Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 21 Nov 2011 (Monday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New 2T lacie hard drive , over 500megs show used

Turning
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2011 15:18 |  #1

I just received and formated (using their starup app) a Lacie 2 TB external harddrive. I was surprised to see that under properties it shows over 500 mb already "used" on drive.

Is that because of defective sectors or what? My other hard drives showed much less spaced used when new than that.

Needless to say I am not much of a hardware guy....

I do see some folders but the totals don't add up to 526megs. Guess about within about 200 megs, though, so maybe that is normal with the bigger drives....

sponsored links
morpheus6d9
433 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 21, 2011 15:31 |  #2

try formatting the drive w/o using the lacie software

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

tim
Light Bringer
50,920 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 21, 2011 17:58 |  #3

Yep format it using the OS. Note that a 2TB hard drive will have a little less space than that available, but not much. It's about the whole megabyte = 1000 or 1024 thing.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Chrizz
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 22, 2011 07:46 |  #4

which one did you buy?

Canon 500d | EFS 18-55 IS | Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD

Turning
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 23, 2011 13:00 |  #5

Chrizz wrote in post #13434856 (external link)
which one did you buy?

I bought the LaCie Porsche Design P'9230 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive 302002

Really didn't need the 2 tb yet, but with the high prices lately the 1tb was only around 25 percent cheaper so I couldn't resist.

I like it so far. Very quiet except for the spacecraft sound it makes when starting to spin up.

My only real complaint (so far) is that the thing would go to sleep within what seemed like a few minutes.

I poked around on the drive and found a Lacie utility that apparently allows me to set that sleep interval to 5, 10, 30, etc minutes which I did. Set to 30 minutes and first impression is that it took.

fwiw (I don't know much about benchmarking hds) I ran a speedtest on it and a USB 2 1tb WD external. The seek time was a bit quicker on the 1tb, but most of the other transfer speeds seem to be 2 to 4 times as fast and the newer USB 3. one.

Chrizz
189 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 23, 2011 13:33 |  #6

cool.
i am also in search for something similar.
I think i will eventually go with an external enclosure+2Tb disk.

Canon 500d | EFS 18-55 IS | Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC USD XLD

sponsored links

883 views & 0 likes for this thread
New 2T lacie hard drive , over 500megs show used
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.