Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Nov 2011 (Thursday) 01:37
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Your number 1 portrait lens?"
85L
22.7%
85 f/1.8
14.1%
135L
12.7%
70-200 F/2.8 IS II
24.7%
50L
4.8%
200 F/2.8 L
0.6%
300 F/2.8 L
0.4%
35L
3.2%
24-70 F/2.8 L
4.4%
Other (specify)
12.4%

502 voters, 502 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your number 1 portrait lens - vote!

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 16, 2011 12:12 |  #61

Honestly, I probably would have to say the 135L. Now I dont shoot portraits, but because of the nature of the lens, being long and having a low aperture of f/2, you can great subject isolation, the person will be in focus and just win/win :) In close second for me would be either the 35L or 85L. I lust after the 35L, Ive seen just amazing work from that lens.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2011 13:07 |  #62

OP: You do realize there are far more 70-200 owners then 85L owners, and most people will pick the lenses they already own or wish to buy next. Scientifically, the pool results would have to be adjusted quite a bit. And even so, the 70-200 wins by only a small margin.Just saying, in case you're trying to pat yourself on the back for your latest purchase. And you haven't even mentioned the Sigma 85 1.4. Even so, the fast primes are favored by far more people then your zoom.

Hope this doesn't lead to yet one more thread.

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2011 13:15 |  #63

This is a funny comment.

1. The poll is not here to prove a point of 70-200 being superior
2. Yes, it is likely that more people purchase 70-200 that 85L, but guess what people typically purchase things that they consider are better, no?
3. Sigma -it might be a good lens, if you are lucky to get a good copy. I agree

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #13418231 (external link)
OP: You do realize there are far more 70-200 owners then 85L owners, and most people will pick the lenses they already own or wish to buy next. Scientifically, the pool results would have to be adjusted quite a bit. And even so, the 70-200 wins by only a small margin.Just saying, in case you're trying to get a pat on the back for your latest purchase. And you haven't even mentioned the Sigma 85 1.4. Even so, the fast primes are favored by far more people then your zoom.

Alex || www.dylikowski.com (external link)

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2011 13:26 |  #64

No. People almost never buy the things they consider best. Otherwise the whole world would be driving Ferrari/Maserati/Bentl​ey and shooting Mamiya or the likes and the list goes on.
People try to get the best bang for the buck. Much fewer are willing to spend on a specialized tool or toy. As such, I hardly think anyone bought the 70-200 because it was the best portrait lens. They bought it because it was a good compromise offering versatility and quality in the same price rage, for other subjects too.
As for the Sigma, they can always calibrate the small percentage that can't be fixed by the in-camera options. You would be amazed how many would have picked it as a the best portrait lens (because it's almost as good as the 85L while being far cheaper - same bang for the buck I've mentioned earlier)

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2011 13:36 |  #65

I don't agree.
70-200 F/2.8 IS II costs more than 85L. I have used both and attached photos from both lenses. Both can do miracles.
70-200 is superior in many ways, but it doesn't have the F/1.2
There is no compromise. If Sigma is that good...than many people will sell 85L and get a cheaper Sigma. I think it is simple:-)

Lens is only as good as your skills to use it.
I went through the 85L thread. If I would have needed to purchase it based on images there - I would pay for it maximum 100$.

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #13418323 (external link)
No. People almost never buy the things they consider best. Otherwise the whole world would be driving Ferrari/Maserati/Bentl​ey and shooting Mamiya or the likes and the list goes on.
People try to get the best bang for the buck. Much fewer are willing to spend on a specialized tool or toy. As such, I hardly think anyone bought the 70-200 because it was the best portrait lens. They bought it because it was a good compromise offering versatility and quality in the same price rage, for other subjects too.
As for the Sigma, they can always calibrate the small percentage that can't be fixed by the in-camera options. You would be amazed how many would have picked it as a the best portrait lens (because it's almost as good as the 85L while being far cheaper)

RKruegerPhotoNJ
288 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 18, 2011 13:38 |  #66

Originally, I used my 85 1.8 as my go-to portrait lens, but am finding the 24-105 f/4L to be the one I go back to again and again - I love the colors and the way it pairs with the 5DMII

Rick Krueger - Morristown, NJ
My Website (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2011 13:40 |  #67

SquireBlueNJ wrote in post #13418376 (external link)
Originally, I used my 85 1.8 as my go-to portrait lens, but am finding the 24-105 f/4L to be the one I go back to again and again - I love the colors and the way it pairs with the 5DMII

This is interesting....I simply can't think of 24-105 as a portrait lens.Only when I do not have anything else with me....so it is better to have a shot than not....:-)

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2011 13:42 |  #68

there's a massive difference between f/1.2 and f/2.8. I'm glad you love your new zoom, but don't try to convince everyone it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Ferrari_Alex wrote in post #13418362 (external link)
Lens is only as good as your skills to use it.

You might learn that once you stop sweating over it. Till then, it only sounds like a defensive last resort argument from the OP of such a thread..

Ferrari_Alex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 18, 2011 13:44 |  #69

And once again:-)....this poll is not about 85L....or the zoom.
If I want 85L or any other lens...I will get it tomorrow:-)

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #13418403 (external link)
there's a massive difference between f/1.2 and f/2.8. I'm glad you love your new zoom, but don't try to convince everyone it's the best thing since sliced bread.

You might learn that once you stop sweating over it. Till then, it only sounds like a defensive last resort argument from the OP of such a thread..

Dragos ­ Jianu
Goldmember
1,768 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 18, 2011 13:50 |  #70

then just go for it, make up your own mind, and spare us the incessant pools and threads

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 18, 2011 15:27 |  #71

Dragos Jianu wrote in post #13418454 (external link)
then just go for it, make up your own mind, and spare us the incessant pools and threads

agree'd. getting a little sick of em' myself

Alex - you do come accross as a 70-200 fanboy. Your "its superior in many ways" comments make you out as such. I find it vastly the opposite way around (as a pure portait lens is concerned).

The 70-200 is an event (weddings, indoor corporate event coverage, etc...) and sports lens. NOT a portrait lens. More people own it, so they vote for it. Your poll means nothing. I own both and there is no comparison. But make no mistake about it, for a pure portrait photographer, the 85L prime wins.

Now please - stop with thread after thread, all just worded slightly differently.

It seems your just trying to talk yourself out of buying the 85L. Your "who gave theirs up and why?" thread confirms this.

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 18, 2011 15:38 |  #72

m.shalaby wrote in post #13418874 (external link)
agree'd. getting a little sick of em' myself

Alex - you do come accross as a 70-200 fanboy. Your "its superior in many ways" comments make you out as such. I find it vastly the opposite way around (as a pure portait lens is concerned).

The 70-200 is an event (weddings, indoor corporate event coverage, etc...) and sports lens. NOT a portrait lens. More people own, so they vote for it. But make no mistake about it, for a pure portrait photographer, the 85L prime wins.

Now please - stop with thread after thread, all just worded slightly differently.

Oh damn...the 70-200 is not a portrait lens? What an exaggeration!....Sure it's not ONLY a portrait lens, but surely, any lens with which a competent photographer can make first class portraits is worthy of being called a suitable portrait lens.

Equally silly to say that the 70-200 is "superior" to the 85L...also rubbish. For SOME portraits that special quality of the 85 is unsurpassable, but not for all portraits.

Totally agree with your last sentiment....what the hell am I doing here?:oops:

Growing old disgracefully!

m.shalaby
Goldmember
3,443 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 18, 2011 15:46 |  #73

Ricardo222 wrote in post #13418920 (external link)
Oh damn...the 70-200 is not a portrait lens? What an exaggeration!....Sure it's not ONLY a portrait lens, but surely, any lens with which a competent photographer can make first class portraits is worthy of being called a suitable portrait lens.

Equally silly to say that the 70-200 is "superior" to the 85L...also rubbish. For SOME portraits that special quality of the 85 is unsurpassable, but not for all portraits.

Totally agree with your last sentiment....what the hell am I doing here?:oops:

Its ovbious Canon made this lens for low light event/wedding photography. And due to the long range, sports as well.

Its not, by nature, a portait lens.

Michael ­ Cheddar
343 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Nov 18, 2011 16:19 |  #74

The 70-200IIL (every now and then) surprises me with images that just feel right. I personally wouldn't call it a portrait lens, but that doesn't leave it out from my consideration when I go out on location to shoot portraits. Having said that, I'm not one to get caught up on a single lens. Most of the time, I make my lens decisions based on what works best in that moment—which is constantly changing.

Oh and the 85IIL is great (owned once, maybe again? IDK, we'll see).
:cool:

5DIII | 35L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 18, 2011 16:24 as a reply to  @ Michael Cheddar's post |  #75

If I have any portraits to do I will go for my 24-70L every time and the only lenses on the list I have not had is the 35 and 50L;)

Gear List

sponsored links

16,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
Your number 1 portrait lens - vote!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.