Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Nov 2011 (Tuesday) 20:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

white seamless/tile board help

Mr.Beast
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 22, 2011 20:40 |  #1

Finally shooting on seamless, but I have a bit of an issue. To keep it simple, the thrifty white tile board will only overexpose to white at a really low shooting angle. Any higher of an angle and it's just at the edge.I know that the board is only picking up the glare/reflection of my bg lights if I stay low, but that just ain't gonna fly.
It's probably something completely obvious and I'm thinking past the mark. Anyone got any ideas?
I mean, I can still work with the files in ps, but I try to keep things simple.

With ps I did manage this

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6386711287_5c1f71eb20_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frank_a_m/63867​11287/  (external link)
1st Seamless-Brandon (external link) by Frank Mendez (external link), on Flickr

And this
IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6226/6386711463_e4e7dfa306_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frank_a_m/63867​11463/  (external link)
1st Seamless-Haidee (external link) by Frank Mendez (external link), on Flickr

And before anyone says "just turn up your bg lights", I obviously already tried that. As well as opening up/increasing iso. And all that does is flare/spill back. I thought my main light would blow it white, but nope. I mean, the overexposed tile board is just the reflection of the overexposed background. I know angle of incidence=angle of reflection, but how do I angle the seamless so the board will catch it where I want?

5D classic - 1000d - 28/2.8 - 50/1.8 - 85/1.8 - Mamiya RB67
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 23, 2011 00:55 |  #2

Please post the before as well as how it was set up. Distance from background to model to camera really come into play here. Even Zack Arias himself says shooting angle is key and that you need to drop down a little.

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 07:23 |  #3

Yeah, just saw that part.

" Try dropping down a little when shooting. At some angle that white tile board acts as a “mirror” and you pick up the white reflection of the background. That pops it to white. If I stand up too high, the floor goes grey."

I think after being up for 24 hours my brain tries to bend the laws of physics. It does not usually succeed.
Anyhoo, I'll just have to find what angles work for me and deal with the rest in photoshop.

flickr (external link)

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 07:40 |  #4

The setup shot:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7006/6388963489_a3223cf9a6_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/frank_a_m/63889​63489/  (external link)
IMG_8572 (external link) by Frank Mendez (external link), on Flickr

2 hotshoe flashes on back, 1 in an 60 in convertible umbrella. The flags I have on back are working just fine. I mean, I had some poster board flags set up earlier, but there wasn't a huge if any difference in the two.
I'll try and roll more paper out to the floor. I thought I had at least 6 feet out but I am the worst at measuring by eye. It was probably more like 4 ft. That'll increase the angle of the board to the bg. That might help.

flickr (external link)

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Nov 23, 2011 08:02 |  #5

Check out Zack Arias's white seamless discussion. Very helpful on setting up a white seamless shot.

http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 09:40 |  #6

OneyedJack wrote in post #13440247 (external link)
Check out Zack Arias's white seamless discussion. Very helpful on setting up a white seamless shot.

http://www.zarias.com …torial-part-1-gear-space/ (external link)

Yep. If you've seen my posts, pretty much all of them have some form of quote from that man. I like his philosophy because it's simple (though maybe too simple sometimes) and effective. And if I'm anything, it's simple :D

But yeah, that's the main thing I went to for a checklist of things to try in case something didn't work out. And honestly, there don't seem to be too many other photographers who are so open about everything like Zack-and if there are point me to 'em. Fortunately-and obviously- it pretty much worked out from the get-go. Now just some fine tuning.

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 23, 2011 10:05 |  #7

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13440661 (external link)
And honestly, there don't seem to be too many other photographers who are so open about everything like Zack-and if there are point me to 'em.

If you don't now these two, you should.
Neil Turner: http://www.dg28.com/te​chnique/index.htm (external link)
Neil van Niekerk: http://neilvn.com …/1-natural-looking-flash/ (external link)

Also:
Strobist: http://www.strobist.bl​ogspot.com/ (external link)
Frank Doorhof: http://www.frankdoorho​f.com/site/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 23, 2011 10:11 |  #8

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13438309 (external link)
the thrifty white tile board will only overexpose to white at a really low shooting angle

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13440155 (external link)
The setup shot:

So, if I understand your issue correct: The floor is going from white to grayish in the front?

Put the right flash (the one illuminating the background) higher (level, not power).

Like you say: The floorboard works as a mirror: Angle in = angle out. You're "seeing" a higher portion of the BG reflected.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 23, 2011 10:55 |  #9

Ok, your distance from background to model looks decent. The distance from camera to model comes into play as well. If you can get back and shoot around 85mm down low, it's not as obvious. From there you move your model around a little to get them in the reflection.

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 11:04 |  #10

Awesome. Thank you so much René. I hadn't heard of the first and last guys. A shame really because they seem to be amazing photographers. They are now added to my morning blog roll.

And that's the first thing I'm gonna try. The way I had the flashes there, the light was probably just going through the back and reflected straight forward. Barely skimming the floor. I think I tried lowering the lights which obviously didn't work. Bounced up to the ceiling. So, if I raise the lights, and maybe angle the down a bit, it should bounce to the floor. Right?

flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 23, 2011 11:23 |  #11

Raise the lights, angle them however is needed to light the BG paper evenly. The angle doesn't matter further: The paper is matte.

The floor is glossy and will reflect the paper white & appear white.

Frank Doorhof is a member here as well, and started at Kelby training recently.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2011 11:34 |  #12

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13440661 (external link)
And honestly, there don't seem to be too many other photographers who are so open about everything like Zack-and if there are point me to 'em. Fortunately-and obviously- it pretty much worked out from the get-go. Now just some fine tuning.

Who hides their stuff? I know people dont say how they PP but set up stuff is pretty much shared from what I have seen.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Mr.Beast
THREAD ­ STARTER
202 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 23, 2011 13:28 |  #13

sigma pi wrote in post #13441154 (external link)
Who hides their stuff? I know people dont say how they PP but set up stuff is pretty much shared from what I have seen.

Well, I most likely spoke from ignorance. I don't really know too much about too many of the other guys out there. Other than the super famous names, and some of the people on this forum, I don't follow much anyone else. Tunnel vision.

But now, I seem to be having an entirely different issue. My 5d seems to be getting flare near the top of the shot. Then the very same shot with my rebel is fine. Same lens, same settings. Weird. I'll post some sample shots in a bit.

flickr (external link)

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 23, 2011 13:32 |  #14

sigma pi wrote in post #13441154 (external link)

Oh man, I know a guy.........
I wanted to hire him to shoot photos of my family, no dice. He flat out told me he doesn't want me knowing his studio or his locations.

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 23, 2011 13:33 |  #15

Mr.Beast wrote in post #13441672 (external link)
Well, I most likely spoke from ignorance. I don't really know too much about too many of the other guys out there. Other than the super famous names, and some of the people on this forum, I don't follow much anyone else. Tunnel vision.

But now, I seem to be having an entirely different issue. My 5d seems to be getting flare near the top of the shot. Then the very same shot with my rebel is fine. Same lens, same settings. Weird. I'll post some sample shots in a bit.

That's because one is a crop, one is not.

sponsored links

8,795 views & 0 likes for this thread
white seamless/tile board help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.