cut through and there is tape (office style scotch tape) on the bottom of the box over the circular seal but it was not stuck down. The tape has acrylic clear looking fuzz on it.

If you turn the clear plastic case or the shiny gloss foil of the memory card itself to catch the light or look closely, they both have many finger prints on them. Even my thumb prints are smaller than the prints. The memory card has dust in it and there is a thin smear of dirt (possibly from a dirty finger?) on the plastic case. There is also a deep but not very long scratch on the case, as well as many scuff marks.

The packing slip paper that came folded inside the package doesnt have the same dents in it that the box does.

I have Sherlock Holmes'd this card and I deduct that it was used and not a case of damage by shipping carrier.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 18, 2011 01:39 |  #12

Note to self - avoid Abe's.

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 18, 2011 02:50 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #13

Not a great situation but great to see you drag Abes through the mud over such a transaction without even waiting to see how they will help resolve it.

To date I have placed a hand full of orders with Abes (including 3 lenses) and every time they came through admirably.

Also it seems a little odd you have a 7D and yet no card to take a picture with (according to your post). I have a 7D and more than 160gb of cards for it.

Sorry to see such a problem but equally sorry to see another Shoot first/public execution of a decent company before they are given any opportunity to react.

Hopefully they show you a little more courtesy than you have extended them with this smear thread.

for what it is worth - if I were closer I would gladly give you a loaner card to help you through the weekend. Perhaps someone closer might step up.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

mpix345
Goldmember
2,858 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 18, 2011 06:42 |  #14

Justaddwata wrote in post #13416438 (external link)
Not a great situation but great to see you drag Abes through the mud over such a transaction without even waiting to see how they will help resolve it.

To date I have placed a hand full of orders with Abes (including 3 lenses) and every time they came through admirably.

Also it seems a little odd you have a 7D and yet no card to take a picture with (according to your post). I have a 7D and more than 160gb of cards for it.

Sorry to see such a problem but equally sorry to see another Shoot first/public execution of a decent company before they are given any opportunity to react.

Hopefully they show you a little more courtesy than you have extended them with this smear thread.

for what it is worth - if I were closer I would gladly give you a loaner card to help you through the weekend. Perhaps someone closer might step up.

I agree that it seems odd to have a 7D and what sounds like an important and paying gig and no memory cards. Even stranger to wait until the last minute to order one card (seems like you'd need at least one back up?).

Beyond that, stuff happens. I'm not defending Abe's (I don't think they are as reputable as B&H or Adorama), but if you set yourself up to order a must have item at the last minute you are asking for Mr Murphy to stop by and screw things up for you. I've had B&H ship me the wrong item; Amazon ship me defective items, and items get damaged in shipping. It happens.

Not sure what kind of acceptable excuse Abe's can come up with for this, but at the end of the day any retailer can screw up. If they promptly "make things right" it's hard for me to kill them over something.

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 18, 2011 07:02 |  #15

I bought a card from them a few years ago, box came the same way as yours and the card was a mess. i called them right up and they shipped me a new one the next day. I was not pleased with the card I got, but was happy with the quick resolution.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links

5,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just Ripped Abe's of Maine a New ....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.