Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Voice recording

Ontario55
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2011 10:46 |  #1

I've searched the Forums and still not sure what I need or what I should get

I want something that is approx size of a cellphone, with a belt clip that I can take to car shows, drag races and shop tours
I do not want to take a pad and pen and be constantly up and down between pad and camera
I would like to be able to take some type of a recorder from a clip on my belt, press record and say what I just took a pic of
I won't be using it on every pic but the ones that need an explanation
I purchased a Zoom H1 and I don't think its clarity on the playback is very good
Suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Mach

sponsored links
led ­ hed
Goldmember
1,929 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 17, 2011 10:52 |  #2

ipod, it has the voice recorder app on it?

Rob - "a photographer is a painter, in a hurry!"
Canon 7D ~ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MKII ~ Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS ~ Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II ~ Canon 430EX ~ Canon EF 2.0X III Telephoto Extender ~ Canon SX230 HS

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 17, 2011 11:00 |  #3

Mach wrote in post #13413049 (external link)
I purchased a Zoom H1 and I don't think its clarity on the playback is very good

Do you mean the quality using the built-in speaker isn't very good? Did you try using earphones?

Joel

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 12:00 |  #4

Mach wrote in post #13413049 (external link)
I've searched the Forums and still not sure what I need or what I should get

I want something that is approx size of a cellphone, with a belt clip that I can take to car shows, drag races and shop tours
I do not want to take a pad and pen and be constantly up and down between pad and camera
I would like to be able to take some type of a recorder from a clip on my belt, press record and say what I just took a pic of
I won't be using it on every pic but the ones that need an explanation
Suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Mach

Pretty much any smartphone now a days can do this for you. I use my iphone sometimes to do this and you can get a lav mic for it too for better audio capture. For longer captures I use a little sony digital recorder with a lav connected to it. Thatll record literally for days straight on two AAA batteries.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Ontario55
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 17, 2011 12:35 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #5

Thanks for the replies thus far
I made a few phone calls and it has been suggested that I get an Olympus VN7000
Anybody have one of these and can comment on it
Thanks
Mach

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 12:45 |  #6

Mach wrote in post #13413523 (external link)
Thanks for the replies thus far
I made a few phone calls and it has been suggested that I get an Olympus VN7000
Anybody have one of these and can comment on it
Thanks
Mach

No, but the reviews arent that good. Id go with a Sony personally. They seem to be the best rated and most popular. I bought this one earlier this year: LINK (external link)though its not available anymore. I really liked that this one one plugged into a computer via standard mini USB port it showed up like a regular old USB drive and thus I could use it with any OS and many other devices. I also went with this Lav mic: LINK (external link)
Maybe try looking at this model: LINK (external link) or a bit more: LINK (external link) or on of the others here: LINK (external link)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 17, 2011 17:40 |  #7

What camera are you using? If you are using a 1D series you can record a voice memo and it is attached to your photo.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 17, 2011 17:41 |  #8

gromeo wrote in post #13414888 (external link)
What camera are you using? If you are using a 1D series you can record a voice memo and it is attached to your photo.

Yea thats soo cool too. I wish Canon would give that feature to all their bodies. Ive always loves that about 1d/1ds bodies.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 17, 2011 19:08 |  #9

I use the Olympus LS-10, often with an external mike plugged in (either one clipped to my collar or with a shotgun mike while doing video). It was recommended by National Geographic photographer Bob Krist in one of his OP columns, and I've found it to live up to his claims and more. I'll even just leave it recording as I talk into it throughout a day while shooting - with 8 GB on-board memory and taking SDHC cards, you've got plenty of recording time.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,870 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 17, 2011 20:53 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #13413571 (external link)
No, but the reviews arent that good. Id go with a Sony personally. They seem to be the best rated and most popular. I bought this one earlier this year: LINK (external link)though its not available anymore. I really liked that this one one plugged into a computer via standard mini USB port it showed up like a regular old USB drive and thus I could use it with any OS and many other devices. I also went with this Lav mic: LINK (external link)
Maybe try looking at this model: LINK (external link) or a bit more: LINK (external link) or on of the others here: LINK (external link)

Not sure where the 'reviews aren't that good' comment comes from, about the Olympus VN7000. Many different sites on the web with user comments left about the VN7000, and generally the comments are positive.

The biggest con expressed by those posting one-star reviews is the lack of computer/USB connectivity to download the digital files...the way I look at it, there was no way to download files recorded on the microcassette tape recordings either.

Great sensitivity, and over 1200 hours of recording, and there is a built in folder structure so that you can more easily sort your recordings into categories...one folder might be for recording exposure information, another folder might be for comments about the locations of the photos, etc. I bought mine as a refurbished unit for $18...hard to go wrong at that price!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,164 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 17, 2011 21:39 |  #11

I was just searching for a voice recorder unrelated to photography, and I'm pretty much settled on this one: http://www.amazon.com …DEOE0&colid=3H5​LRX20WOEUJ (external link)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Ontario55
THREAD ­ STARTER
67 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 18, 2011 07:42 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #12

Last night I purchased an Olympus VN 7200
It was a toss up between Sony and Olympus but the store rep said they have more Sonys come back for poor quality and not working than they do with the Olympus line
Thanks to all for your comments
Mach

sponsored links

1,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Voice recording
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.