Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 13:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nik software

D.C.
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 23, 2011 13:02 |  #1

Just got an e-mail from them with the price of $199 for the plugin software. Is this a good price??

http://www.niksoftware​.com …201483732&mid=1​15479&jb=0 (external link)

Code BLF2011

Duane
7D, 430EX,10-22, 100 Macro, 100-400, 24-105, 500 F/4 IS

My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2011 14:53 |  #2

its as good as it gets I don't recall seeing it lower, its a great software I use it on nearly all my images now

if you can swing the photoshop edition its worth the extra money, having to launch LR - Viveza, save, LR - Color Efex, save, LR - sharpener, save is a pain and being able to do it within Photoshop is worth the extra money, the brush from the PS edition comes in handy also

but I used the LR only edition for about 2 years I just finally upgraded to the PS edition a few months ago and if you go to do that they only charge you the difference in the two prices anyway but I doubt they would honor that I had to pay 300 to upgrade

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

hammer2k
353 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 23, 2011 16:41 |  #3

Same price on Adorama and free shipping. With ebates or mrrebate, you can get cash back when you link thru to adorama.

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 23, 2011 16:59 |  #4

Adorama is at 4% right now on mrrebates

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2011 07:42 |  #5

iT'S A BARGAIN AT ANY PRICE.

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 29, 2011 15:58 |  #6

It seems price went up on Adorama.

BTW, how does the Nik suite compare against the Topaz suite?

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 30, 2011 13:10 |  #7

dgsphoto wrote in post #13470097 (external link)
It seems price went up on Adorama.

BTW, how does the Nik suite compare against the Topaz suite?

This is just personal opinion, but Topaz is more of a toy, and Nik is more of an every day squeeze that little bit extra out of a picture tool. Topaz has come a long way from being a wannabe copy of LucisArt, but I still don't think they hold a candle to Nik when it comes to real world useful tools.

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 30, 2011 13:17 |  #8

For $50 you can get Corel Paint Shop Pro X4, which includes Color Efex Pro 3.

buggz
789 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 30, 2011 13:55 |  #9

And I on the other hand...
Totally like the Topaz tools.
The ones that I use all the time are, Denoise5 and Detail2.
As for the other Topaz effects tools, no, you DON'T have to use the sometimes overdone and garish defaults.
A subtle blend works great, I like them and use them almost all the time.
I can't think of the last time I used my Vivesa2, the only Nik software I have.

griptape wrote in post #13474684 (external link)
This is just personal opinion, but Topaz is more of a toy, and Nik is more of an every day squeeze that little bit extra out of a picture tool. Topaz has come a long way from being a wannabe copy of LucisArt, but I still don't think they hold a candle to Nik when it comes to real world useful tools.

5DMkII, 40D w/ grip, lenses, flashes, more stuff.

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 30, 2011 14:16 |  #10

buggz wrote in post #13474920 (external link)
And I on the other hand...
Totally like the Topaz tools.
The ones that I use all the time are, Denoise5 and Detail2.
As for the other Topaz effects tools, no, you DON'T have to use the sometimes overdone and garish defaults.
A subtle blend works great, I like them and use them almost all the time.
I can't think of the last time I used my Vivesa2, the only Nik software I have.

I can't think of the last time I used viveza either, as I've always applied layer masks to achieve the same results, so I just stick with it. And true, Topaz can be very useful when you lower the opacity of the layer and make it less garish. As for Denoise and Detail, in my experience Dfine and Sharpener Pro outperform them, and are more user friendly for final output.

Those aren't the highlights of the Nik suite to me though; ColorFX and SilverFX are the tools that in many cases I can't even duplicate the results in Lightroom with, and although a good 95% of my work is done in Lightroom, Nik is one of the few reasons for me to open Photoshop (the Pixelbender plugins, Lucisart, and onOne are the other reasons).

But again, all just personal opinion. Use the right tool for the right job that fits your personal workflow and creative vision.

sponsored links

1,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nik software
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.