Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 12 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Taking a trip to Arizona

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 12, 2011 11:42 |  #1

Most likely in early March of 2012. I'd like to catch some wildflowers blooming among other things. Any location suggestions? I know there are numerous places but I'm not sure which places are better this time of the year. I'm probably going to spend 3 or 4 days.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,234 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 12, 2011 12:50 |  #2

John, there are several web sites that report on desert wildflower status by area, so I would recommend them. I've seen beautiful wildflower shots from Pipe Organ Cactus NM, but have never been there myself. In general, I like the Tucson area for saguaro cactus fields and the Sedona area for red rock and water.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

jcothron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 12, 2011 13:10 |  #3

Yeah I suppose I should have been a little more specific Stan :) I'm almost definitely flying into Flagstaff and I can't imagine not seeing the canyon while I'm there (I've never been). I'm sure I'll spend a bit of time around Sedona as well.

I guess what I'm afraid of is after spending some time in those areas coming back and hearing "oh I can't believe you were so close to "insert place" and didn't go see it. :) I'm trying to avoid that..lol.

The flowers themselves...well, I'll predict as best I can but once I get there I'm there. I'll have SOME flexibility but not more than a day or so.

Thanks for the info just the same :)

John

Hartley
130 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Nov 12, 2011 15:27 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #4

In early March, finding desert flowers is not a sure thing at all - and very unlikely at Flagstaff, Grand Canyon or any other higher elevation. Some years they can be out in the low desert in March, but it's not dependable.
Flagstaff and the Canyon, in fact, are likely to still have significant snow.

Hartley J
Gear: 6D, 60D, 24-105L, 70-300L, Bigma, Tokina 12-24 18-55IS 430 EX II

jcothron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 12, 2011 15:36 |  #5

Hartley wrote in post #13390888 (external link)
In early March, finding desert flowers is not a sure thing at all - and very unlikely at Flagstaff, Grand Canyon or any other higher elevation. Some years they can be out in the low desert in March, but it's not dependable.
Flagstaff and the Canyon, in fact, are likely to still have significant snow.

Thank you, sounds like I need to adjust my dates some.

John

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 13, 2011 20:01 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #6

+1 on what Hartley said. It's still plenty chilly in northern Arizona in early March!

If you're going to the Grand Canyon, you might want to plan for going a little further North to Page, AZ. Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, The Wave, Rainbow Bridge and plenty of other well-known scenic locations to shoot in that area.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,234 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 14, 2011 07:37 |  #7

I've been to GC in winter and loved the red rock with snow all around. Sedona is a special place, and there are many good hikes. You'll want to do West Fork of Oak Creek for sure. Also, Red Rock Crossing at sunset is iconic. Be sure to visit Jerome, a ghost town on the mountain.

I agree with Page as a place to visit, for the slot canyons, Horseshoe Bend and the lake. I have spent weeks around there and never see it all. Between Flagstaff and Page, Coal Mine Canyon is one of my favorites.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 14, 2011 19:30 |  #8

The southern section of the state may have some blooms going in March, but with another dry winter in store, don't bet on a massive display.

As others mention, Memorial Day, or thereabouts, is more appropriate for the high country around Flagstaff.

Check the history of these sites to get a feel of what happens where and when:

http://www.desertusa.c​om/wildflo/wildupdates​.html (external link)
http://www.desertmuseu​m.org/programs/flw_des​ertbloom.php (external link)
http://www.cnps-yerbabuena.org/experie​nce/hotlines.html (external link)

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

Digital_zen
390 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 18, 2011 00:09 |  #9

Jerome is a really cool little old mining town, there is a bar and grill there with a big mural on the inside wall, can't recall the name, but it has awesome burgers! From one side of town you can see snow capped mountains in the distance. Also Cottonwood is nice, the post office there is still just a stack of letters etc. behind the counter of the general store, and the lady there just hands folks their mail as they come to pay for what they are buying, and she knows everyone by name! If you get a chance and don't mind walking through a river go to the Verde River hot-springs, there used to be a resort there called Verde River Resort of all things, and they say Capone used to stay there when things got hot in Chicago, it burned down a long time ago. There is a cement pool with the hot water flowing in, and even a couple of small caves with a few inches of hot mineral rich water in the bottoms of them , there are usually people around but it is such a nice place. I lived in Tempe for a while, right next to Phoenix, and did not see the canyon, I kick myself all the time about it. Also just so you know most of the people who say they live in Phoenix only say that because people have actually heard of Phoenix, but Phoenix itself was always pretty dead to me, I liked staying across the river in Tempe much better. Oh but above all else beware that Scottsdale crowd, unless you love polo shirts and golf carts that look like little cars.

You will find no more zen at the top of a mountain, than the zen that you bring there with you.

~zen proverb~

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 19, 2011 19:25 as a reply to  @ Digital_zen's post |  #10

It has been 17 years since I lived there but you also might want to take a day and make the trip from Mayer to Crown King. It used to be all gravel road but it took you down through the Sonoran Desert and up into the ponderosa pines of the Bradshaw Mountains and if you kept going, back into Prescott. Mayer and Crown King were old gold mining towns. I know there are great shots of rock outcroppings with barrel, chollo, occottio (sp?) and saguaro cacti along the way so I would think you could find your spring flowers and many other great shots and you would be shooting areas few others ever see. (Everyone shoots Sedona.) Crown King used to have an old general store/post office plus the switch backs getting there give you some great views. I traveled all over northern Arizona doing HVAC work and often had my old Canon AE-1 Program. There's also Sunset Crater, The Indian ruins right by it and the name escapes me, more Indian ruins just east of Flagstaff, the Hopi Villiages a few hours northeast of Flagstaff. There are a gazillion other places I could tell you about but you would need four wheel drive, a topo map, and lots of time. Pick up some of the old spring issues of Arizona Highways for flower ideas. I wish I was there to take you around but alas, I'm now in Indiana.

jcothron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 19, 2011 19:43 |  #11

I really appreciate everyone's input. All of you have given me a lot to digest. I'll be looking at all of this and getting some sort of itinerary set up. I'll communicate what I come up with.

John

RBChallenger
57 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 10, 2011 00:46 as a reply to  @ jcothron's post |  #12

I dont know if you plan to make it this far south, but in the spring Picacho Peak has really nice flowers round about that time. Of course, its always weather dependent. I guess it depends on how bad you want to see wildflowers, as that would be a hike from Flagstaff and back.

T1i (500d) | EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm f1.8

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Dec 10, 2011 01:48 |  #13

Keep an eye on this site throughout the winder and head for areas that have received the most precipitation.

http://water.weather.g​ov …ct=per_normal&l​oc=stateAZ (external link)

The Organ Pipe / Cabeza Prieta area got a gob of rain in November. If the area receives even average rainfall from here on out, the wildflowers might be booming come March. So we can hope ...

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

Owfin
83 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 17, 2011 17:23 |  #14

March is actually a good idea if you are going to the hot parts. The weather is beautiful (cool and sometimes even overcast) as are the blooming plants. It is our springtime.

One must use a banana to eat a fork.
A proud user of a Canon Rebel XS / 1000D and other such budget friendly toys!
My Smugmug (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 17, 2011 17:29 |  #15

I would squeeze out some more days for your trip. If you only plan on spending three days, then all you can realistically do is the Grand Canyon and a day in Sedona - that's it unless you want to spend all your time in a car driving. Plan on a full week and in addition drive up to Page - there's lots and lots of things to do up there. No wildflowers in march yet up north.

sponsored links

2,982 views & 0 likes for this thread
Taking a trip to Arizona
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.