Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 23 Nov 2011 (Wednesday) 09:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yellowstone Bison question

Nordwil57
582 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 23, 2011 09:53 |  #1

Grabbed a couple of bison shots one cold September morning in Hayden Valley. Any thoughts on the processing techniques? I'm trying to print up a couple and would like the B&W effect, but I'm not sold on that over the color. I also liked the "Antique" effect that was an instant option in iPhoto and used it on the bison and calf pic.

I turned the bison head shot into B&W on Picasa after downloading from Flickr, so I'm not sure of the quality.

Can anybody give me their preferences? (My wife would like to stick with a B&W theme, but I'm not sure I want to process to fit the decor :))

First the antique:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6096/6292659356_7d8ca183d9.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/rwilhelmsen/6​292659356/  (external link)
Bison and calf (external link) by rwilhelmsen (external link), on Flickr

And the 2 head shots:

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/6389615309_ecfdceda5e.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/rwilhelmsen/6​389615309/  (external link)
B&W (external link) by rwilhelmsen (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6112/6389599775_7b11c32739.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/rwilhelmsen/6​389599775/  (external link)
6195704783_795bed0a7f_​o (external link) by rwilhelmsen (external link), on Flickr

Thanks for looking!

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
croberts02
23 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 23, 2011 11:02 |  #2

Personally I like the third (color) the best. The colors are fairly cool and understated in that picture anyway, so it's not like they take away from the picture (assuming color can take away from a picture).

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 23, 2011 11:27 |  #3

Thanks, I know what you mean about the color. The backlighting kind of added to that as well I think, plus helped show the breath a bit.

Would like more contrast in the B&W if going that route I think, but hard to accomplish without losing the left side of his face.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 23, 2011 19:10 as a reply to  @ Nordwil57's post |  #4

I like the third pic best. Bison are hard for me becasue they are so dark in contrast. I have the same issue with black bear.

AZ ­ Pix
563 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 23, 2011 22:19 as a reply to  @ Hoosier Writer's post |  #5

I love black and white and prefer it much of the time, but I have to agree, #3 is the best shot here. You can desaturate a little more and see what happens, but it's pretty darn good as is.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,050 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2011 23:05 |  #6

I'm unfamiliar with iPhoto, even though I own it. If you have an exposure control, move it up about +1.

Increase saturation a bit, then see how you like the color.

I think Bison have subtle changes in their coats, so color is nice to have.

Find some shots of the Bison with the light hitting their faces from the side or front, see if you like those even more.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 24, 2011 10:12 |  #7

Thanks for the tips! I'll play with it a bit more in iPhoto and Aperture perhaps and see what I can come up with.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

EarlE
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 25, 2011 12:04 |  #8

It is all a matter of opinion so you have to take ideas for what they are worth. Personally, I think for a b & w to work it has to have a lot of contrast. Most of Ansel Adams photos pop because they have white whites and black black. Your photo is all tones of gray. I would go with #3, also because of that. There is just enough color to better see the Bison. I might also bump the saturation just a little.

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 26, 2011 07:14 |  #9

EarlE wrote in post #13449688 (external link)
It is all a matter of opinion so you have to take ideas for what they are worth. Personally, I think for a b & w to work it has to have a lot of contrast. Most of Ansel Adams photos pop because they have white whites and black black. Your photo is all tones of gray. I would go with #3, also because of that. There is just enough color to better see the Bison. I might also bump the saturation just a little.

I agree about the contrast. If they weren't backlit, or it was more of a grey day I may have been able to achieve that look, although maybe at the expense of the steam and breath.

Having the sun hit one side of the face makes it almost impossible to increase contrast without losing the detail on the other side.

Thanks for all the input! Time to PP a bit more and see what develops.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,050 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 26, 2011 09:06 |  #10

Well, you can kinda fake the contrast, but only so much. Push the highlights and move the black point around in conjunction with exposure in Camera Raw.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

1,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yellowstone Bison question
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.