Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Nov 2011 (Monday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for first Canon DSLR

Quack ­ Me ­ Up
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 21, 2011 20:42 |  #1

Hello all,
This is my first time to this site and forum. I currently own an Olympus E620 and am debating moving over to Canon. I want to get into waterfowl photography so I'm looking for a camera with good C-AF properties for the flying shots.
Lets say, for now, I have a budget of about $1700.00 for a body. I am looking for opinions on what Canon bodies would you recommend and why.
I am open to new, used, or refurbished. I didn't know if maybe it would be better to buy a slightly used higher end model than a brand new middle of the line one.
I am totally new to Canon so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

sponsored links
TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 21, 2011 21:03 |  #2

I think you have a lot of nice choices open to you. Many folks who do birds in flight or general wildlife photography will use crop sensor cameras such as the 7D, 60D, T3i, T2i because of the extra reach afforded by the smaller sensor. I use a crop because I am both cheap and use them underwater and like a smaller form factor. As you go up in price you get fancier and faster AF though your glass will affect that as much as the body. I shoot with just the center AF point on the one-shot mode 99% of the time as it is the best on my camera and allows me to frame up the shot as I like. I am just a hobbyist so take my input as such.

The one thing I heard repeatedly when I moved over to DSLR was save the money on the body and spend it on the glass and I think that is really good advice.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Nov 21, 2011 21:04 |  #3

BTW, I am in Champlin so just down the road from you. I walk around and shoot in the Elm Creek Park Preserve quite a bit.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

Raylon
Goldmember
1,078 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 21, 2011 21:05 |  #4

C-AF in Canon I am guessing would be our Ai Servo focusing mode. WIth that budget I would either look into the 7D or a used 1D series. Being a 7D user I would favor it, but I think a 1D mark ii would also be possible. I will let someone else with more knowledge of both cameras help you there. What kind of budget do you have for lenses?

7D l Canon 70-200 f/4L IS l Canon 85mm f/1.8 l ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 l Canon 50mm f/1.8 II l S95
Full Gear List and Marketplace Feedback
My SmugMug (external link)

Quack ­ Me ­ Up
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 22, 2011 13:19 |  #5

For lenses I will probably start with the 70-200 2.8 after that I will look here for opinions. I might start a thread with that question soon as maybe they will recommend some better choices from the start bypassing the 70-200.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Nov 22, 2011 13:37 |  #6

Birds in Flight? Your best bet will be the 7D. Crop sensor gives you more pixels on target so you have more freedom to crop and still have a clean image, while the very advanced auto focus system can track the bird as it moves around the frame, and it can shoot at 8 frames per second. It also fits right into your budget.

I have a 60D and it is also quite capable, but people who have used both for birding generally prefer the 7D for the reasons I mentioned above.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,823 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 22, 2011 14:43 |  #7

Quack Me Up wrote in post #13436386 (external link)
For lenses I will probably start with the 70-200 2.8 after that I will look here for opinions. I might start a thread with that question soon as maybe they will recommend some better choices from the start bypassing the 70-200.

Unless you are super close, that won't get it done for BIFs. I would suggest you look for a 400 5.6 and fill in around that if birds are what you are really after.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 22, 2011 14:49 |  #8

Sounds like a 7D would be a good choice, I think you could probably find a 1D3 for that price as well, although the 7D would probably allow you more money for lenses, which is more than half the battle for birding.

Quack ­ Me ­ Up
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 22, 2011 14:52 |  #9

The 400 5.6 is not IS correct? How much of a factor is that? How is the 300 f4 for BIF?
Thanks.

Trowski
85 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 22, 2011 14:59 |  #10

Do you have a $1700 budget for the body and then more for a lens? You mentioned a 70-200 2.8, but even the non-IS version is $1300, and honestly I'd really want to save up for the IS II if I were you. However, like huntersdad mentioned, 200mm isn't enough for BIF, you'll want to look at a 400mm f/5.6 or maybe a 300mm f/4 IS + 1.4x. The 400mm f/5.6 is not IS, but that doesn't matter for BIF. However I've always preferred the 300mm f/4 IS because it has IS and is much more versatile. It has a minimum focusing distance short enough to take semi-macro photos and adding the 1.4x gets you a very nice quality 420mm f/5.6 lens.

But for the topic at hand, if you have a $1700 budget for a body, then I'd recommend a 7D. I think you'd be happy with the AF performance and ability to crop a bit if you can't get close enough.

- Trowski

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 22, 2011 15:01 |  #11

Should sensor size even come into the equasion? Unless Quack Me Up is willing to spend 2000.00 dollars on a 5Dmk2 body only (NEW), I wouldn't even mention sensor size. Any of the lower models (NEW) are going to be APS-C sized sensors anyway.

All sensors perform wonderfully, and can give great results, so I wouldn't sweat it.....

Cheers,

David

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Quack ­ Me ­ Up
THREAD ­ STARTER
226 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 22, 2011 19:02 as a reply to  @ davidc502's post |  #12

Thanks for the input everyone. My tentative budget for a body is about $1700. Lenses will come after as money allows.
Trowski, Why do you say that "IS" is not important for BIF? Not doubting you, just asking.

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,823 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 22, 2011 21:25 as a reply to  @ Quack Me Up's post |  #13

For most BIFs, you'll be in the 1/750-1000 or higher shutter speed. Rule of thumb is SS to prevent shake from showing is 1/(FL*Crop Factor). For a 400 on a 7d, that would be 1(400*1.6), or 1/640. That being said, IS wouldn't be a factor for the most part.

However, since you are considering a 7d, keep in mind that the sensor on that camera is packed with 18mp. This is both great and terrible. Yes, you can get better resolution and have more cropability. However, it will amplify any technique problems you have. This can include anything from handholding technique to improper exposure.

IMHO, to answer your original question (which I never did do), I would go with a 50d and save the money for glass rather than starting with what is widely considered an entry level pro camera. The 7d is a highly technical camera and requires considerable time getting to know. You're first results likely will fall well short of what you think your getting. The last thing anyone wants to see happen is you buy a camera, don't get the results and give up. I would personally never suggest a 7d for someone with little experience with a DSLR.

But that's just me. Not trying to rain on the parade but just sayin'.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links

1,355 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for first Canon DSLR
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.