Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Porteen Gear Large Camera Bag

tats
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 20, 2011 12:55 |  #1

So I have made tons of posts regarding my search for a bag that fits my needs while also not looking like a high school backpack.

I needed something that:

1) Could hold my camera and two lenses (70-200 IS II and 16-35)
2) Still have some room for misc, phone, filters, etc
3) Messenger style
4) Looked good either leather or waxed canvas.
5) Had enough padding to make me feel comfortable

In this search I looked at the Thinktank Retrospectives, some Domke bags and was very close to grabbing an Ona Union Street but nothing really seemed like the right fit for me.

I stumbled onto the Porteen gear bags that while they looked somewhat girly seemed to be up my alley. I did more research and the normal sized bag was just too small for my needs. But I found on the Etsy site that they were making a larger sized bag, read a review and went for it.

The best part is that while you can buy premade bags they also offer the ability to fully customize almost every aspect, colors, materials, etc.

I had a few back and forth emails with Robyn (the founder) about what would look good and how I would prefer to not have fabric on the outside, with full leather instead.

Here is the final spec sheet for my order

Accent Fabric: Ticker Strips
Leather: Distressed Brown
Strap Color: Brown
Waxed Canvas: Brown
Interior Color: Teal

Here is the bag closed with just a 70-200 in it

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i617.photobucke​t.com/albums/tt260/rob​flynny/5.jpg (external link)

http://i617.photobucke​t.com/albums/tt260/rob​flynny/4.jpg (external link)

Here is the inside with two padded "pockets" that are permanently attached, but can be collapsed and pushed back to the sides if you need either one large space or one smaller and one larger pocket.

http://i617.photobucke​t.com/albums/tt260/rob​flynny/3.jpg (external link)

You can't see from that picture, but the base of the bag has just about the equal amount of padding as you see on the dividers, I feel much more confident than some of the other bags that seemed prett lacking for bottom padding.

Here is another one wih the right pocket somewhat collapsed

http://i617.photobucke​t.com/albums/tt260/rob​flynny/2.jpg (external link)

Here you can see the seam on the front panel, where if you want you can get fabric instead of leather on the bottom half

http://i617.photobucke​t.com/albums/tt260/rob​flynny/1.jpg (external link)

One more thing that should pointed out is that the leather pad on the strap is VERY soft and pretty tacky so it should stay put. You can also see that it when on the groun it holds its shape and doesnt cave in on itself so putting things back in should be easy.

Overall I think I am going to be pretty happy with this and will update this post with some more thoughts after I take it away this weekend.

Hope this helps and hit me up with any questions.

Edit: Just realized I left out some other important info - so there is a laptop slot you can see in the third picture as well as a pocket in the back that looks like it might get tight with anything more than an iPad if it is loaded up.

The 4th picture also shows the zip pocket in the front that also may be kind of tight if the bag is loaded up.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD
Feedback/Gear --- Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 21, 2011 15:14 |  #2

Very interesting ... looking over the web site (haven't been to the Etsy site yet), one could spend an eternity just selecting leathers and fabrics and other design choices. They could probably make it in less time than I would spend just deciding on the options! :D :lol:

Does it have a stiff layer under the padded bottom under your gear?

-howard

tats
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 21, 2011 15:17 |  #3

hfgarris wrote in post #13285863 (external link)
Very interesting ... looking over the web site (haven't been to the Etsy site yet), one could spend an eternity just selecting leathers and fabrics and other design choices. They could probably make it in less time than I would spend just deciding on the options! :D :lol:

-howard

Hmm - not sure, let me check I think it may just be padding ad then the cavas bottom...

I agree on the choices, I sort of told her that I was A) a man and B) kind of what I was looking for and she helped steer me towards a few things.

Rob
Canon 5DMkII -- Zeiss 21 2.8 -- 35L -- 50 1.8 -- 70-200 2.8L IS II FOR SALE -- 2X III Extender SOLD

StuttgartRob
33 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 22, 2011 05:22 |  #4

thanks for the review

this seems to be what I was looking for.

Canon EOS 60D
Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

tats
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 25, 2011 11:28 |  #5

hfgarris wrote in post #13285863 (external link)

-howard

Looked this weekend and yes there is a stiff layer under the padding that is pretty rigid

Rob

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 25, 2011 11:35 |  #6

tats wrote in post #13303923 (external link)
Looked this weekend and yes there is a stiff layer under the padding that is pretty rigid

Thanks ... That should give good protection when putting the bag down on the lenses.

Porteen Gear seems to offer just about anything your mind can think up for a totally custom bag! You won't see another just like it, anywhere. Very nice!

-howard

MonkeyBoxers
178 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 25, 2011 21:36 as a reply to  @ hfgarris's post |  #7

This seems like a very good website to make my own bag!

Tats - how you finding the bag so far? Any problems with the shoulder strap? I was thinking of buying Crumpler (sturdiness), but for that pricing I can customise my own leather messenger bag! :cool:

Would you recommend a medium or large for - 5D Mark II - 35L - 580II flash?

5D Mark II . 35L . 85mm 1.8 . 135L . 17-40L
flickr (external link)

dylshi
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2011 22:59 |  #8

Is it weather proof?

tats
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 26, 2011 13:44 |  #9

MonkeyBoxers wrote in post #13307021 (external link)
This seems like a very good website to make my own bag!

Tats - how you finding the bag so far? Any problems with the shoulder strap? I was thinking of buying Crumpler (sturdiness), but for that pricing I can customise my own leather messenger bag! :cool:

Would you recommend a medium or large for - 5D Mark II - 35L - 580II flash?

So in my larger bag, I usually have a 70-200 IS II and a 16-35 mounted to my 5D2. Those take up both of the padded pockets with room in the middle for filters, batteries, etc.

I think the large is the perfect size and to be honest it might betight once I get my Lee filter holder and filters, but Im pretty sure they wil all fit in the middle.

dylshi wrote in post #13307406 (external link)
Is it weather proof?

I am not sure and to be honest don't really plan on taking it out in bad weather. If you have a question shoot Robyn an email, I was getting minute to minute responses from her.

Rob

Tiger_993
553 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2011 09:58 |  #10

tats wrote in post #13310445 (external link)
So in my larger bag, I usually have a 70-200 IS II and a 16-35 mounted to my 5D2. Those take up both of the padded pockets with room in the middle for filters, batteries, etc.

Thanks for your review - this looks like a great custom bag option. Here's another question I haven't been able to find an answer to looking at photos: it sounds like you store the 5D2 mounted to the 16-35.....do you store this combo vertically with the lens down, or in a horizontal or some other config?

5DM2 + BG-E6 | 50 1.4 | TS-E 17L | 16-35L | 135L | 70-200 f/4L IS

tats
THREAD ­ STARTER
869 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 21, 2011 10:38 |  #11

Tiger_993 wrote in post #13430427 (external link)
Thanks for your review - this looks like a great custom bag option. Here's another question I haven't been able to find an answer to looking at photos: it sounds like you store the 5D2 mounted to the 16-35.....do you store this combo vertically with the lens down, or in a horizontal or some other config?

I usually go lens down but for actualy traveling (not wakling around to take photos) I put it body down but it takes a bit of adjustment to get it in there. The "compartments" are JUST big enough for the 5D2 to get in there. Usually I have the "compartment" around the lens with the body resting on the edge.

I will say that right now with my 70-200, 5d2+16-35 along with my lee kit, filters, remote and some other stuff in the center it gets pretty full. I would say that is max capacity.

If I remember tonight I can take a fully loaded picture.

Rob

sponsored links

6,891 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Porteen Gear Large Camera Bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.