Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 22 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 18:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long-whiskered Owlet (Peru)

Glenn ­ Bartley
238 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 22, 2011 18:32 |  #1

A few weeks ago I had one of those days in the field that I will NEVER forget. The day started off with an unbelievable opportunity to photograph an Undulated Antpitta. Later on I had a phenomenal chance to photograph the Royal Sunangel. I was feeling pretty good about the day at this point and decided to try my luck at some owling that night. My target was the Long-whiskered Owlet and to be honest I did not think I had a chance to see it let alone photograph it.

The Long-whiskered Owlet is an enigma. The bird was only discovered in 1976 and was then not seen again until 2002! Even to this day very few people have had good looks at it.

At just 5 inches this bird is the smallest species of Owl in the world. It is so unique that upon discovery ornithologists immediately put it in to its own genus "Xenoglaux" which means "strange owl".

That evening I trekked down a muddy trail into the elfin cloud forest and I waited patiently to hopefully hear the birds call. Before long, to my delight, I heard what I believed to be an Owlet calling in the distance. I began to use the birds call to try to lure him in towards me.

I'm sure you can all imagine the adrenaline and excitement that I was feeling when I realized that it was working and the bird was coming closer. I stood motionless. I didn't dare fiddle with my equipment. I didn't dare check to see what insects were crawling up my leg. Heck...I didn't dare breathe!!

And then...I saw a flash of movement in front of me. The moon was nearly full and there was enough light to just make out the movement. I shone my flashlight in the direction of the fluttering object and there he was not even 20 feet away on an open branch staring right at me - The Owlet :shock:

As I walked back up the hill after photographing this incredible bird I could hardly believe what had just happened. I think that there are moments in our lives as photographers that I think we will never forget. For me this was most definitely one of them :D

IMAGE: http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6341/longwhiskeredowlet01.jpg

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On
Focal length: 500mm

Glenn Bartley - Victoria, BC, Canada

sponsored links
Charles ­ Roy
Goldmember
2,387 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 22, 2011 18:35 |  #2

Glenn!here is an outstanding owl picture.

https://www.charlesroy​.photos (external link)
D800|D800E|D3s
Nikkor ais 28mm 2.8|Nikkor ais 50mm 2.0|Nikkor ais 135mm 2.8|Nikkor ais 400mm 3.5|Nikkor AF 28-105mm|Nikkor AFS 80-200mm 2.8|Nikkor AF 300mm 4.0|Nikkor AF 300mm 2.8|Sigma 150mm Macro 2.8|2 X Tamron AF pro TC 1.4X

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,594 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 22, 2011 18:42 |  #3

Outstanding image and story, Glen; but that look says "Get the &^%$ outta my woods!" :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

ErnieT
717 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 22, 2011 18:55 |  #4

Amazing story, and awesome picture! Thanks for sharing! You are a lucky man!

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 7D MKII, Canon 16-35 F4L IS, Canon 70-200mm F2.8, Canon 100-400 MKII, Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,730 posts
Gallery: 326 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 22, 2011 20:08 |  #5

Amazing story and shot. Wow.

Levina (not Lavina, Lavinia, Levinia, Ludwina and what not, mkay?)
My flickr (external link)

chubri777
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 23, 2011 01:03 |  #6

Awsome shot and story.

Regards,
Chuck

flurp
152 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 23, 2011 02:21 |  #7

Well done!!

Waldemar ­ Sikorski
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 23, 2011 02:32 |  #8

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i717.photobucke​t.com …jjrtr/Smileys/g​reat_4.gif (external link)

Val.
http://picasaweb.googl​e.com/sikorskienator (external link)
Picasa albums organized by bird species. (external link)
7D gripped, 40D gripped....100-400L Yes, it's taken with the Sigma 150-500.

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2011 03:36 |  #9

amazing story .. and image Glenn

Joe52
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 23, 2011 05:23 |  #10

Fantastic shot Glenn, great story to go with it, only 5 inches, incredible.

My 500px (external link)

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,638 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Nov 23, 2011 06:28 as a reply to  @ Joe52's post |  #11

To think you got such an outstanding shot in the circumstance is indeed incredible. You must be very happy and very proud of that one, it'll stand out in your memory for a lifetime! Now tell me you were handholding the 500 and I'll hate you forever :lol::lol:

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

MakeMeShutter
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 23, 2011 08:12 |  #12

I read this story last night on my Ipod while browsing the forum, and all I can say is FANTASTIC!

...nope... REALLY FANTASTIC!

Great work!

New York Dragonflies (external link)
NYDragonflies.com

sponsored links

1,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long-whiskered Owlet (Peru)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.